BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Northern California Hip Surgeons?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by calmom51, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calmom51

calmom51 Junior Member

Since my other thread was deleted (perhaps I am not allowed to mention doctor names???) I will ask very simply: if anyone has had experience with hip replacement surgeons in Northern California (San Francisco/Palo Alto/San Jose) please PM me. I am trying to find the right doctor to do my THR. I am just trying to gather information. Thank you.

2. Elizak

Elizak Senior

I don't know anything about surgeons in your area, but I hope that I can offer some things to help you find one.

Have you read the article in the library prepared by Josephine about how to choose a surgeon ? Most important factor seems to be number of replacements done per year.

You can also use the find a clinic tool tool at top of page to find surgeons in your area to interview.

3. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

4. Roza53

Roza53 Junior Member

Dr. Louay Toma at Muir Orthopedics, Walnut Creek, was recommended. He does anterior approach. But I didn't see him.
    You can write doctors names here, no problem.

5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Calmom.....sorry for the confusion on your initial thread. Sarah did try to notify you by posting a tag to let you know she had done the merge.

No problem at all mentioning doctors' names here on BoneSmart. We want our members to hear the good work done by surgeons in their area so they know who to schedule meetings with in prep for their own surgery.

6. calmom51

calmom51 Junior Member

Thanks, everyone!

So far, I'm mainly acquainted with the doctors at Stanford Hospital. Today I went there with my oldest daughter for her scoliosis checkup. She is 18 and stopped wearing her nighttime brace a little over a year ago. (He scoliosis developed around age 12). She is seeing Dr. Rinsky there. He is considered one of the best pediatric orthopedists in the country. (Good news: her scoliosis has not progressed and it is unlikely that it will!) She has a 30 degree curve in her upper back but fortunately you can't see it unless she bends over and you're looking for it. It just about killed me when this happened to her....it was very emotional for me and my husband. Thanks to Dr. Rinsky it is unlikely she will need any spinal surgery.

Anyway, I asked him for some THR recommendations for myself. He does a lot of very complicated orthopedic spine and hip surgeries and has 36 years of experience and works with the entire Stanford team. He told me that both Dr. Goodman and Dr. Bellino are considered extremely excellent. He told me that if I wanted to get opinions outside of Stanford, I should look up Dr. Mow in the East Bay (who does surgery at Stanford) or Dr. Hartford at PAMF (Palo Alto Medical Foundation).

I am posting this information for anyone else in my area who may be looking for a good hip replacement surgeon or other opinions.

Tomorrow I see Dr. Sampson in SF for a second opinion regarding a "scope." I am not optimistic about what he will tell me. I have read too many stories here and on other forums about "scopes" and impingement surgery which do not work well, and THR is needed anyway. I don't want to put myself through that. However, I need to see Dr. Sampson to get his perspective, because he is one of the best scope surgeons in the country and I owe it to myself to see what he has to say. So if he tells me that I should go with THR, then that issue will be put to bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.