October 7 RTHR . . . Looking forward to no pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtina16405

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi. I am 48 and will be having right hip replacement on October 7. It has been a very long journey. I was born with hip dysplasia and didn't find out until 2 years ago when my pain started. I have been an athlete all my life. Played competitive fast pitch softbal until I was 32 and then joined coed after my son was born. I had been running 5ks and my pain started a year after I started the 5k journey. At first it would come and go, I thought I pulled a muscle each time I completed my run. Then one day the pain stayed and got worse. That's when I saw the orthopedic. Of course I was 46 and he felt I was too young for surgery and I still had cartilage (about 1/4"). So we tried pain management. What a joke! Physical therapy, chiropractor, mayo fascia release, acupuncture,cortisteroid shot, ice therapy. Nothing worked. Within 8 months I went from som cartridge to no cartridge. Yes bone on bone. I am tired of the pain. I am tired of the sleepless nights. I am tired of walking with a limp. Am I nervous? Of course, this is a big surgery. But after easing the recovery posts, to not have bone on bone pain. I will take the small nervousness for my life back. I may never play softball again or run. But if I can ride a bike and swim and walk and hike with no pain, I will be a happy camper.

@xtina16405 , welcome to BoneSmart! I had the same experience - born with dysplasia which was not discovered until my left hip collapsed. You won't regret this surgery! And you may indeed play softball again. We have many members who are back to doing the activities they love post THR. Stick with us here through this journey.

Hi @xtina16405 I had bone on bone, too; I was so fearful of a hip replacement.
Good grief!
My recovery was very good, and nothing like I had feared. You will not regret doing this.
I am very very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for all your advice. I have read many of the recoveries. It is good to know that one can feel so good after. What gives me hope are the members who have said the surgery pain is nothing like the bone on bone pain. Today was a bad day. I didn't sleep well and was in so much pain. It took all my energy just to walk. My doctor has only prescribed naprosin for the hip pain. It doesn't help.

Hello there @xtina16405. Sorry you are having a bad day.....nothing really touches that bone on bone pain, does it? It is really amazing that as soon as the op has been done that pain has gone. Of course there is surgery pain but it is nothing compared to the pre op pain. October is rolling around quickly so not too long to wait...that is the worst bit...the waiting & wondering. I had my THR nearly a year ago & I truly have the forgotten hip. It's amazing! I had a slow but steady recovery, perhaps being of the more mature variety!!! Glad you have found BS....it's truly a lifesaver. Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Hi, I am 20 years older than you, but fit and strong. I probably wore the hips out by loving to exercise, but who knows. I am now 8+ weeks out from my right hip replacement, left was 20 months ago. Pain is gone. I can do everything. My surgeon told me, 'if you want to ski next year, go for it'...but I doubt I will. But I will play golf next week, I can run after grand kids, live a nice pain-free life. I put it off as much as possible for the left hip just like you, it was about a year from first pain to surgery; the second was done ASAP after the first right hip pain and seeing x-rays.

The waiting is worse than the actual surgery and recovery. Read my recovery threads -- links in my signature -- for a good idea of what a good recovery can be. Of course it is major surgery, but you are in good shape.

Good luck!

Mark

Welcome @xtina16405 - you really won't know yourself when the bone on bone pain magically disappears following surgery :)

Although your surgery is not until October, here is some pre reading, knowledge is power :)

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets

Hi @xtina16405 ! I will just ditto what everyone else said about the preop pain disappearing. I am amazed at the difference surgery made. My recovery has been so great. Getting your life back is a wonderful blessing!

3 weeks to go until my surgery date.

Thankful for this site.

I have been using a cane to help with the bone on bone pain. I had called the doctor to see I there was anything he could do. He asked if I was using the cane. I was not. So I started using it and it has helped.

This week I have my pre-op class. The nerves are beginning. I am worried I won't be prepared and will my ideas of sleeping arrangements and chairs work. I am sure I will find out more in pre-op class Wednesday.

Thank you to all of you who share your stories. They really help.

Kristina

@xtina16405 I learned a lot in preop class about what would happen while I was in the hospital. They have me the generic listing of stuff you need at home to recover. I found the advice on this website much more practical. I slept in my power recliner ( found it for $279 at Costco) for several weeks after surgery. I was (am) a right side sleeper, so it was really hard to get comfortable in my bed after surgery. I found that I could shift myself around pretty easily in the recliner. We don't have any chairs in our house with arms, so I used hubby's sturdy camping chair with a pillow in the seat- worked great. The recliner was my favorite place to relax for a few months. If you have any questions, ask!

Hi everyone. I had my pre-op class today. It was very informative. I was happy that I had already learned many of the topics here on this site from all the wonderful hippies and pre-hippies. They did provide me with my hip kit. Putting on pants seems to be the most challenging. I need to get a seat for my toilet. The therapist said because I am 5'9" it was a must. I will get the walker after my surgery. It was great to hear all the information and the one thing they stressed was staying on top of your pain medicine. Not allowing the pain to take over. I know Josephine preaches this. I don't like taking pain medicine but I will definitely listen to all the pros who have the experience. I am 20 sleeps away from my surgery date. 12 sleeps from my pre-op appointment. I know it will be here before I know it. Thanks to everyone who shares on this forum. It is such a blessing.

You are certainly getting prepared!!! Being so informed and prepared will help keep the anxiety down. Bravo to you!!!

I know Josephine preaches this

preach.gif

Hi Kristina

The clock is ticking you are just about there, read up on your original thread and it took me back unable to sleep, limping and the constant pain, life at the time was just a misery and when I got that first hip replacement I will never forget the joy of being able to walk with my walking stick and not feel that constant pain in my knee. :yes!:

Billy

@forbesy yes I am counting down. 10 days away. Monday I have my pre-op. I am nervous and excited. I am happy to hear the great news about pain free and great sleep ahead. I will update after pre-op.

Kristina

You will soon be feeling so much better -- you can only imagine! Its better than Christmas morning!

My pre-op is Wednesday for the 15th. I hope I can contain my excitement - they will be reminded again that I'm the crazy one!

Hi all -

Today was my pre-op appointments. What a long day! :sigh: Started at 8:30 am and finished at 1:00 pm. My surgeon was running a little behind schedule. He explained the process. My surgery will be 10/7 Time TBD. I will be having the posterior cut. He prefers this because he will be able visualize the femur better. His concern is that I have dysplasia and my pelvic bone is very shallow. He may need to build onto my pelvic with the bone he cuts off or metal pieces. He said my type of surgery is not the standard hip replacement. There may be more to it, but he won't know until he gets in and sees. He would rather do the posterior because if he starts anterior cut and has to add on to the pelvic I will have two scars vs. one.

Now the decision . . . ceramic or plastic? :chinstroke: My surgeon says less break down with the ceramic. Because of my age, he prefers this. I am to let him know on 10/7. He will have both prosthesis' there, ready to go!

So, I am 8 sleeps away from surgery day. Excited and apprehensive all at the same time.

I am forever grateful to all of you who share your stories. It is nice to know that I am not the only one experiencing the emotions and will be celebrating with all of you on the other end! Thank you!!:thankyou:

Kristina

Glad it all went well...not long to wait now until your pain free new hip arrives! Xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@xtina16405, so happy for you to be so near your surgery date! The last few days will fly by and you'll be sporting a new hip, sans pain, the same day! What a great promise of new life and how life-changing this surgery is for all of us!!! I'll be watching for you on "the other side" and will pray for your calm spirit and a very uneventful surgery/recovery to follow! You've GOT THIS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties