BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Question about new pain manage technique

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by JoyWest, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyWest

JoyWest Member

My doctor was telling me that I was going to be pleasantly surprised when I have my RTKR. He said that just in the 18 months or so between the LTKR and this one that there is a new way he uses to manage pain. There is less swelling, way less pain...and that most of his patients go home in one or two days! I was flabergasted just listening to him...missed some of the important info! It was something about inserting pain meds in the incision site, something about slowing blood flow to prevent a lot of swelling...is this familiar to anyone, or did I dream it???:scratch:
    Joy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    It's a rather new thing for us too! Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library. Everything we read says this can be a very effective way to manage pain. You must let us know how you do with it!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cynthia07

Cynthia07 Member

Cool! To be honest with you, my situation did not warrant pain, rather swelling, stiffness and lifestyle adjustment. Please keep us posted on the new developments!

4. newnee

newnee Graduate

Sounds interseting you will have to keep us posted on this procedure

5. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

I want to know more, had I known about this prior to my surgery I would have waited and tried this "new" surgery out for myself! I can't wait to hear more, please continue to post after your surgery. Thanks.

6. Randi

Randi Graduate

Jamie, I don't think the article you link to is about this new procedure (?)

My sister had a LTKR last week and was told the same thing as Joy. I'm not sure what they did but so far she has far less pain than I had at that early stage and she's moving very well..something new we need to find out about !

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

I wanna know more for future reference! It sounds loverly not to have to beg the docs to provide pain meds :rolleyespink:

8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I do think it's the same procedure. There is a good explanation in one of Jo's links that is similar to what Joy describes in her post.

If you don't agree, tell me what you think this procedure involves. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoyWest

JoyWest Member

I am glad that I am not the only one that has heard of this...was a bit concerned that I was imagining things! (Wishful thinking maybe???) I will try to keep my head far enough above the pain med fog to do a good report for you all! :th_heehee:
    Right now I am feeling awesome and am loving my new knee (LTKR 8/10)! We are getting ready for our 3rd trip to Walt Disney World since January, and I can walk it, pushing my daughters wheelchair with no problems (with my new knee) at all. My knee that is waiting to get fixed does give me a fit though!
    Life is good!!
    Joy

10. Randi

Randi Graduate

Jamie - I'm not trying to be difficult, honestly. My hubby is a doc, he heard what my sister said and doesn't think it's the same..I dunno. We looked in the new medical literature and didn't see anything else, so maybe it is what you think. Whatever, I hope this 'new' modality helps JoyWest and many others !

11. kneesrus

kneesrus Sr Bonesmartie

Long-acting morphine following hip or knee replacement: A randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled trial
    Pain Research and Management, 03/30/2012 Clinical Article

Musclow SL et al. – Thirty milligrams twice per day of long–acting morphine from days 1 to 3 following total hip and total knee replacement surgery provided minimal improvements in pain scores, and more adverse effects in the treatment group. The overall strength of evidence for improved outcomes is minimal and thus not supported.

Read more: http://www.mdlinx.com/pain-management/news-article.cfm/3996953/pain#ixzz1qqduw8gF
    Just surfing so articles for everyone
    David

• Like Like x 1
  12. kneesrus

kneesrus Sr Bonesmartie

J Knee Surg. 2011 Sep;24(3):197-202.
    Percutaneous neuromodulation pain therapy following knee replacement.

Wanich T, Gelber J, Rodeo S, Windsor R.
    Source

Department of Orthopaedics, Montefiore Medical Center, 1250 Waters Place, 11th Floor, Bronx, NY 10461, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

A new device (Deepwave) utilizing percutaneous neuromodulation technology has been developed with preliminary studies demonstrating superior pain inhibition compared with transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. We hypothesize that the use of Deepwave is efficacious in reducing the severity of acute pain and opioid use in patients following total knee replacement (TKR) surgery. We conducted a randomized controlled trial on 23 patients who underwent primary TKR. The patients were categorized into two groups--experimental or control group. Following TKR, patients underwent either Deepwave or sham treatments. A Brief Pain Inventory questionnaire and the amount of all pain medications taken were recorded. There was a significant reduction in patient's subjective rating of pain and Visual Analog Scale score in the experimental group (p < 0.05), with a trend toward decreased opioid use but this was not significant (p = 0.09) The Deepwave device is effective in reducing the subjective measures of pain with a trend toward decreased opioid use in patients following TKR.

13. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

It's okay, Randi. No matter what, it will be interesting to see what happens with Joy! I'm glad she has agreed to report back to us.

14. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Hum. Back in 2009, when I asked my OS about pain after surgery, and not knowing ANYTHING about knees, he said he delivers a cocktail to the surgical area. :what:

They pulled the pain IV's the next morning and switched to oral. But I stayed the regular length of time plus. I was in no hurry to get home at all. I have my medical records but they are so lengthy don't know if I would know what to look for.

15. sheryl7

sheryl7 Graduate

sounds like it might be prominsing, please kep us posted Joy, we would love to know if there i any significant different.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.