TKR Optimistic1's Recovery Thread

Optimistic1

Country
United States United States
Made it to the other side. Surgery was 2:00. Had nerve block -typical nit sleeping but pain is pretty well controlled for now and bladder us working! Just got up and walked and used commode. So happy to be starting rehab! Looking forward to many long walks in the summer months- pain free... Doctor very pleased

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

So glad all went well, will look forward reading about your recovery

Congratulations on your successful voyage to the "Other Side"!!! We will continue to look forward to hearing your updates as you go through your recovery.

I moved your post from the Pre-Op area to the Recovery area so we could keep better track of you and your progress.
Here are some article for you to read when you feel up to it---they are rather short, but are exceptionally informational about all of the aspects of a TKR recovery. Here they are for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Keep those good reports coming! We look forward to hearing more about your recovery and progress!

Congrats on the new knee. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Came home yesterday and son spent the night to keep an eye on me Vna to call today as well as rehab ...Feeling the usual 4th day post surgical pain and working on the Bend issue. Enjoying my new chair and best of all ICE MACHINE!!!!

Just curious. Has anyone had muscle type cramps post knee surgery;? The last 2 nights I've had them and was discharged from hospital with a relaxant however the vna said I probably don't need them with dilutid sorry for misspelling. The dilutid is 2-3 tabs prn 3 hrs and I'm taking 2 every 4 hrs. I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks all

Yes, lots of people get muscle cramps. I had a mild muscle relaxer but didn't take it close to a pain med dose. That may be what your vna nurse was thinking of. You should ask your doctor (call the doc's nurse) if you're not sure. The other thing that might help you a bit is something I did--a bit of gentle stretching and/or mild heat on the muscles (not the knee).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had excruciating calf cramp for at least 2 weeks. Gentle massage and wheatbag warmth did the truck for me.

Thank you for the feedback. I've been massaging the last couple days with some relief. I just wish I could be more comfortable at night. No matter what position I try I can't get comfortable. I know it's only been a week but I really want to be able to get off pain meds

Please don't worry about getting off our pain meds too soon. You will need them. The first MONTH is hard. You will not get addicted to the pain meds in this time. Are you having side effects to the pain meds? If so, perhaps your OS can prescribe something different. It is hard to get comfortable at first. Have you tried heat on the calf? Just don't put any heat on the knee.

I had horrible cramps and nerve pain with my 2nd knee. I don't remember it the first time. My doctor tried flexeril which helped but it reacted with the tramadol so I couldn't take it very long. It caused terrible dizziness and I almost fell! I finally used heat on the back of my thigh and calf (keep it away from your knee) and it started to calm down after a couple of weeks. You really need the pain meds for a few weeks if for no other reason but to help knock you out so you can rest since you can't really get in a comfortable position. Don't try and get off of them too soon.

I just wish I could be more comfortable at night. No matter what position I try I can't get comfortable. I know it's only been a week but I really want to be able to get off pain meds
It's much too soon to be thinking about coming off pain meds. A knee replacement is major surgery and you need those meds. That you are uncomfortable at night suggests that you're under-medicated.

Why do you want to come off the meds so soon?

I think it's because I keep hearing these stories of people being over medicated and becoming addicted to the pain meds. Typically I take the pain medicine prescribed 1 every2- 3 hrs now 2 every 4-5 hrs. It knocks me out, well not literally, but does require me to lay down down. Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Because you're taking the narcotics for a genuine reason -pain relief after major surgery - there is very little chance of your becoming addicted. This article explains:
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

The time to reduce your pain meds is when you start forgetting to take a dose without feeling increased pain, and not before.

If taking the pain meds causes you to need to lie down, that's a good thing at this early stage, because you should be spending most of your time resting, icing and elevating. Your knee needs a month of minimal activity so that it can begin its healing - and right now, resting is your main job.

Do remember that this is a long recovery, about a year. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Hi Optimistic! I had my left TKR done on Feb 3( First.. hopefully last !HA !) . I too did not want to take the heavy drugs - fear but I also tend to get panicky/ anxious on them. I left hospital Friday the 6th with dilaudid... but made me feel like a zombie. So I tried with just tylenol for 3 days. That did not work well! Called the doctor and got Tramadol- YEA! It works on the pain but my head was not all fuzzy.
I have had crampy calves off and on too. I do the feet pumps and also ice them once or twice a day. The icing has helped when one or the other of the leg muscles have complained so far.
Sleeping position is also difficult for me. I found that tucking a flattish pillow between my legs helped a lot but still this is on my list of questions for my PT visit tomorrow. The VNA came a few times but there was a different person each time - got confusing so I go out patient to my local PT tomorrow - I know and trust them so hoping for help! I'll let you know what they say.
Hang in there- we are TKR neighbors I am just north of you in NH!

Redsoxmama-thanks for the feedback. I came home on dilaudid 2 mg 2-3 every 3 hrs but now I'm taking 2 every 5-6 . We'll see how I do. I massaged it before bed tonite after exercise and taking 1/2 muscle relaxant. Pt tomorrow 3 times a week..hopefully I can sleep tonite. We are neighbors ...keep in touch and we can compare notes . Hope you feel better. I have to remember it's only been a week

It has only been a week!
Be kind to yourself and get whatever pain relief you can to get the pain level under control. I have spent years in my job avoiding medication but there is NO WAY on this earth I would have got through this without pain meds.
Like you, I did worry about getting hooked but as everyone says here, once the pain eases (and it will eventually!) then you naturally find yourself taking less and less.

Congratulations on your new knee. The first few weeks are the toughest part. I found that going to sleep with an icepack on my knee helped a lot. I also took naps during the day whenever I could.Good luck with your recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back