BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Prior surgeries compared to TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Nanners, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanners

Nanners Post-Grad

I have had multiple surgeries in my life because of my Crohns Disease. Most have been abdominal and one was a scope on the knee I will be having replaced. My abdominal surgeries were very painful for the first 14 days for me, but you saw lots of progress as the first weeks passed.

Is there anyone else who have had lots of surgeries prior to their TKR's and maybe could share how different the pain was between those surgeries and a TKR?

Trying to get a feel of what to expect. Thanks!

2. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

I have never had abdominal surgery, just been with my daughter through three c sections. The knee will be painful for a longer time, which is why it's so important to get a handle on pain management. With proper pain management, it's tolerable after the first week or two. First week is tough. In addition to the soft tissue injury of abdominal surgery, there are a lot of mechanics.

3. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

United States United States
    There is "achiness" with TKR that stays with you for a long time. It isn't there all the time, but some time during the day or night---there it is---sort of like the proverbial bad penny, it just keeps showing up. If you sit for a long period of time, if you keep you legs crossed too long, if you stand for too long, if you walk too far, or if you do too much. I am 9 months post op and still experience the "achiness". If I just sit with legs elevated or go to bed, it subsides and all is well.

4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

The knee is a very complex joint. And a TKR requires a lot of trauma to both bone and soft tissue. So, you can expect that recovery from a TKR will not be comparable with abdominal surgery or a knee scope. These folks are correct that proper pain management from Day One is the key to a comfortable recovery. Even with that......you can expect to measure your recovery in terms of months....not weeks. That said, you are by no means an invalid during recovery. You have mobility and can do things for yourself.

5. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

I had a abdominal hysterectomy and the one thing I remember from that is that when I went to drink some water it felt like there was an internal string from my tongue to my belly and the pain was unbelievable! I could not laugh or make any sudden moves. That being said, that terrible pain did not last that long and the healing was fairly quick.
    With TKR, however the pain/discomfort is a lot more long term. Like others said, staying on top of your pain management is key to your progress. I had a very high threshhold for pain therefore what I experienced after TKR was more discomfort than pain. I still clearly remember the pain prior to my TKR, so what I feel now is mild discomfort that will last for quite sometime.

We are all different in how we recover and deal with pain, so what I experience can be way different than anyone else. That is why this forum was a blessing for me, because I was able to read other people's stories pre-op and post-op to get a feel of what I was facing with getting new knees. It's like reading a sliding scale, I could be like this one, or I could be like that one OR I could be totally different and experience TKR my own unique way.:friends:

6. Nanners

Nanners Post-Grad

Thank you all! You have definetly giving me an idea. Luckily my OS has already stated I will be on more than one pain med, so I think it will just be a matter of finding the right two. Thanks again, you really helped:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.