BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Rider1960, Dorothy, back home finally!!!! (the long version!)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by rider1960, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Hi Dee and Diane. Thanks for checking on me :)

Diane, I agree--I think I definitely DO have a great surgeon working on me. I'm so grateful I found him. Every one who knows him considers him to be like Hip Royalty.

Pre-op preparations are going along. I'll be finishing tying up all the loose ends next weekend. I still have to get some stretchy knit shorts or capris to wear after the surgery--I remember how the swelling came and went, so I need something really comfortable to wear, buy some more non-perishable food to stock up, and a complete a few animal related tasks. I'm working at my job right up to the surgery date with my last day just the day before, so I'll need to do most things on the weekend before.

Mentally, I think I'm ready to go right now. I already went through my freak out time a while back and talked with my surgeon more (poor guy; he has spent a lot of time with our back and forth emails and phone calls!) and visited the new hospital and talked with people there. This settled most of those new fears caused by changes in the pain management protocol and the new hospital. I wasn't expecting so many changes--afterall, I just had my first hip done end of January; less than 5 months has passed. (I talked about all this on my pre-op thread ...)

The soon-to-be-gone hip is starting to flare quite a bit, so I'm glad it is going to be out of there.

Not much longer!

Dorothy

2. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

United States United States
    Hi Dorothy,

Was able to read your posts on pre-op side and I can understand your concerns with all the new protocols. Mine were even a little different before the group moved to the new hospital and I liked the old way better but you know you are in good hands with the "king".
    My mom was in the hospital you are going to and got the most excellent care while there (it was for a heart issue) and I know two nurses that work there and one of them is in surgery so I'm hoping you get her! Her name is Stephanie. Even before othro moved there they had a good reputation for nursing and care. Now that the other hospital has changed so much it is our go-to hospital for ER needs even though a little further from home. Wishing you all the best and peace before your next new hip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Thanks Diane. I appreciate your input and experience. I probably shouldn't have worried as much as I did. I just had a horrible first hospital experience elsewhere when I had my hysterectomy done a year before the first hip. I think I have some PTSD-like symptoms left from that.

I had wonderful care after my hip in January (I think you were at this hospital too) ... I wanted to pack up a few of the nurses and bring them with me for my next hip!

But, I haven't seen or heard anything at the next hospital that truly is alarming. And, you are right ... the "King" (funny you call him that because I do too!) would not be happy if his patients weren't cared for properly, and he has assured me he will change the pain med protocol to whatever I need and he isn't going to discharge me until I am ready to go home--he said "2,3,4 nights, or even more--whatever you need". He's pretty reasonable and cares about his patients, so I guess I should have known he wouldn't be stingy with the pain meds or let them shove me out the door too soon. A lot of my "freak out" was because of that earlier PTSD stuff.

I go for my pre-op tomorrow. I might have them check out the new hip because I think I have some bursitis there. Maybe they can inject it so it will be fully functional before the next surgery ... unless they can't do it an injection anywhere that close to the next hip surgery ... have to see.

Dorothy

4. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

United States United States
    It seems so unfair that we go to all this trouble to get our shiny new hips, and then a pesky bursa comes to visit and wreak havoc. Every time I get a twinge in my new hip, I worry about that. Hope yours gets resolved quickly, Dorothy.

It's interesting that your surgeon is so amenable to giving you as much hospital time as you think you need. I was under the impression that insurance companies rule the roost these days. I remember being a bit concerned on the last hip that two nights would be a night or so too soon. But as it turned out, I did feel quite good after two nights and was happy to be back at home. It did help a lot that I got immediate home health visits from a nurse, though.

Lead the way, Dorothy. Make it look easy, and I'll happily play follow the leader. :)

Sharon

• Like Like x 1
  5. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Hi Sharon,

Insurance does have a huge impact on the length of stay, but if they are given info with good cause for the stay needing to be longer than they like, they will usually give in. A lot of it is how the information is presented to them by the doctor or the social worker/discharge planner who calls them. If the hospital and doctor don't advocate hard on your behalf, then they will balk more. I think what my surgeon was telling me was that he will advocate strongly for me--he knows I can't afford to pay for hospitalization out of pocket.

I remember that when my first hip was done, the hospital staff told me they could get approval from most insurance companies for up to 4 nights after a total hip replacement without much trouble. After that, it got tricky and there had to be something big going on for them to approve more. I just want the 3 nights I had last time and maybe a 4th if I'm still not completely independent with everything by the 3rd (and I'm getting good care at the hospital, so that I believe I'm better off there than struggling at home on my own---if it's a bad situation, I'll be like "get me out of here!").

I remember I wasn't feeling all that "with it"--not sleepy or that kind of thing, but very overwhelmed and "dependent feeling" while I was in the hospital. I really felt like I wanted some TLC. I also remember I wasn't able to get in and out of bed totally independently until about the 4th or 5th post op day--I stillneeded someone to help guide the operated leg--it hurt like heck to move it sideways and it didn't have much strength for that kind of movement, even with using a lifter strap--it was like dead weight for a few days. I don't want to have to sleep in a recliner at home, so I need to be able to get in and out of bed on my own from the minute I get home so I get good sleep. That may mean I have to stay a little longer. Mike will be there to help me a little, but I'd rather not have to help move my leg.

But who knows--this surgery and immediate post-op may go better than the last because the leg is in much better shape going into the surgery--I could barely move the leg by the time I had the surgery; it was horribly compromised and deteriorated SO quickly the last few months. This one is still pretty functional.

I went to rehab for 5 days after my last hip replacement. The insurance company didn't want to give approval for that at all; they wanted me to go directly home. Everyone advocated for me very strongly and they approved 3 days initially and then got the approval for the rest at a later date. I probably could have gone home at the end of the 3 days, but I arrived on a Saturday afternoon and didn't get any therapy until the next Monday so I played a little catch up. Although I really wasn't doing that bad when I was discharged from the hospital (after 3 nights), I wanted and I think I needed a little something to bridge me over from the hospital.

I want to go home directly from the hospital this time. I know more about what I need to do, remember a lot of the exercises, etc. As long as I can be independent with all of my mobility, I should be fine at home directly from the hospital. The rehab stay was nice for the first time around and by the time I had 3 days in the hospital and 5 days at rehab, I came home and was able to change my bedding, do a couple of loads laundry, and vacuum my first floor (using my walker, of course) the day I got home. I wouldn't recommend that, though, because I kept pushing myself and I ended up with severe fatigue a week later that took me a week to get over. I'll pace myself better this time and not do so much in each day and rest more in between tasks. I did a crazy thing last time. I remember Jo pointing it out to me before my "fatigue crash" but I thought "but I feel so good!" I had to learn the hard way ... Listen to Jo!!

Sharon, I hope your July surgery goes well too. I will be back home and have my laptop up and running. I'll be keeping close tabs on how you are doing.

Dorothy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.