Only a few days left......

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsy

Country
United States United States
OK, so I am getting a little scared and now just want to get it over with --trying to prepare but not thinking about the actual surgery (or post-op) too much. Trying to keep busy without being able to walk much.....can't even swim much any more. I guess it is time to just take each challenge as it comes. Like walking.

It took me a long time to get here. Being a naturopathic type of person, I had difficulty coming to terms with having surgery to replace a part of me. Snout a year and a half ago, I was told (by a Dr. I do not go to anymore) that I should just keep exercising and the pain in my hip would continue to improve. Wrong. The pain ebbed but returned with a vengeance, so that I eventually had to hold on to furniture to navigate around the room and use a cane all the time. My current Dr. told me I needed the hip replacement, but would not do surgery until weight went down due to increased risk of complications. Surgery was scheduled, then postponed. Finally, got the go ahead for surgery next week. It has been almost two years and yes, I am anxious for some sort of closure and moving on. I am looking forward to getting my life and activities back. The scope of your life gets smaller and smaller when you cannot do the things you want to do- sometimes you do not realize that it is happening because we make excuses why we do not or cannot do something.

SO now I think I am ready emotionally and physically to move forward. I am thinking that I am fortunate that THR is an option--years ago folks just got worse and less mobile and ended up in a wheelchair and taking pain meds instead of getting their lives back.

CT Joint Replacement Center had a good pre-op workshop for those of us scheduled for a joint replacement with presentations by a nurse from the surgical unit, a hospital pharmacist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, and others. With great resources and a question/answer period, it was a good way to share a lot of information and help to put folks at ease. They gave us a notebook with information about what to expect, including info on meds, hospital stay, suggested aids, what to bring, etc. They also participate in the National Joint Registry, which is something I am happy to be a part of.

Enough of my yakking, but I have a quick question. I like to read, but wonder if I will be able to do so or interested in reading during first weeks of recovery or do the pain meds keep you sleepy? Do Puzzles?

One last note -- those electric carts they have in the larger stores (Home Depot, Sam's Club, etc.) are a lot more fun than I thought they'd be!

Best of luck to all-
Woodsy

Here I was complaining about my 10 month journey that led me to surgery... my goodness, bless your heart for riding this out 2 years!!! When it comes to reading and pain pills, I think it effects people different ways. I am planning trying knitting while recovering for this surgery... time will tell how it works out.

I'll be absolutely thinking of you on august 6th and look forward to hearing about your recovery! I'll anxiously meet you on the other side august 20th. :yahoo:

Woodsy, I think we all hear you about how much smaller our lives became as we stopped doing things. When this is over, your life will revolve around your recovery for a while. But one day you'll suddenly realize that you have options again...it's almost overwhelming to have choices and decisions that YOU get to make, instead of having them made for you.

In the hospital, I had reading material, but I hardly touched it....except for my iPad. :) There are constant interruptions in the hospital, and if you have anyone keeping you company you won't need to read. But I would certainly take a book or a couple magazines for the odd moment when you want them. Once you get home, you will definitely be able to read, although you may find your attention span isn't very long. I love to do puzzles when I want to fall asleep....I enjoy them but they send me to lullaby-land, which is good. Don't fight sleep at all....you need it for good healing.

cjorad;, I am an avid knitter. For my first THR, I planned two projects that I fully expected to get done while I recovered. Hah! I never touched them. So for this THR, I didn't plan anything. I had a couple things on the needles that didn't require thinking, and I maybe knit a few rows at night when I watched TV. I did however resume going to my knitting groups after the first week, and I'm just now (3 weeks out) starting some new projects.

Both of you ladies....you'll be fine...up and around before you know it. I'll be watching for you on the other side.

Sharon

Good to know. Thank you for the insight! I'll try the ipad distraction as well.

Hi Woodsy

Thats me back after my second hip done LTHR evrything appears fine so stop worrying everythung will be ok.

Billy

Good luck for Monday 6 August Woodsy - we will be waiting for you on the post op side :)

Woodsy, I couldn't concentrate on reading just post op. Frankly my head was spinning. I was just so relieved that it was over and done! I had my phone and if you read my recovery thread I was on this forum within hours of my surgery. Just needed to share my joy and my worries with people here who understand. You'll be fine. Please keep us updated!

I've noticed by reading so many post op that everyone's experience right after surgery is different. I took some
word search books and my laptop, even took some stationary, but the only thing I felt like doing during that time
in the hospital was more pain meds. lol However some were using their toys to write here on Bonesmart within
hours of their surgery, so I am anxious to see what you feel like right after.
Best of luck to you.. see you on the other side.
Pam

Good luck on Monday, Woodsy! You've been waiting a long time for this! One thing to keep in mind, this surgery recovery requires patience above all else. The healing process can be slower than you'd like. Then again, it may be faster. But we are all different, so don't go by anyone else's experience but your own. I didn't get around to reading until about 4 weeks post-surgery. I did a lot of messing around on the internet, and caught up on some old TV shows and movies. Magazines are nice, geared toward the short attention span!

Thank you all for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Reporting to hospital tomorrow morning at 5am. Doctor phoned me this afternoon (Sunday!) to ask if I had any additional questions and gave me some encouraging words. Nice....

BTW - doctor had recommended eating plenty of protein in preparation for surgery -- just a tip I thought I'd pass along. I've been eating extra protein plus plenty of fresh fruits and veggies-- it's something I can do to help myself and it may help preparing my body for the surgery.

Trying to think happy thoughts......
Smiles to all--
Woodsy

All the best Woodsy! See you on the other side!

Well, I made it!!!!! It is done and today is the first post-op day. I am very relieved and happy that the pain is so much less than I anticipated and feared. Pain level has been 2 out of 10 most of the time--so very little pain meds so far. I will be discharged to home Thurs. Aug 9. I feared pain like I had delivering my 10lb 6 oz baby naturally. That was my reference point for a 10. So far, so good! Will post on the other side for post op....

Way to go woodsy!!!! :happydance: And a 2 out of 10 for pain!?!? How wonderful! I'm so happy to hear you FINALLY have some relief! That is truly encouraging news for those of us with surgery right around the corner also.

Now I'm curious, tell me if and when you pick up a book.

No book yet --just this computer! TV does not interest me much yet. Still resting a lot and PT had me walking the halls three times yesterday, the day after surgery. That effort was still only a 4 on the pain scale for me, so I feel very fortunate
to have so little pain. In the weeks before surgery, I loaded up on veggies, fruits and protein, and kept swimming -- don't know if that made the difference, but it may have helped. Going home tomorrow.

I have foot pumps for added circulation, a nice view of rolling hills from my hospital bed, and a very attentive hospital staff. Life is good. I just can't believe the scariest part is over and how fortunate I am with my recovery so far.

Thank you!!!!
Woodsy

Woodsy, congrats on your new hip----oooooooh! life will be soooooooo good now! Don't forget to start a new thread in the hip recovery forum. Be sure and pick a title that will be good for your whole recovery postings.

Before long this will be you----
walker.gif
----and maybe this too----
dance in circle.gif
Won't it be fun! Take care of yourself, start that new thread and keep us posted, we care.
hugsmile1.gif

oops.gif
---just as I clicked out to the list of new posts---I see you have started a new thread--my bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom