Question about pillows for leg elevation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow3

Country
United States United States
I live alone but will have some help during the day. My bedroom is upstairs and l was going to have a twin bed put down here in my office. My question is: I know l need to elevate my legs, but how do l re arrange the pillows for my legs without breaking the 90 degree rule? I am contemplating renting an all electric hospital bed which may work better. I can just see me getting up in the night and the pillows falling on the floor and trying to pick them up with my reacher!! Not a pretty sight. My surgery is Monday, so l have to get with it if you guys think l should go ahead with the rental.

Thanks for all the advice so far, l have the prunes and saltines in my little bag!

Wendy in Huntington Beach

I am contemplating renting an all electric hospital bed which may work better
To be perfectly honest, I really wouldn't waste your money! You'd only need it for about 2 or 3 weeks anyway. You'll be fine in your own bed or even in a recliner.
Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.
how do l re arrange the pillows for my legs without breaking the 90 degree rule? I can just see me getting up in the night and the pillows falling on the floor and trying to pick them up with my reacher!!
It's actually not as difficult as it seems. You just need a few very easy tips.

1. the 90 degree rule is often mistaken as a need to be straight all the time! It is not. You can bend any time as long as it's not past the 90 degrees. This is 90 degrees so you can see you have quite a way to go before you get there! Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

flex to 90.jpg

2. Then there's bending to get things off the floor. Also simple if you use the 'golfer's reach'. Just make sure you hold on to something stable like a counter top or the bed when you're first doing it.

golfers reach 2-horz.jpg

3. Arranging pillows for elevation You can see several options in this article Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

But the best one is this

pillow stack.jpg

Hope this helps!

THanks so much @Josephine. That puts my mind at rest, l was overthinking the 90degree thing and appreciate the illustrations. I do have a power recliner that l may use as well. Now onward to Monday to get this behind me.
Wendy

@Shadow3 Sounds like you're totally ready for your recovery adventure! You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you'll begin to feel so much better than you do now. Practice that golfer's reach before your surgery.... It's a lifesaver! Amazing how much you can pick up without breaking your 90 degree rule with this reach.

If you think of any other questions, just ask! We're here for you :)

I've been doing the golf bending for a long time, didn't know it had a name. Does work well. I still need pillows, body pillow, standard size maybe the smaller travel pillows.

Thanks @Jillie422, l am working on the golfers reach, it is indeed amazing how much you can pick up that way. I will be sure to hold on to something steady. Got my bed downstairs, and tried picking up,the pillows from the floor doing that reach worked like a charm.

@julesglass , l do have a bunch of different pillows that l will experiment with. Had not thought of a small travel pillow, l,think that would work in several areas especially under my head for the three weeks of back sleeping which l am not looking forward to. Interestingly l had friends come over to help with the bed, and they loaned me something for my queen bed called mattress genie. It goes under the mattress at the top, and has a motor that raises or lowers the head of the mattress as much as you want. Too bad it won't work on my twin bed downstairs. But now l am motivated to get upstairs as soon as l am allowed to.

Thanks again for all the good ideas.

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013