Really sore and sensitive skin on my knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoria

I am 4 weeks out LTKR and am doing pretty well. I have 119 ROM and am getting around pretty well. My scar is almost completely healed. My biggest problem right now is that the skin all in the top of my knee is so sensitive that I can barely stand it. I use vitamin E oil and Mederma, but it is so sensitive that even soft long pants touching my skin or a sheet touching it just HURTS! If I barely touch my skin with my finger, it is just horrible. I'm assuming this is a nerve thing, but wondering if anyone else has had this and what they did to relieve it.

Victoria,
I had the same issue for about 6 weeks, I couldn't stand the thought of anything touching me during that time. I didn't wear long pants until about 8 weeks on, lucky for me mine was done in the summer. My pain was just to the outside of the scar and even hurt sometimes with nothing touching it, kind of a burning sting. My PT and OS both siad it was not unusual for this to happen, as you mentioned, a nerve thing.

The good news is that I have absolutely no problem with that now, 6 months out, even heavy blue jeans or thermals are not a problem. Hang in there and be patient.

JW

Everything is horrible when you're not used to it. The thing to do is acclimatise your skin to touch. It takes some gritting of your teeth and determination but it can be done.

So get some nice skin oil and with just a gentle finger, massage around the edge of where you can tolerate it. As the area gets accustomed to the touch, gradually encroach on the less accepting area little by little until it begins to give in!

I am having the same problem and I am 9 1/2 weeks out, I have to prop the sheets off my legs with two pillows at night. I have tried doing what Jo says but it hasn't helped, I think it's just something that will improve with time. But I know what you mean, by the end of the day I can not stand even fresh air touching my knees. :sigh:

Hi and welcome i am weeks out as well same thing they say rub a towel gently over the scar that will help de sensitise the scar......Im trying it ...........good luck to you.....i know its a oain i make lil tents over my knee so nothing touches it...............)

I use vitamin E oil every day all around the scar and on it, so I already do the skin oil massage. I can handle it as long as I know that other people have experienced it and it's not just me. Thanks guys! :)

I had to stop using the Vitamin E oil because as I got older, I developed a sensitivity to it. The scar area stopped being so sensitive after I stopped. I just used regular non-scented lotion on it (still do) and now its fine.

Victoria, this sensitivity is really common and it eventually works itself out. Massaging the area as suggested can help, but take heart in knowing that it won't be sensitive like that forever.

I had to stop using the Vitamin E oil because as I got older, I developed a sensitivity to it. The scar area stopped being so sensitive after I stopped. I just used regular non-scented lotion on it (still do) and now its fine.

Rose hip oil is a good alternative for massaging (pure organic Vitamin C). This did wonders for a friends mastectomy scars and as treatment for the burns.

Hi..."wanttoride" again! I just read these posts....I had the same issue, and without hesitation, my Dr. said it was a symptom of RSD. The surgeon also told me that I have nerve damage from the surgery. He told me last week that I was in the 2% of people with nerve damage and RSD after TKR. ????? With the lyrica, I don't have the "symptoms" of sensitive skin or coldness in my foot/lower leg. Should I stop the lyrica and see what happens? I feel like a guinea pig....nerve blocks, UAM's, and I've heard too much "I don't know" for a lifetime!!!!

I'm 5 weeks tomorrow and have the same problem. I hated my TED hose so much I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I now find that putting them on especially during the day when I'm wearing pants and walking around helps a lot. I'm doing the massage but so far it's still sensitive. It's so cold here that not wearing pants is unfortunately not an option. My skin isn't so much sensitive around the scar though it's a little sensitive there. It's more around the inside of the knee just to the left of the scar.

The sensitive around the scar area is normal. This can be around any scar not just knee, etc.
I am 9 months out and sometimes mine feels a little sensitive.

You just need to keep massaging it and it also helps if you will take a wash cloth I use to wet mine and do the massage with it.

It will go away and again it is very very normal.

Mine skin was also very sensitive on both knees after surgery. Aside from time and vitamin E massages, I found as the swelling subsided the sensitivity was less as well. When I overdo it and my knees swell up I the skin is more sensitive.

I think you can see from the posts that the sensitivity is very common. You are not alone - and it should lessen in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks