BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] pain

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by thebeech, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeech

thebeech New Member

I never thought that the pain of a total knee replacement was going to be so excruciating!! The pain has been unreal! I was told that because I am younger that the recovery would be slower than if i was an older person!! The thing is i will need it doing again in about 10 years and that is frightening!! Don't get me wrong I am not a wimp and I have had the unfortunate luck to need spinal sugery over the last 5 years but it was nothing in comparison to this pain! Please help me and tell me when the pain will subside I am 6 weeks post op!!

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

United States United States
    What kind of pain management have you had? It sounds as if you've had none. I had 2 knees done 2 days apart, and I was never in excruciating pain but once after the second knee. You need to be taking pain narcotic pain medication every 4 hours. Are you elevating your operated leg (toes above nose)? Are you icing? What kind of exercise or PT are you having? We need some details to be able to assist you.

Your recovery should not be more difficult because you are 50 and I'm 69. Younger people tend to have a harder time because they have no patience and they tend to overdo everything which aggravates an already traumatized knee. And you will not have to go through this again in 10 years. Implants last much longer than that these days.

Please post and answer the questions posed and we will go from there. But mainly at this point you need drugs that will control your pain. Looking for your answer--we care. hugsmile1.gif

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I agree with Judy. You should not be in this kind of pain. Please tell us what type of pain medication you are on and how often you take it. Also how much are you icing and elevating (toes above the nose)? What is your daily activity level (including exercises, therapy, and activities of daily living)?

4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This person who told you you'd have to have it redone in 10 years - are they gifted with second sight or something? That's never been the case although, way back at the beginning of time, we always SAID they might only last 10 years because we didn't know any better. It was a bit of a guestimate and has since proven to be totally untrue. There are more and more reports of people 20, 30 and even 35 years on their original knee replacement and still going strong.

You also need to read these - desperately!
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Progression of activity for TKRs

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

5. newnee

newnee Graduate

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart I agree you should not be in that much pain. What kind of pain meds are you taking and are you taking them around the clock. I had to set an alarm clock to make sure I woke up to take meds on time. Also make sure you are not trying to do to much. You are still early in your recovery and your knee needs time to heal. In addition to taking the pain meds on a regular schedule make sure you , rest, elevate and ice. Keep us posted on how you are doing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.