random logouts

Roy Gardiner

Staff member since February, 23, 2013
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had thought that the 'timeout' feature had got shorter, but it can't be that, I am now often being logged out after just a couple of minutes. Is this a known problem?

FYI only: I have never used the "keep me logged in" feature, and I have never been logged off the forum at any time I can remember since I joined.

And it's just now happened again seconds after logging on.

Roy, I am also not having a problem---what server are you using?

Dare I ask if you clear out your cookies regularly?

Otherwise, let's get @RichardRobins on the case!

Happened again this morning, much more serious, basically couldn't do anything.

Problem 'went away' as I restarted my machine (for another reason). Is this related to cookies?

Changed to using the 'stay logged in' feature, which I've never used before and never felt the need for. If there's a time limit to staying logged in, what's the point of an over-ride option? See if that makes a difference.

How would clearing cookies help? No, I never clear cookies - why should I? Genuine Q, no sarcasm (I hate the way there's no nuance to the typed word).

Believe it or not, it does often help to clear your cookies and cache completely now and then. Someone wiser than I would have to tell you why, but I do know it can help when there's a problem and it's usually one of the first things a computer geek would suggest doing.

i am actually looking into reasons behind this, seems about 1 week ago cookies become corrupted for some users, who couldn't stay logged in without clearing cookies first and then relogging in.

Ahhh...thanks, Rich!!! Appreciate the insight into the problem....

That's nice to know .... all I have to do now is understand it! :loll:

Hmmmm . . . I'm a Mac user, and I had noticed the same thing about same time frame (being logged off every couple seconds/minutes.) Just assumed I was doing something. I don't think I have "cookies?"

@Me2, everyone who goes on the internet ends up with "cookies".

When a user accesses a website with a cookie function for the first time, a cookie is sent from server to the browser and stored with the browser in the local computer. Later when that user goes back to the same website, the website will recognize the user because of the stored cookie with the user's information.

Internet cookies are small pieces of information in text format that are downloaded to your computer when you visit many Web sites. The cookie may come from the Web site itself or from the providers of the advertising banners or other graphics that make up a Web page.

Under "internet options" in your browser, there is usually an option to clear out cookies which are stored in temporary files. They need to be deleted from your system from time to time.

I'm showing I am logged in but when I try to post something I get an error that indicates I must be logged in. Confusing. Anyone else with this problem. I'm using my iPad. Have updates affected the functions?

We haven't had any other complaints of this and no updates in the recent past. Sorry this is happening to you. Are you certain that you are logging in with the Keep Me Logged In feature?

Well.....duh!!!!!! My clumsy fingers must have unchecked the stay logged in box. Thank you!!!

:heehee: You're very welcome. So glad I could help!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back