BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

NSAIDs after TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by edk, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edk

edk Senior

Preop I was taking a ton of naproxen a day. And when I got sent home from the hospital, the release instructions said only tylonol and Rx pain meds. I assumed it was because of the coumadin. My wife fell and broke a finger and the orthopod who treated her said NSAID's prevent bone healing so tylonol only. I did a bunch of web searching and it seems there is some data which suggests depending on the drug (naproxen/ibuprofen aren't so bad, some Rx NSAIDs are really bad) NSAID's can delay bone healing. I forgot to ask my doc when I did my post op visit if they're ok. Have any of your doc's cautioned against them? If so for how long.

I sure feel better taking some naproxen sometime (and worry less about destroying my liver
    with tylonol)
  2. JenniferG

JenniferG Supremo

My doc prescribed, gave me an RX slip, for ibuprophen with all my discharge stuff.
  3. edk

edk Senior

I had a friend who's an ER doc tell me that by 8 weeks probably all the integration of the bone and prosthesis that is going to happen has happened. So I was figuring its OK.
  4. doug

doug Forum Advisor

My Doc suggested rotating Tylenol, ibuprofen, and Naproxen.
    My personal preference is the Naproxen. Tylenol really hasn't done anything for me in years.
  5. beachcomber

beachcomber Post-Grad

United States United States
    Tylenol has no anti-inflammatory properties--- analgesia only. I think overuse can damage the kidneys.
    Ibuprofen is an NSAID and may cause liver damage with long term use. Also apparently increases cardio/stroke risks.
    Naproxen is NSAID too, but has never been very effective for me. I take diclofenac (prescription NSAID), but couldn't say how much it helps since I still have arthritis symptoms...
  6. JenniferG

JenniferG Supremo

But didn't they find that Ibuprophen may help push off ahltztimers type things. I liked the celebrex once it kicks in. But with my insurance it is very expensive.
  7. doug

doug Forum Advisor

Kind of a "pick your poison" thing isn't it?
  8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You're right, Doug. These days there are conflicting "studies" and "reports" regarding almost everything. It's very hard to make decisions. Sometimes I think it's best just not to know about all that and just take the least amount of anything to get the job done. Everything has a down side.
  9. JenniferG

JenniferG Supremo

Alot of it is called Junk science. Means nothing in 6 months to a year from now. We'll all die from something at some point and I don't want to hurt til then. All I know is that ibuprophen is really the only thing that helps me whether knees, teeth or any other body part. Like Carolyn said, it is the anti-inflammatory properties, and most of what ever is wrong with me has to do with that. I'm generally an inflamed person! lol
  10. beachcomber

beachcomber Post-Grad

I'm with you, Jen! Inflammation is my "game" lol

Have you tried any of the "anti-inflammatory diets"? I have friends who swear by it.... I dunno. I tried it--- but it didn't keep me from needing a KR.... does that mean it doesn't work? Who knows? I am considering going back on it with my sore "other" knee all riled up. Can't hurt, I guess, and I lost weight on it... but it is very restrictive.
  11. doug

doug Forum Advisor

Does the diet include tater tots, fried chicken and biscuits?? Guess I'll keep popping pills
  12. JenniferG

JenniferG Supremo

No I haven't even heard of it, but the word restrictive scares me...lol
    Is it that no dairy/ gluten free thing? My sister keeps trying to convince me that I am allergic to dairy and soy because she is. And everything she has read says that bthat allergy shows/contributes with the inflamation issues. I have heard that tomates are nor good if you are arthritic/inflammed.
  13. beachcomber

beachcomber Post-Grad

This particular book I have (written by a local naturopath) recommends:
    NO potatoes, tomatoes, citrus (These are considered most important for those with arthritis and I can handle eliminating them with few regrets)
    NO wheat or dairy (inconvenient and not sure I believe in these being bad for me)
    NO corn, sugar, pork, shellfish, non-organic eggs, peanut butter, coffee, and alcohol
    NO juices, caffeinated teas, soda, anything containing hygrogenated oils(THAT I can get on board with)
    NO processed foods and fried foods...

Eat MORE cold-water, oily fish containing essential fatty acids (salmon, mackerel, halibut
    Pineapple (fresh)
    Fruits and vegetables not listed above
    Garlic, ginger, and turmeric ( curries.... yum)
    Nuts and seeds (except peanuts)
    Flaxseed oil, olive oil
    filtered water

The idea is to follow it faithfully for a month, then gradually begin to add foods back in one at a time to see which ones trigger inflammation.

I played around with it, lost some weight, but never followed it strictly. I do know people who swear it has changed their lives....
  14. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How come almost every other thread in here ends with food!

[​IMG]
  15. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I am like Doug---Tylenol does nothing for me---advil and Aleve work the best. They do raise one's BP, though.

Tim C.
  16. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Beach...that diet.....geeze, just kill me now!!! There are a lot of good things on that diet I'd be hard pressed to eliminate....tomatoes especially!!!
  17. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

The diet would be hard to follow, especially when you are allergic to fish. I guess its drugs for me! Darn!
  18. doug

doug Forum Advisor

Diet.....The dirtiest four letter word in the English language!!!
  19. JenniferG

JenniferG Supremo

Allergic to fish, wow.
    That diet kinda sounds like the one I HAVE heard of.
    Could I do it, like you said maybe to some extent. Enough to actually establish if there were a trigger food, ??????????????????????????
  20. beachcomber

beachcomber Post-Grad

The book suggests that even if you eliminate some of the worst offenders (potatoes, tomatoes, and citrus) that it will help.
    When I tried it, I can't say it "saved" me--- still had the KR, but I am thinking of playing around with it again. I am battling inflammation in both knees, so it can't hurt to try. Even if it reduces the inflammation by 10-25% it would help...better that than some of the medical options.....I know my rheumy is going to push for injections when I see her next week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.