BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Post op depression

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Marina blue, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marina blue

Marina blue Member

Hi all,
    I had my tkr Aug 23, 2012. In the last couple of days, I have been very depressed and can't shake it. I am weaning myself off of endocet and now taking 2 a day. Could this be causing me to feel like I do, or could it be post-op and weening? I feel like I am going crazy with this feeling inside, no matter what I do. Please help!!

2. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Marina blue, I've moved your post as it was in the "How To" forum and nobody would see it here. It's now in the Knee Recovery Forum.

Post-op depression is extremely common, even without weaning of pain meds. For the record, why are you weaning off them when you are only 8 weeks out? Seems a bit early to me. I suggest you start using them as prescribed again until your pain is beginning to subside.

However, regarding the depression, read this article for information Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.

Another thing to help is to read these articles as they might give you some information about recovery in general
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Progression of activity for TKRs

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

3. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Marina, so sorry to hear of this. It's kind of like postpartum depression, I think. Knee goes bad, doctor fixes knee, all is perfect again -- or not? It's a long time before the knee heals to the point where expectations are met. This is a big big surgery and that with all the drugs and the life changes is quite an ordeal for most of us. Plus now we're heading into the dark time of year. As Josephine cautioned, go easy letting go of the pain medication. You might try a half pill to see if that manages your pain, and then dose a little more frequently, e.g. every 6-8 hours. Keep in touch with us and we'll help you through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debbie_joints

Debbie_joints Post-Grad

United States United States
    I am right with you on the depression today. All day I have been blue, even cried for no real reason. It is beautiful outside and I did go out and cleaned up my vegetable garden, didn't hurt, and felt good to be out, but there is just something that comes over us I think and I keep telling myself it is normal. My trouble is having my husband just getting over spine surgery is hard too as he is not giving me the attention I need. I told him a hug would be nice once in awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jebsw

Jebsw Graduate

Hi Marina,
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of us go through a period of depression. This is in no way meant to diminish what you're feeling, just to let you know you're not alone in this. Misery loves company and all that. My second TKR was less than a week before your surgery, and boy oh boy do I ever struggle with the blues! Usually it's only for part of the day but sometimes longer. Often, it's just like in the post Josephine gave you the link to: I just suddenly burst into tears. There's a commercial now for Tim Horton's coffee (Canadians will know this ad for our beloved Timmy's) where a fellow has been in an accident and is in a cast and on crutches. His recovery is spurred on by his friends tempting him with coffee. But what makes me cry every single time is that the sign that he's all better is when he throws away his cane and walks to his buddies. I just identify so much with wanting to get to that point. Would this normally make me cry? Nah. My point is, you're not alone, we know what it's like, and we're here for you. :console2:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Marina,
    I, too, experienced post op depression, and it still lingers. I have labeled it my FUNK. I know that I'm not clinically depressed, but boy oh boy this funk is sometimes hard to shake. I cry, and that's not really me. I even said to someone today that I haven't cried in about 2 weeks and BAM my voice cracked when I was talking to my mom and daughter on the phone tonight, and when I was chatting with my husband at dinner. I can't blame it on the pain medication because i haven't had any for a while. It's not pain, because I don't have any. I'm not sad, either. In fact i am very , very blessed. I have no reason to be weepy. I have no idea how long this funk lasts.
    I wanted you to know that you are alone. Many of us experience it and have even consoled each other off of the forum.
    Please know how much we care!

• Like Like x 2
  7. kstormyd

kstormyd New Member

Wow? This is week two of me crying for no reason and just being in a funk. I cried at PT today.

8. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I had a BTKR nearly five years ago---this coming November 8th will be my five-year anniversary! I also understand completely how you feel, as I also suffered from some very down feelings during my recovery. Some have to do with the pain meds that you have been taking; some have to do with your lack of mobility and, at times, lack of independence; some are caused by your lack of energy and your body's natural methods to heal. Whatever the cause, what you are going through is absolutely normal.

I woulod go somethimes and simply stand by my front living room window and just watch the world go by---i felt rather depressed and somewhat of an outcast, as I couldn't do anythng or go anywhere.

It wasn't until I got off of the pain meds and began to become a little more independent that i began to feel much, much better---I was finally able to drive and to go on short jaunts around town---and my mood improved dramatically.

I am sure that, with time and healing, that your mood will improve and that you will feel much better psychologically!

• Like Like x 2
  9. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I remember this like it was yesterday---my wife took the day off and we went to see some people up at the high school where i teach---and I was very excited just to get out. We then made a quick stop at a store to buy a large snowblower---and that was it---I was beat! I was tired and dozed off in the car---but just getting outside and being part of the "normalcy" let me feel so much better.

Recovery and PT are hard work---and, combined with the pain meds, are very, very taxing both physically and emotionally. I do not believe many folks know how hard and challenging this can be---but with time and healing come better feelings, too.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

I cried at PT the other day. A man who was at least 80 was doing exercises after a knee replacement just a few weeks before. I cried, not because I was happy for him but because I was sad for me. I was so jealous.

I also cry easily..just want to get better. I even cried at the OS office the other day. I just describe myself as being very fragile.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dulcimer Diva

Dulcimer Diva Sr Bonesmartie

I have been so busy lately (first the river cruise, then the music conference in St. Louis, then the Real Estate Closing From Hell tomorrow) in no small part to try and fend off the depression that's hanging around the edges waiting to pounce. I'll be relieved when the closing is over, but afraid to let my guard down and rest too fully lest the blues take over. You're not alone!

• Like Like x 2
  12. ladybelle

ladybelle New Member

hi Marina,
    I know what you're saying about the depression and crying. I've been there myself lately. It is tough but think about what you've been through both physically and mentally. You know sometimes a good cry is good for you. It helps to relieve the pent up frustration, anxiety and sometimes just plain anger at your situation. Nothing wrong at all with crying, it's an expression of emotion just like smiling.

Hang in there and think about the progress you've made. It will get better.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Merry,
    Sending you a hug.
    Diva,
    Good luck with the closing. My mom is a real estate agent that sells million $ plus homes and from her stories they truly closings from hell. Wishing you the best.
    Kstormyd,
    You are in good company. We seem to be a gaggle of weepers.
    Debbie,
    You have so much on your plate right now. Bless your heart, my friend! I hope your husband has a beter day.
    Mary,
    BINGO! It is like a postpartum depression, in the way it is provoked by our surgery.
    Jebsw,
    I understand exactly what you are saying. My voice cracked when i told my PT that I didn't go through this horrible recovery not to get my knee to bend, stretch, and feel normal.
    Ladybelle,
    Just a smile upside down? Feel better!
    GROUP HUG!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gran17

Gran17 Member

Ditto towhat Nyland just said!!!!! Im depressed to but we will make it. We have to
    Believe that?..hugs to all of us!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Well, I like Merry cry very easily. As a kid, I would cry at the drop of a hat, but when I got older I had more control over it! And then BTKR happened and the dang flood gates opened up again and still do occasionally, as a matter of fact reading all your inputs made me cry, maybe because I feel all your anguish as well as mine. I see it as, a good cry cleanses the soul!:cry:

Hang there Marina blue, we're in this together!:console2:

Welcome to the BoneSmartie family, where the people care about each other! Stay well and stay positive, this too shall pass! ((((hugs))))

• Like Like x 4
  16. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

Yes, this horrible feeling of being down is certainly meant to try most of us. I can't wait to feel even half human again and am going stir crazy stuck at home. Don't think I could face a car journey to go anywhere. But we will get through it together :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hang in there...it DOES get better x
    My poor husband put up with such a lot!

18. ElanorG

ElanorG Post-Grad

Marina,

I cry almost every day. Every time I resume a "normal" well-loved activity I cry. Today, for the first time since my surgery I went to the farmer's market and shopped and carried the bag of apples and veggies back to the car myself. I got in the car and promptly started to cry. It is hard to lose the ability to do all the little things in our lives and each one that returns makes me cry. I think I partly cry for joy, but also for fear that not everything will return and also depression for how long it all takes. A big hug to you. We are here for you.

19. Debbie_joints

Debbie_joints Post-Grad

Elanor, I understand you crying when you do something you haven't done in awhile, but is it hurting to do those things yet?

20. ElanorG

ElanorG Post-Grad

Debbie, did you mean was I in pain with walking in the farmer's market? If so, no more pain than any walking is for me. Walking is still hard and has some pain and/or discomfort, although I have discovered that the pool work is helping the walking a great deal. But all the other little things that caused me to cry: driving, going to Starbuck's for coffee, biking, sewing at the machine, etc. may have had some small pain initially but the return to "normalcy" was well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.