BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Newbie Hello!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by HollyM, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HollyM

HollyM Junior Member

Hello everyone.

I wrote this really cool intro letter a few days ago amidst all the issues with the servers and it has gotten "lost"...so I will write again - but a shorter version!!!

I'm 49, and will be having a left TKR on May 31st. I needed to wait until the tail end of our school year here in Minnesota - so as to not disrupt my classroom too much! I'm a special education para at our middle school and "change" isn't always a good thing with my students!! So, I'm busy WAITING!!! Ugh...it's hard to wait, but does give me a chance to get a few projects done around the house!

I'm married to a great guy named Marv, and have a beautiful daughter named Paige who is 12 and in the 7th. grade. I am blessed to have a wonderful life full of camping, fishing, reading, snowmobiling, biking and gardening. We live in a smaller community and LOVE it! My knees are creating problems for me in this lifestyle that we have - so it's time to become the "bionic woman"!s

I'm so glad to have found this site. I've been reading everything I can! What a blessing it is - and what a blessing that you all are willing to share your experiences and support.

I'm looking forward to my surgery - yes, a bit scared, but feel positive that I'm making the right move. Hopefully all will go well, and I'll be doing my other knee next summer. Yep - both have to go! Had a patella shift done about 15 years ago, so they didn't want to do both at the same time. The right leg is going to be kind of tricky with the screws in there. So we'll wait with that one. Give the first one plenty of time to heal!!

I do have a question-is there someplace on the site that there is a link to blogs of peoples experiences? I know that there are individual posts of pre/post surgery experiences with photos, etc. but thought that perhaps there was one general site for them. If so, could you point me in the right direction???

I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you!

Holly:flowerysmile:
  2. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    Welcome to the fourm---I am very glad that you have found our family---I am also a teacher and there are quite a few teachers on the forum, too. I am in my 35th year and am the school district's Language Arts Dept. Chair.

Waiting is indeed the hardest part, i believe, but you will be able to certainly enjoy next school year!

i am sorry about your earlier intro letter getting lost---but I am glad that you came back. I had a BTKR back in November of '07, and I have been doing great ever since---recovery can be longer than you would like, but it is really, really worth it!

Here are some articles from the forum library that may be of big help to you:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Ask any question that you have---you will get the straight answers here. We will be with you through everything and through recovery, too!
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, Holly....thanks for being patient with our current system problems!

I'm glad you posted again to tell us a bit about yourself. I know it seems like a long time until your surgery, but May will be here before you know it.

The best way to read "blogs" about the recovery experiences of other members is to go to the knee recovery forum (click on the knee tab at the top of the page) and check out individual threads. We have asked that our members keep all their questions, concerns and updates in a single recovery thread so folks like you can come along and read a continuous story. Happy reading and post if you have any questions you'd like answered.
  4. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

Welcome!
    I'm also a teacher (sped case manager) but I teach at a year round school so ended up having to take leave for both my TKR.
  5. HollyM

HollyM Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome! I've got lots of "reading" to do here on this website and I'm certain that it'll bring up lots of questions for me!
  6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

We're ready....fire away with questions or concerns!!!:thumb:
  7. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Holly...welcome to BoneSmart!!! You are right, this is an amazing site. There is so much information here...both written and in the experiences of each member. This group of BoneSmarties really care about each other and will see you through your upcoming surgeries. It is really important that you feel free to ask ANY question. Nothing is to minor. :friends:
  8. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Holly welcome to BoneSmart
    Well my diary is linked from my sig, see below.

The 'knee recovery' area contains many diaries, and the library also has links to many of them.
  9. HollyM

HollyM Junior Member

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the info! I'll take a peek later today!

~Holly
  10. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Holly

I wrote a reply to your original post but like yours it's vanished!!! So I will try again :rolleyespink:

Welcome to the forum and you will be so pleased to have found us - we are a friendly bunch that love to help and pass on our wisdom :wink1:

We have a few similarities - we are the same age, both have had patella shifts, both active and outdoorsy! I was like you before the surgery - excited to be going through with it but scared of the unknown. I can tell you that I am so pleased I have had it done and can tell it is a success. My recovery has been very straightforward and uneventful - just the sort of recovery I prayed for!! Take a peek at my recovery thread and all will be revealed!

Before my op I made a point of following people that were having straightforward recoveries and it really helped me with building confidence. There are plenty of us that have been fortunate enough to have had easy recoveries and I do feel for the folks that have struggled.

I wish you all the best and if you have any questions or worries feel free to ask away and we shall do our best to help.
  11. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good plan to wait for the end of school. It won't be too long now...
  12. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    yoohoo! [​IMG] Welcome to BoneSmart. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said so - see you around!
  13. LindaP

LindaP Junior Member

Hi Holly

Welcome to the forum and good luck for your upcoming surgery. It will make such a difference to regaining your life back, this forum is fabulous, like one big family and all so supportive.
  14. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Hi Holly,

Welcome to BS! I too have quite a wait, June 1st BTKR, however I am trying to keep busy by doing exercises to strenghten my hamstring and other leg muscles, so it will help in my recovery. You and I, along several other Bone Smarties, will be recovering at the same time so we can all keep a watch on each other.

Josephine, Jamie and many others will be here to answer our many question as we go through the process. Thank god for this site! What a brilliant idea to start this forum! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! I have learned so much from this forum that I could have never imagined I could get this much useful information in one place.

I wish you the best in your recovery and beyond!

Best regards,
    Jacky
  15. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Jacky-

I found attitude is everything going into this surgery. In my opinion, yours is outstanding! June will be here before we know it and we'll all be following your recovery story.

This site is the bomb! :thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sheryl7

sheryl7 Graduate

Good Luck Holly and Jacky on your upcoming surgeries, be sure to keep us posted on your recoveries:thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Holly,
    I'm a newbie, too. I look forward to following your surgery adventure.
  18. newnee

newnee Graduate

Hi Holly Jackie and Nyland Welcome to BoneSmart we are all here for you feel free to come here anytime with any questions you have
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.