Pre-op questions for anyone one that knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceyJG1

Country
United States United States
@Josephine , I just read one of your posts so I believe you are the one to ask these questions. At my initial visit with the surgeon, he was much more informative. I really felt rushed through the pre-op appt. I called his triage nurse afterwards to try to get answers, and she was a little more helpful, but naturally, I still have questions. I like to be prepared for all situations.

1) At my pre-op appt with my surgeon, I asked him if I was going to have the anterior approach, and I was told that I was not a candidate for the approach, probably because of my weight. I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 239. So I asked if he was doing the posterior where he would have to cut through muscle, which would be a more difficult recovery. He stated that I was having a "superior" approach and something about posterior. I thought when he said superior he meant it was a more desirable, successful approach. I just saw a post in which you referred to a superior location. My question is what does that mean? Will it be as difficult as the general posterior?

2) My surgeon also told me that he would be able to give me my height back, since I used to be 5'11" before the OA started in my 20's. How exactly does this work? And will it make the recovery more difficult? How do they make sure the legs are the same length? Right now, I feel that one leg is a bit shorter, just because of the joints deteriorating at different rates. I read one patient liken it to having braces and getting the adjustments! I know there will be pain, but how bad will it be? I'm not opposed to pain meds, but I don't really like them, either. I had my Achille's Tendon operated on last year and they gave my Oxy. I hate the way it made me feel! The pain was gone, but I was so dopey, I felt like I wasn't present to appreciate the pain-free moments. I can live with that.

3) Am I correct to assume I will have the 90 degree restrictions? That scares me more than anything. We have a raised platform bed. I don't know how I will be able to get into it! Right now I have a step that I use to crawl up onto it, but obviously, I won't be able to do that after the surgery. My husband is going to raise the coach up in the living room so I don't violate the 90 degrees. We're also raising my recliner so I can sit there temporarily.

I have read all of the articles you shared with me. I greatly appreciate them! Very informative.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help you can give me. I'm sure I'll have more questions!!

He stated that I was having a "superior" approach and something about posterior.
Here's a link to technical article on BoneSmart that describes the various approaches including "superior". You will see it's a version of posterior approach. As Ms Muffet has already said, recovery is not dependent on approach. But do remember literally every THR is different - even on the same person.
My surgeon also told me that he would be able to give me my height back, since I used to be 5'11" before the OA started in my 20's. How exactly does this work? And will it make the recovery more difficult? How do they make sure the legs are the same length?
I had a leg length difference (LLD) post my LTHR. My surgeon evened things up during my RTHR. They will use your x-rays to judge your LLD. I had a bit of stiffness and general muscle pain on the side they lengthened. But nothing pain meds could not manage.
I'm not opposed to pain meds, but I don't really like them, either.
None of us "like" pain meds. But they are a vital part of this recovery. You will need to work with your surgical team to find the meds that are right for you. I can't take Oxy either. I left the hospital (post both THRs) on an anti-inflammatory and Tylenol only. There is not an option to go without pain management post THR. You need your meds to get mobile.
Am I correct to assume I will have the 90 degree restrictions?
Only you surgeon can answer this question. But more and more we are seeing no restrictions post THR. If you do have restrictions they are very easy to follow. In many cases your new hips will just not want to move past a particular point for awhile.
Right now I have a step that I use to crawl up onto it
Well, you will be able to use the step - but yes, you won't be able to crawl for a bit. Many new hippies sleep in their recliners for the first few weeks post op. I suggest you as the physio or occupational health department at your pre-op about what modifications you should make to furniture. Raising furniture isn't always necessary. Using a firm cushion on the couch or on your recliner (if it's too low) works just fine.

Thank you for the quick reply! I had RNY Gastric Bypass a couple of years ago, so I haven't been able to take any Nsaids or anti-inflammatory medications which is why my pain is back. This should be fun!! :loll:

so I haven't been able to take any Nsaids or anti-inflammatory medications which is why my pain is back.
Plenty of other alternatives. The point is you don't have to take something that makes you a zombie. Your first priority post op is to find that pain management cocktail that fits for you.

He stated that I was having a "superior" approach and something about posterior. I thought when he said superior he meant it was a more desirable, successful approach. I just saw a post in which you referred to a superior location. My question is what does that mean? Will it be as difficult as the general posterior?
The link Jaycey gave you is to a page on our website but it's actually referring to a procedure known as the SUPERpath which I doubt your surgeon will be using else he would already have told you. None of the alternatives of THR are 'difficult' either in surgery or in recovery.
You can see my article regarding different approaches here THR approaches or incisions
My surgeon also told me that he would be able to give me my height back, since I used to be 5'11" before the OA started in my 20's. How exactly does this work? And will it make the recovery more difficult? How do they make sure the legs are the same length?
Implants come in a variety of sizes and lengths, that's how. Plus he can adjust it by not cutting the bone so low and by setting the implant in the bone higher. All of these well be in mm but collectively can add to the leg length. During surgery, they also lay both legs together and check the length by observing the alignment of the medial malleolii or ankle bones. They can do this through the drapes very easily. He will also check this with the trial implants in situ so he can make further adjustments if necessary.
Am I correct to assume I will have the 90 degree restrictions? That scares me more than anything.
Not at all! There are far more hip surgeons who don't require restrictions than do. And very few in the UK.

Funny story: A few years back, my sister had her hip done and I went to look after her for a couple of weeks. I worked hard to teach her how to cope with the restrictions, how to get into and out of the bath for a shower, for instance. And she did very well. At 6 weeks she was seen by the surgeon and asked him when she could stop observing the restrictions. He looked at her quizzically and wanted to know who had told her she need to observe them. She had to admit she (and I) had just assumed it. To which he rather tartly replied "Well, more fool you then! In all my life I have never imposed those ridiculous requirements on my patients and I've had very, very few dislocations!"
I haven't been able to take any Nsaids or anti-inflammatory medications
I would consider that a plus. Gram for gram NSAIDs actually have about 40% of the pain killing power of simple Tylenol and yet they have far more serious side effects Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers

Wow! Thank you so much for the answers! You're like a walking encyclopedia!!! :heehee:

Thank you - but there is a name for it - it's called experience! :heehee:

Hi @StaceyJG1!

I just wanted to stop in and wish you well on your Tuesday THR. These last couple of days can be quite overwhelming emotionally! I've just had my second THR done a little over 10 days ago and in both instances, the day of surgery wasn't too bad, as I kind of went into a zombie mode (I was working on auto-pilot). You are almost done with the worst part of this journey (the pre-op wait), so hang in there. Sending you prayers and well wishes. :loveshwr:

@Cynthia777, thank you so much! I have been racing around in my head, trying to get prepared. My daughter came down with a bug, and I was so afraid that I was going to get it. I have secluded myself from everyone so I can't get exposed. So far so good! I'm not so much scared now as anxious. I just want it over with! LOL

I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

All the best tomorrow @StaceyJG1 ! See you on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker