BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] pinching pain in back of knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by buyin time, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buyin time

buyin time New Member

I am five weeks post tkr. My flexion is 130 but extension is -2. I have done remarkably well and was ambulating with no cane at two weeks. I just cannot straighten my knee and experiencing a painful pinching with audible popping on the back outside of knee especially after extension exercises. I just finished 4wks of pt. Any ideas? I see doctor in four days and will tell him then.

2. MarkZ

MarkZ Junior Member

Good evening buyin time,

At about 5 week I had very similar events as you have described: loose joint, clicking sounds in the knee, stabbing (pinching) pain that was random with my activity. I was having home PT at the time. The therapist thought it could be soft tissue pinching in the new joint from the swelling (I had alot of swelling at 5 weeks still). It ended up going away over time....actually before I could even ask the OS about it. As the swelling went down and my tendons and such tightened up the noise in the joint went away as well.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hello Buyin Time! Welcome to Bonesmart...glad you found us here and decided to ask a question. Your ROM is great, it took me forever to get there. On the other hand my extension was always perfect, no problems there. I was wondering if your problem could be tight hamstrings. When everything is tight it is hard to bend or straighten. Just a thought, that maybe some really good stretching of the hamstrings. Sometimes when I use my knee too much, I get a pain behind my knee, and my PT tells me it is the hamstring. When I was running my 1/2 marathon on Sunday (5 days ago), at one point around 7 miles I just had to walk for a minute or two because my hamstring on my TKR leg was bothering me, behind the knee. Once I walked it out it was ok. I hope that your problem is as simple as this! Take care and good luck! :doggieshmooze:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Buyin Time....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm going to tag our forum nurse, Josephine, so that she can comment on your concerns. @Josephine:

You have done amazingly well with recovery so far. My guess is that you just need to give yourself some more time and this will pass. When you have this pain, I suggest that you be sure to ice the area and spend some time with it elevated. If it's some slight swelling inside (you may not even be able to see it), that will help.

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nothing to add - your progress is excellent and you just need to slow down and baby that knee for a while!

I like to know the following:
    1. how much activity are you engaged in on a daily basis? This includes not only PT and exercises but housework, shopping, cooking, caring for pets (human and animal!)
    2. what pain meds are you taking, how much and how often
    3. how much you rest, elevate and ice your knee

With this information, I can maybe advise you better.

6. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes that's pretty good!
    Extension exercises? Should be (fairly) gentle stretching of calves & hamstrings, which work well for me with similar problems.

Also as you walk take loooooong strides and you will feel your leg (try to) straighten with a good stretch there at the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.