Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM

Having a TKR on 7-17-12. Had a TSR on left shoulder two years ago, it went very well. Not sure about my post op right now, go home or go to rehab facility for a few days.

Hi! Ram, glad to see you have set up your own thread. I'm going to give you links to articles about TKR that you need to read and re-read. Knowledge is power, and the more you know and understand about TKR, and particularly the recovery, the better and easier this whole experience will be for you.

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you with this reading assignment--the articles are not too lenghtly, but they are extremely informative.

The surgery is the easy part of the process---you go to the hospital, they put you to sleep, they give you a new knee, you wake up and its all over except for the cheering. Then the real work begins.

Unlike recovery for most surgeries where within a week or two you are mostly back to "normal", you will not be feeling anything like "normal" for 4 to 6 months. Complete recovery takes up to a year (longer for a few).

So do your reading of the above, read others' posts here in the pre-op forum and over in the post-op forum. Feel free to ask any questions you have, voice any concerns, vent if you need to and know that we are here to support and encourage you from pre-op to post-op to complete recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Hi, Ram....welcome to BoneSmart. I hope you get a chance to read all the great links Judy provided for you. As you read here on BoneSmart, be sure to post any questions or concerns you might have. We're here for you!

Welcome, RAM. Going to a rehab may depend on whether you have other health issues and if you have any help at home for the first few days. We have people who've done a few days at rehab, so I'm sure you'll get some insight from them.
Most people, if they have no other major issues, do fine going home right away.

Hi Ram!
Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions and get lots of good sound advice! Glad you are here.
Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks