BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Peta, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    It is called a ProStretch. You can get them online or at running stores. You stretch your Achilles and your plantar fascia. IT gives you a tremendous stretch. I believe that you can get them at Amazon.com

Tim C.

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Thanks, Tim! I've found them online. I may be getting one if things don't improve.

3. Peta

Peta Supremo

Me too Jamie! Thanks so much Tim - I'll talk to my physio about them when I see him again on Monday. :)

4. AmyinIndiana

AmyinIndiana Junior Member

I don' t have heal pain, but I noticed someone mentioned their toes curling up. Is that Plantar fasciitis. Mine do that all the time.

5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

What do you mean....toes curling up?

6. referee54

referee54 Moderator

No---Plantar Fasciitis will be very painful in the morning when you get out of bed--during the night, your toes and feet tend to curl somewhat and the Fascia tends to tighten up. Those first couple steps can be very, very painful.

TSC

7. Suehip

Suehip Junior Member

Haven't had THR yet, but I had plantar fasciitis several years ago and never thought it might be related to my hip problems. I just know my heel hurt. My foot doctor told me to keep a pair of shoes next to the bed and to never walk barefooted. Now I find I still cannot walk barefooted or the pain starts again. I did buy a slip on ankle support that went around the instep and that really helped, too.

8. AmyinIndiana

When your toes cramp very hard and actually turns them down.

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Oh, now I know what you mean. It's not the same thing. You might try drinking a small glass of Tonic Water before bedtime. Sometimes the quinine in it can help with leg cramps.

10. AmyinIndiana

Thanks! That sounds simple, and certainly worth a try.

11. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Peta, I went shopping today and purchased a new pair of tennis shoes. It was amazing....my heel pain lessened IMMEDIATELY when I tried on all of the new shoes. That tells me it's true that my old ones were shot. So I think the new shoes will be a big help.

12. Peta

Peta Supremo

I've also bought new shoes Jamie - I figured I didn't REALLY need any more of an excuse to go shoe shopping....................! :hehe:
    I've been wearing mainly Sketchers since I started having problems with my hips - so it was time to get some new ones! I find them THE most comfortable shoes to wear when I'm on my feet all day! I've splashed out and bought a fairly plain black pair for everyday use, and an absolutely beautiful silver (with sparkles) pair for when I want to feel a bit "special"! My daughter calls them my "fairy" shoes! lol

So yes - I think I'm doing everything I possibly can to make this heel problem go away! :pray:

13. Songlady

Songlady Graduate

Wow, really, Sketchers? I have never tried them!
    I bought OTC orthotics to go into my old sneakers (Nike "walking shoe" model) and I am finding some improvement, but my feet still hurt some by the end of the day.
    I figured I needed to buy the inserts because... lol, I still can't tie my right shoe yet! So, as soon as I can, to the shoe store I go!
    I am so grateful for this discussion, to know it's not just me!

14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Songlady....my new shoes that I bought yesterday are Nike walking shoes. They have really made the difference. I'm still using my store-bought orthotics that have a heel cup and arch support. I was outside planting this afternoon and wore them out to dinner (fashion statement, I know!)....it was a very casual restaurant! Nothing is hurting tonight. Amazing.

I know once the inflammation gets going, it takes weeks to stop, so I'm prepared for a slow recovery. But it is good to seem some improvement. I was beginning to feel like a little old lady again with all my limping.

15. referee54

referee54 Moderator

One thing that you can try that I found to help is to fill a used plastic water bottle nearly full of water---do not put too much water in, as you freeze it. Then, you put the bottle on the floor and roll your arch over it or merely set the arch of the foot down on it---right on the heel spur area.

Tim C.

16. Peta

Peta Supremo

That's EXACTLY what my physio has told me to do - thanks Tim! :thmb:

I saw him again yesterday and he has strapped my left heel and foot (very tightly) and it's amazing the difference it has made to the heel pain! I actually got out of bed this morning and could walk (almost) normally. I'm to leave it on for the next five days and then remove it Friday night - try and stay off it over the weekend and then I see him again on Monday. So fingers crossed this will work!

At the very least it has relieved a lot of the pain so I can get on with enjoying my new hips! :jump:

17. ezrida

ezrida New Member

Hi<o>:p</o>
    I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. [FONT=&quot]I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. There are many treatment techniques that you can try. [/FONT]There are Taping techniques that I find very useful. There are exercises you can do at home, shoe recommendations and a few more self-care techniques that I got from this informative website: <o></o>
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated[/FONT]<o></o>
    [FONT=&quot]Take care & Good luck<o>:p</o>[/FONT]

18. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, Ezrida....welcome to BoneSmart. Are you having knee or hip problems? Why don't you start your own thread in one of the forums (wherever it is appropriate) and tell us a bit about yourself.

19. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Well, the verdict from the foot orthopedist I see.....get back into your brace!! UGH!!! I have to wear my dumb leg brace for 2-3 months day and night. I kind of expected that diagnosis, but I still hate it.

I let the pain go too long. I should have dealt with it right away. The good news is that I only have to wear my braces on one leg. And I get new orthotics made. I needed those on my unoperated leg. And I was given a new, more comfortable night splint to sleep in.

Sigh....just when you think you're doing well......some other part goes bonkers!

20. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh no Jamie! You poor thing. I went through that brace thing years ago before I had my custom orthotics made.

Oh well, the good news is at least you should see some improvement Hang in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.