TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's called a lateral release and is often done for problem alignments. I have no idea if it would be responsible for your strange feelings. I've never heard of that but then .......... I don't know everything! :cry:

Yet another question---how much walking can folks usually do at about 8 wells post-op? I find anything more than 10 minutes brings on discomfort this week though last week I was doing 20 with no problem.Though I've been warned I'm still surprised /frustrated by this roller coaster recovery !:rolleyespink:

I walked 1.6 miles at between 8-9 weeks and was tired. But then I haven't walked that far in one go for maybe 10 years. No extra knee swelling, which I think is the key issue.

Though I've been warned I'm still surprised /frustrated by this roller coaster recovery !:rolleyespink:

Yes! Roller coaster describes this very well! :snork: I can never tell from day to day how much walking I'll be able to handle - without afterwards taking meds and/or going to bed etc. So I've been cutting down the last few days and walking 2-4 blocks total, and with sitting on a bench or two along the way.

I'm 7 weeks out today and I know I have a long way to go but trying to think positive as much as possible! (And take a nap in the afternoon every couple of days! :sleep:)

Decided to try something different today. I went for a 10 minute walk and felt fine, then drove to a shopping mall and walked/shopped for about 1and 1/2 hrs, with rests between..shopping therapy definitely helped my mood - and I did't even buy anything ! Now I'm back resting, elevating and icing --so far so good.

Glad to hear! Shopping is such a great diversion! Hope to be getting my car next week - would so love to go to a mall...there's one I know of with a lot of benches!

And good coffee ? That's become my reward for walking !

Yet another question---how much walking can folks usually do at about 8 wells post-op? I find anything more than 10 minutes brings on discomfort this week though last week I was doing 20 with no problem.Though I've been warned I'm still surprised /frustrated by this roller coaster recovery !:rolleyespink:

It is indeed a roller coaster recovery---some days and some weeks are good and not-so-good; just take it all in stride, so to speak. At eights weeks, I was back at school teaching, and, while I tried very hard, i still was on my fee A OT!

By the end of the day, I was stiff and sore, and I know, looking back, that this slowed down my recovery in a significant matter.

At eight weeks---two months---it seems like a long time for recovery, but you are not even half-way there yet!

This is my recommendations for activity progress in here Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Plus check out these articles
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs

Progression of activity
Weeks 6 and onward
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait until about week 8!

All good advice as always . Thanks.

I'm finding that being on my own (in Florida) is giving me head space to sort out what does and doesn't work..the last 2 days have been better ..long may it last.

But Josephine - now I'm at 8 weeks -I don't WANT to do housework !:snork: So all of you who can't ,yet, enjoy the break !!!

Good morning - another question .. I seem to be waking up every morning now with pain in my upper calf on the outside of my knee...so is this 'training' (Roy?) or pain ???

Hi, Randi, difficult to say from 6,000 miles away :th_heehee: but I'm pretty sure the extension stretches I use wouldn't cause muscle pain the next day.

I'd hazard a guess that walking might, especially as you may now be walking differently. My legs certainly protested!

Could well be the walking. I'm doing lots - maybe too much too soon. I'll try to slow down...

Preferably down to a crawl for a few days! :snork:

I know..but not what I want to hear. It has turned cool and has been raining in Florida so pool exercise (which is really why I decided to recupe here) is out at least for a few more days- and I'm going a bit stir crazy. It's a lovely 'cabin' to be 'feverish' in but being here alone and staying put is BORING ... lucky my daughter is coming to visit on Friday for a few days. I will take a lazy day off tomorrow - reading, needlepoint and only walking to the fridge...Thanks for the gentle admonishment.:sigh:

Hi Randi, when I was 8 weeks post op, I walked 2.33 miles. I did it because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and I did. But I paid for it also for about 2 weeks and came down with my first bout of pes anserine tendinitis! So...how far can you go at 8 weeks, probably as far as you want to go. Should you go as far as you want to go? Probably not, because your knee is always in charge. Give it time, you have the rest of your life to be active! :yes 4:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas