BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Pain on the outside of my calf

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Joni, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joni

Joni Member

Hi,
    I have been having alot of pain on the outside of my calf. It feels like muscle pain, but sometimes like nerve pain. I think when I saw the Doc at my 2 week check-up he said that it was nerve pain. does that mean that it will always be there? This feels like you want to massage the muscle because it is hard. But it doesnt feel hard. My 6 week check up is coming up next week but this is really painful.

I have had to call the doc to refill a prescription, and he would not give me percocet but gave me Norco, doesnt do much.

I mentioned to PT about pain and he didnt really address it. He was surprised that I was not on something stronger for pain.

This calf pain has never stopped, but it the area has shrunk in size. In the begining it started from my ankle to my knee, and now from my knee to about half way down. I havent read any other posts about this.

Has anybody experienced this? and if so does it get better?:cry:

Joni
  2. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

United States United States
    Joni,

Norco or hydrocodene is just a step down from Percoset or Oxycodeone---a pretty normal step at almost six weeks----I am surprised that you do not get pain relief from it. But, why not call your doc's office and tell him you are not getting enough pain relief? I don't think your doc is going to like your pt commenting on your pain meds!!!! Or is it the nerve pain that is bothering you? Nerve pain would not respond to Norco--or Percoset for that matter.

I think this is the most frustrating time in the rehab of tkr---on the one hand, we are ready to move and do things and on the other, we still don't have stamina and still have some pain. My pain is significantly less than four weeks ago, but I still have some aching bone pain. I have moved to tylenol three and
    Aleve, just because I could not stand the feeling of being on strong narcotics.

I can get up like this am and work in my studio for two hours , take a shower, make breakfast--but, now I am tired and am lying down with three pillows under my knee.

I have a meeting in an hour and a half, will get up and get going then. But, I hate to rest!!!!

I am more aware of every ache and pain as I am lying here---in my studio, since I was painting, I did not even think of my knee. Then, I got up--gh, stiff knee and then I was also aware of pain onthe lateral side of my knee!!!

I hope you get relief from the nerve pain---that is quite painful I hear and I am sure it is annoying too. Kelly
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Of course it will get better! Try massaging it and applying pressure with your knuckles on the very painful points. Find out how much pressure you can bear and then press a bit more. Hold it steady for about 2-3 minutes. Release, rest for a few mins and then do it again. It's called acu-pressure and works a treat. If you can't do it, go see a chiropractor who will do it for you!
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I agree with Kelly that you should let your surgeon know the pain prescription he has given you is not working. There are many choices out there and it would be good to try something else.
  5. reneee

reneee Senior

I know your calf pain could be completely different than mine, but my calf has been alittle sore, (mine hasn't been bad) but my PT said it was the muscles that I have been working in PT.
  6. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

I had calf pain much like you're describing. Mine went away on its own. By the time I had a check-up with my doctor, it had stopped and I forgot to mention it to him. I chalked it up to the fact my leg was aligned correctly and the calf muscle, after years of being stretched in the wrong way, was protesting the correct position.

Mine felt like a burning pain, also hard, but not hard to the touch.

But I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. :wink:
  7. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Joni
    I had an issue with the muscle that runs from just under the knee on the outside of the leg, down the outside of the calf and seemed to end in the middle of my shin. It was miserable for several weeks. I did massage it which seemed to be the best help. I tried to ice it as much as I could. Also tried a little heat (didn't help much).

Hope this resolves soon...I know it is uncomfortable. :skp:
  8. ginawhitmarsh

ginawhitmarsh Senior

Joni,
    My pain changed alot. Its not the excruciating pain from surgery but now an achy pain that radiates into my calf and into my thigh. The same kind of pain you feel from menstrual cramps. I mentioned this to my pt today. She thinks it is that my muscles need to be stretched more, especially my hamstrings. I have noticed my leg does not want to lay straight on the table. If I force my foot to be straight I get an ache in my leg that is so annoying. So I have alot of stretching to do to correct my leg position. Im also starting to get hip pain on that side from all the cheating I do when I exercise ( I lift my hip alot to eliviate pain).

Maybe extra strethes would help......escpeially calf stretch. Do you do those? They say to do both legs not just the operated one. It actually feels good to strecth out the calf muscle. Maybe that muscle in your calf is screaming for attention.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.