BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[BILATERAL TKRs] Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by My way, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    Thanks Lmarshall I was thinking the same. last night was rough. I couldn't get comfortable, all over the bed all night. The legs sure got exercise! I took another dose of meds at 6 and slept till 8 30. Gonna get my hair washed and get dressed today I'll feel so much better.

2. new knee in June

new knee in June Supremo

United States United States
    Good morning my way,
    How are you today :) I hope you get the meds you need for a proper recovery :friends:
    Well I just spent the whole morning in court with the warriors :groan: the charges are tampering with an I.v
    & trespassing on hospital property.
    It was so sad, the lads only wanted you to feel better....but, alas our laws say other wise.
    There bond is 3,000 dollars :shocked: I,m afraid I must contact Sonja & joe....they are not going to be to happy.
    Please rest today & don't let this concern you......
    Thinking of you always,
    Diana :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dulcimer Diva

Dulcimer Diva Sr Bonesmartie

I get that jumping, but mostly when I'm drifting off to sleep (espec. when napping). I think that in my case it's the morphine derivative in the long-acting Oxymorphone I'm on; if you're on Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) that could possibly be a cause. I know the one time back in '96 after tibial plateau repair/iliac wing bone harvest surgery that I was on a PCA pump delivering morphine, I got so frustrated by the "clonic jerks" it caused (much more intense than what you & I have) that I requested Vicodin instead. Maybe a different opioid or other pain med (if it has acetaminophen in it, you could cut way back on or even stop the supplemental Tylenol) is the solution--talk to your OS or FP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

The leg movement you describe is really common and can last a while in some fashion or other. It usually occurs when lying down or sleeping and can be quite disruptive of your sleep. Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library that may help you. I experienced it with my last TKR and this time found that leg massages with Vitamin E oil really helped. I would do the massage in circles working from below the knee up to mid thigh, working especially on the quad muscles. I have also had good results from a heating pad in the small of my back. In my case, I believe this is a muscle spasm in my quads that is a result of the surgery. I had it with my other knee but it was one of the last of the irritating things to go away.

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What is your prescription for the Dilaudid? And does it contain any Tylenol?

6. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    My prescription is Dilaudid 2-4mg every 4 hours as needed. My GP has now added tylenol to be taken with it. He also gave me percocet . He said after a few more days this may be enough. I have to say I haven't needed as many Dilaudid today.:SUNsmile:

7. new knee in June

new knee in June Supremo

Hello my way,
    How are you today :SUNsmile: good i hope....one of the things I like about bone smart is how
    People who have had the surgery...go to the pre-op side & calm the fears for those folks :console2: I have
    Seen you over there...you are very compassionate to help people with your knowledge.
    I haven't heard from puffin or Toni in a few days......hope all is well.
    Take care :friends:
    Diana

• Like Like x 1
  8. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    Hello there@Diana I haven't heard anything either. I hope they are getting better and getting more active.:) I'm doing Okay. The nurse was here this morning. My incisions look great! Nice and neat with no drainage or redness and the staples come out next Tuesday. I can go to her office or she will come up to my house if I don't feel up to going out! I've so lucky to have hit caregivers that agree with me all along the way! She was impressed with the lack of swelling and she thought my gait was good. I'm still using the walker though. I told her I rest when I want and do simple exercises. No forcing my knees and the hospital PT was very gentle. She asked if she could use my case at their next meeting as most of her patients are getting PT from day one and they aren't as far ahead with their recovery as I seem to be.:happydance:I Told about Bone Smart and she is going to have a peek.
    I'm a little more stiff and sore today and I blame it on having slept through the night. I went to bed at 10 and slept till 3. I took more pain killers and slept like a log till 7. Be careful what you wish for.:yikes: The solid sleep meant my legs didn't move much all night and don't want to move today.
    I've had the usual bathroom problem but that also corrected it'self this morning.:snork:
    How is every thing with you. Moving forward I hope. I understand You bailed the Lads out! You're a braver woman than I!:rotfl:
    chat soon
    :friends:
    Wanda

9. new knee in June

new knee in June Supremo

Dear my way,
    You sound like you will be teaching alot of people about the bonesmart ways :egypdance:
    I consider myself lucky to...great hospital care....caring p.t ( she is releasing me Thursday) to
    Out patient......my only complaint is after not moving I stiffen up :gaah: this 2 shall pass.
    Continue doing well :kittykiss:
    I'm thinking of you....always
    Diana :SUNsmile:

10. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    Well I must be the only person that doesn't go to bed praying or a full nights sleep!:rotfl: I slept fairly well last night but my legs were more active in bed than the night before. When I woke this morning I knew my knees were less stiff than yesterday when each step was Ouch, Curse, Ouch, Swear.....:yikes:
    I don't have much visible swelling but my knees felt smaller this morning as well. Since last night the pain isn't returning a couple of hours after taking my pain meds. I'm going 4 to 5 hours. :happydance:
    Sure hope I'm not going to jinx this by feeling so upbeat.:beg:
    I'm going to increase my activity slightly today and see what happens. Just a little stroll around the garden and have coffee on the deck.
    RestAssured inspojo or who ever has the lads at this point, I've lost track. keep them away for a few more days.
    Wanda

11. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

That's the way to do it.

12. HorseyLady

HorseyLady Member

Hello Wanda! Just catching up with your thread to see how you are doing! Glad to see that you are sleeping better and you seem a little more upbeat now :angel:

Did you increase your activity? And how are you feeling? I drove myself for the first time today - my car is automatic and it is my left leg so I was under the assumption that driving would be no big deal "as the leg just sits there". Well how wrong can you be! I felt most uncomfortable with lots of thigh pressure, then had to endure PT before driving back home again. I won't be making that mistake again for a few days lol.

I don't have the warriors but I do have 2 cabana boys who Diana sent to the UK :dancy: They are enough for me to deal with right now!

Take Care :ok:

13. stormy48

stormy48 New Member

Hi, glad things are going well for you and that sleeping is not a problem. Sounds like you are doing great. An inspiration to the rest of us. Keep up the good work :friends:

14. new knee in June

new knee in June Supremo

Hello my way,
    How are you today :) good i hope. I'm doing well, just dealing with tightness. I have my
    Last in home therapy tomorrow, then Monday start out patient therapy for 1month.2 times a week.
    Then hopefully back to work in mid. August :happydance: I can't wait.
    Are you using cpm machines, do you have the coolers that circulate ice water around your knee.....
    I wish you only the best :friends:
    Slow & steady wins this race :SUNsmile:
    Diana

15. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    Hey new knee in June, Diana I'm feeling really good today. I don't use a CPM machine, cooling cuffs or the dreaded ted hose. No PT only gentle heel slides, ankle pumps, ankle rotations, a few knee bends and stretches(while in bed) and walking around the house. That's all I was asked to do on discharge. If things keep going like this I don't think PT is in my future. :beg:
    I went and sat on the deck today and soaked up the sun for an hour or so and I am less tired. I lie down every so often because I think I should and I want to keep the swelling away.
    I'm happy to hear you are almost done with the at home pt. Another hurdle over
    Wanda

16. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

My way, I think this would be an excellent decision. I had a little rehab in the hospital and in inpatient rehab, and for about 6 weeks at home. Just really easy stuff--nice and gentle and no pushing. Never did any more PT and never really bothered to do any exercises after that. I just got on with taking care of my semi-invalid hubby, the cats, the house, the yard. You know---just living my life. I have good ROM and do pretty much what I want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. new knee in June

new knee in June Supremo

Good morning my way,
    I hope you continue doing well :) so good to sit out in the :SUNsmile: sometimes I have no pain & sometimes
    I do :groan: it's like my knee can't make up it's mind :what: so good to hear from Toni.. I hope her swelling
    Goes down....puffins been quiet for awhile...
    I :angel: we all do well in our recovery,
    Diana :kittykiss:

18. puffin

puffin Graduate

Sweden Sweden
    Hi My way - I'm glad that your pain seems to be better controlled and that the PT favours a gentle approach. I know what you mean about the pain not being able to make up its mind

I also had the leg jumpy thing regularly for a couple of weeks post-op - but I haven't had an episode for 2 weeks now so hopefully yours will pass soon as well

Take good care :friends:

• Like Like x 1
  19. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    OHhh puffin You bees back!:happydance:I was getting a little worried. How are things?The jumpy thing is a tad annoying and you've given me hope it may soon settle.
    new knee in June look who I found!!!
    Well today's news....Still no swelling and walking seems to be getting a little easier. Trying to remember heel, ball, toe.The wheeled walker is a blessing. No marathons in sight yet,not even a thought about my beloved beach. (I must be in pain). My knees feel very stiff and it seems to be the staples. I'm stuck with them till Tuesday.:sigh: I think the the pain is less but, darn it's always there. Getting up and down is not as bad now and Himself reminded me this morning that I'm only 9 days out. I still haven't sat in the living room as my set is very soft leather. We did raise a chair several inches but I know if I sit on it my butt will sink down and that won't be good! :yikes: Picture someone being swallowed by a sofa with their legs off the ground and their head and arms sticking out.:rotfl:
    I'm still going at my own pace and that will be fine as long as my impatience stays away. So far so Good!
    Wanda

20. robynhood

robynhood Sr Bonesmartie

Alison HorseyLady I see you have been driving. Just wondering if you checked with your insurance. Its usual to wait until after youve been discharged from your OS at six week check up. I was hesitant at six weeks to be honest. Took a while to drive being comfortable but then i dont have an automatic. Its nice to have the freedom back tho. Take Care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.