BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

riding a bicycle

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by RICBAK1, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can ride 50 miles now, swim 30 lengths of the baths but only walk 500 yards.
    Will I be able to bike and swim after full knee replacement and walk more?

I have no pain now, will I after? Hope I can get an answer

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

United States United States
    Welcome to the forum, Ricbak1. You will find a wealth of information in the Library and from member posts. Please take time to read and read and read. The more you know, the more relaxed you will become about the procedure you're about to undergo.

YES, you will be able to bike and swim and walk pain free after your TKR. There are quite a few bikers on the forum--check the recovery side. In the Social Room there's a Cycle Club thread. There are swimmers and those who do hydrotherapy as part of their rehab. And all of us are walkers.

I had two knees done 2 days apart and could walk with less pain immediately after surgery than before. Now I am walking pain free all the time. I'm not a swimmer or biker, but I could be if I wanted to. I'm sure you'll be hearing from the bikers in the near future and they are all great guys.

I repeat--do your reading and ask all the questions you need to. We are here to give you answers, allay your concerns, and give you support and encouragement when needed. Keep us posted. We care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. viver45

viver45 Member

Welcome RicBak1!

I can answer 100% about the walking - you should be able to walk further than you can now (I would say WILL, but can't make promises - LOL). I was up and walking the day after surgery - without pain. Walking further than I had painfree within a couple days. It is GREAT. I really wish I would have done the surgery just a little earlier. I have already spoken with my OS about doing my left knee about 6 months out from my first.

Ask any questions you have - this forum is WONDERFUL!!!!:yes 4:

4. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

walking -- it was the thing I am enjoying MOST since my TKRs it hast taken awhile but I'm 15 1/2 months from my LTKR 7 1/2 months from my RTKR.
    Pretty much I am no longer limited in anyway way when it comes to walking. I spent 10 hours walking around Disneyland 4 weeks ago no cane, no crutches and NO pain meds!
    it just take a long time to recover and at times feels it is going SO SLOW.
    Just don't expect things go fast!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

Well, I should sincerely hope so! Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in having it done, would there! :wink1:

You should read in here Stories of amazing knee recoveries and see what other people have been able to do.

6. BigGene

BigGene Sr Bonesmartie

Friday I rode 25, sat I rode 20, Sunday I walked five miles. No pain, no swelling, no stiffness. I am 7 and 13 months post TKR.

Yes, you will be able to do do things that you barely remember.. It will take some time, full recovery was not easy,but I was back on my bike 4 weeks after each surgery, walking and hiking 1-2 miles at 7 weeks.

Welcome to the forum, read and learn, support and be supported. We are all here to help you through the process.

Remember though, we all heal differently and at different rates. Keep your expectations under check.. You will get there but it is a marathon.

7. referee54

referee54 Moderator

My goodness1 you will be amazed at what you are capable of doing!

I regularly ride 40-50 miles 3X-4X a week, I umpire HS and college baseball games, I work part time at a farm and I work full time as a classroom educator---no pain, no stiffness, no aches, nothing but a great life now. I also have a workout at least twice a week with an elliptical machine for about an hour each time.

Recovery may take longer than we would like it too, but it is so very much worth it.

8. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

As others have said, YES you will be able to cycle afterwards.

I find I am potentially stronger now, as I can put more force through the knees. Also I now pedal (not peddle, there are some cool double entendres around this forum... :th_heehee:) straighter than before; my prior action on the bike was unconsciously crooked.

9. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

thanks foradvice but unfortunatly op got cancelled while i was in hospital patiant before me was having trouble on table so had no time to do mine sent home and now have no date they dont now when sat up most of night worrying not about knee pain but if going to get new one this is 3rd time ive been cancelled sorry to nag ricbak1

10. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

I can only imagine how frustrated you are at this point. It's a real bummer--I had my original dates cancelled because I developed shingles. Fortunately I got the necessary medication right away and was rescheduled two week later. But 3 times! Maybe next time will be the charm and it will get done.

11. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

@Josephine: @Jaycey: Jaycey or Jo will be able to tell you for sure, but it is my understanding that when you are cancelled from surgery in Great Britain, it puts you on a priority list for rescheduling and you cannot be cancelled again. Since you have had THREE cancellations, I would say you have an excellent opportunity to go to the top of the list. I'd start making some phone calls.

12. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Oh man, this is totally out of order! Please get on the phone and remind staff that you have been cancelled twice. You certainly should be on top of someone's list - but make sure they know your situation. Please don't just wait for them to get back to you. Call your OS office tomorrow and demand a date!

Please let us know how you get on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.