Panic stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulafoto

supremo
Country
Australia Australia
OK. I am officially panicking. I have my first appointment with the OS tomorrow and basically my life is in his hands - as I am going public here in Australia I have to be assessed to see how urgent my case is and he will decide - talk about God powers:yikes:
I have so many things going through my mind - the fact I am using crutches to walk, which I need - will he see it as a ploy to move up the list? :shrug:
Sorry all but I needed to vent and you're all so wonderful here :angel:
My wonderful wife is going to accompany me so that will be comforting as well as remembering so many things that I will no doubt forget and yes - I have made a list but still ...
Cheers, Bill

Hi bill, john here in michigan,you will be fine. I go Friday and can't wait. I was unsure until I studied up on what was to come. I feel the thr will make me whole again and I'm sure it will be the same for you. The doctor will give it to you straight , make your appointment as soon as possible , I'm glad I'm not putting it off ,

I'll be fine , this is your post. It's 4am here and about 5 degrees here. I always wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef .are you near that .

I hope your appointment goes well! If you need crutches to walk, he won't see that as a ploy. I bet your x-rays will back that up. No doubt whatsoever that this is a painful, life-altering condition. I hope that you're able to get this resolved quickly, but if not, would your OS prescribe anything in the interim? Good luck! I felt so validated after my appointment-- someone finally understood!

Take care-- I hope your experience is a good one :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

fulafoto although I did not need the Dr to play God, I was still concerned he would not think they were bad enough, so it was a relief when he was so open. Will send up prayers for a good outcome with him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good luck Bill and Johnny. Now I am worried about 'how bad' the doc will consider me. I do not need
crutches, but I walk with a limp because it does hurt. Its hard to stand up and sit down onto low furniture, basically I cannot go there only using chairs with higher arms. Have to avoid any low toilet anywhere. Have to do stairs sideways or just avoid going where there are stairs. My appt is Friday the 13th.
Claire

My regular doctor (GP) told me that I was someone he would NOT necessarily recommend a THR for.
This is, I think, because I walk without assistance, climb stairs, and even went on a 30+ mile hike four months ago.
I did that in pain the whole time and it was immediately after my last (second and last) steroid injection in my hips.
I think that if I were EXACTLY the same now as I was in August, I might question my decision too.
BUT...I'm worse. And when I saw the OS, he said: "I can't tell you what to do, that's up to you. You are definitely a candidate, however, because you're bone-on-bone.".
The whole "quality of life" thing is always the big question. I hope your doctor uses this question as the basis for his decision. You deserve your quality of life back.
Glad you have the support of your wife. I do too and I can't imagine these decisions without her.
Happy thoughts coming your way!

I don't think the doctor will see use of crutches as a ploy -- they see people in various stages of pain and immobility every day. I think most of them mostly evaluate from the X-rays, as well as your reported pain level.

Here in New Mexico where I live, you pretty much "get in line" for the surgery, except in cases of a real emergency (they tell me those are quite rare). My doc took one look at my x-rays and said the medical equivalent of "Holy @#$%%!" I went in on two canes because that was the only way I could get around at all, and my pain was so bad I could not get on his table. Still, I just got the next available slot, which was about 3 months out. The waiting was a a very grim time, but I can't complain -- I should have gone in sooner instead of waiting until I was a basket case. He did a great job on both hips (one was seriously deteriorated in the hip socket as well as the femoral head so required some rebuilding) and I'm well on the road to recovery now. It was worth the wait and I am slowly getting my life back.

You'll be so glad you had it done!

Peace and love to you.

Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts and messages.
MajorHeidi Hi Claire - I too have become very aware of low furniture and toilet seats are one of the worst. If out I now head for a disabled toilet they are usually higher and have rails to assist in the 'landing' :) Hope it goes well for you on Friday :SUNsmile:
DrToonz The quality of life thing is the major factor as far as I can see and hope he agrees :yes:
Butterfly I hope I will be in the same boat - getting the next available slot and have a mind set of best case scenario of 6-12 months here but we will wait and see :sigh:

Cheers, Bill

Good luck Bill with the OS appointment - can't wait to hear the result :)

If you have time, print off this form and complete it. It will tell him a lot about your quality of life which is the key.

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v4.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 244
Well I had my appointment ... and to be quite honest I am a bit nonplussed :shrug: Firstly I saw an orthopedic assistant who said he would interview me and examine me for the orthopedic registrar who would then come and talk to me. This went well with the assistant explaining the various treatment options ending with they are all to late for me and I need a THR :doh:.
The orthopedic registrar came in, read the notes, looked at the x-rays and agreed with the assistant. Both stating I was a category 2 (meaning the operation should be between 30 and 90 days), however neither could give me an indication as to when the operation was to take place as it was one of another two OS who will actually be doing the op. :hairpulling: I had a CT Scan as the registrar is concerned with the cysts, stating that they can be fibrous and the position and size of them means I may need a bone graft to replace some of the pelvic area.
I went from there to the pre-op section and the nurse who interviewed me (who was a real character - loved her attitude) said I was a category 3 (meaning op in less than 12 months) so she is going to sort that out and confirm exactly what I am.
She showed a lot of concern that I have psoriasis which is prominent on both my elbows and - two other areas - the left knee (over the kneecap) and along my old scar from my SCFE operations! Her suggestion was that they replace the right hip instead :snork: which I said would be easier but she is going to have the OS who will be doing the op - whoever that may be... to organise a consultation with me so he can see it.
Some information I did gain is that they have a preference to do a spinal with a twilight (I think it is?) for the upper half and they do the replacement through the bum area (that is posterior I guess).
So yes I AM on the waiting list but that is about all I know - it was a relief to have some vindication of just how bad my hip is but an approximate date would be super!
Cheers,
Bill

Well done on your appointment Bill. Very nerve wracking I know! I had posterior with a spinal as well. Spinal is the way to go. No groggy feeling and you are up and about fairly quickly.

I was going to add that there is a definite facial expression when you are in pain. Crutches or not - any person watching you move around with that painful hip would know you are not trying to bump the queue. My colleagues at work commented on this after my THR. That look of coping with pain was gone. Hope you don't have too much longer to wait!

I had another thought (yes, at 1:30 a.m.-- seems to be my thinking time lately!)--

Just as we're told to not compare our recovery process to anyone else's, I think it's equally important to not compare our routes to coming to the decision to have this repaired surgically. Our stories are as unique as we all are, and in my case, I had to quit comparing or else I would lament the years gone by. So! Whether or not we're using devices to help ourselves walk, or if we are silent sufferers, none of that matters. If surgery wasn't medically warranted, we wouldn't be standing in that line! The process is daunting enough, so I vote for all of us to be kind to ourselves. This is a blanket statement for all of us, not to anyone in particular :). Unless it's helpful, and then it can be just for whomever reads it :tada:

On another note, fulafoto, I am glad you went to your appointment! Good first step and now you're in the system. Here's to better days ahead! Interesting to read about being categorized by different team members-- I hope you get a date confirmed soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back