BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[THR] New lease on life

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by dianemarie, May 19, 2011.

1. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

United States United States
    Thanks, Judy and I did nap today and it was wonderful!

Thanks Jo, for posting your caring thoughts, mean a lot.

Sis and Tash, always good to hear from you.

Today I felt fine! I did take some tylenol because I went to chiropractor, bank, lunch, out for ice cream and puttered around the house a lot. One of my biggest fears put to rest! On to PT in the morning. And only onward from here. I am almost elated that I got through this. Life is good and new hips are awesome!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Dianemarie, I'm so glad the fall didn't cause any apparent damage. Prior to having a THR, any time I fell, it was mostly my pride that was injured. Post-THR.....falling is right up there among my greatest fears. It's actually kind of reassuring to know a hippie can fall and it's not catastrophic. In a way, you've done a public service for all of us. :)

But no more!! Be careful, please!

Sharon
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Dearest Diane, sorry I'm super duper late on wishing you a Happy Birthday! Wishing you lots of good health, and a fabulous new birthday year filled with love, hugs and tons of good things!! xxooxx
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

Sharon,

Not planning any more falls, for sure! It is wonderful that I recovered so quickly and I fell hard! A little extra padding didn't hurt at all either LOL. But seriously, I always thought if I fell I would dislocate and now I can definitely move forward from that fear. If other hippies can let go their fear from my fall it was all worth it. You are a dear.

Sarah,

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You are sweet to think of me. Hope you and Miles are doing well in all of your new endeavors!
  5. Suki

Suki Senior

Dianemarie

I am so glad you had no damage from the fall, though I can imagine how scared you must have been. I had my first THR in the winter of 1999, and on my first solo outing I returned to my car across an icy parking lot. So far so good. Unfortunately, as I opened the door of the car(SUV), my feet slid out from under me and I ended up partially underneath my vehicle! I couldn't get myself back up. My feet continued to slide each time I tried. I must have looked like a tortoise on its back, little stubby arms and legs waving helplessly in the air....of course i was bundled up in a down coat, over a wool sweater...you get the idea. Thankfully a very kind gentleman came to my rescue and didn't laugh at me ( at least not while I could see him, though I imagined he went back to his car and giggled until tears. Thank God I never saw him again). Nothing more than my pride and confidence was hurt. So my first post THR fall also had a happy ending.

Try and keep on your feet...no more falls, ok?

All the best
    Suki
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

Suki, It was scary, heart was pounding for about 5 minutes. I'm not planning any more of that! After hearing your fall story I'm beginning to believe these wonderful new hips are stronger than ever! And we are stronger than we think also!

I went to PT yesterday. Exercised a tiny bit less than normal and took tylenol before I went. Great news on the other side...I really didn't need the tylenol and no problems from PT so Friday will be back to my full on course of recovery. So happy!
  7. Anniepops

Anniepops Post-Grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Diane, I'm just doing some catching up. So sorry to hear about your fall, I can imagine how scary and painful that must have been for you. I guess for all us hippies it is our biggest fear, I know I am still concerned about tripping as I am a bit of a 'hurryer' and I need to tell myself to slow down....'less haste more speed' is my motto to keep myself from tripping over my own feet.

It's great to hear that there seems to be no lasting damage to you new hip, hope the bruised bottom is getting better now too.

Hope Friday PT goes very well

Take care

Ann
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

Thanks Ann! I have been making a concerted effort to make all of my movements more "natural" even if it means going slowly. I know in time the pace will pick up. Right now, slow and steady wins the race!
  9. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Hi Sis, great to hear that you are taking the 'slow and steady' recovery after your tumble. sending much love and hugs :)
  10. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

diane, Good to see that you are going slow and gentle. I need to do more of that. I overdid it now trying to fix the problem, not bad but it what it is. Do take care and have a good rest of the month. :puppysmooze: Tashia:bicycle1:
  11. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi Sis, dianemarie;

Just dropped by to say a big HELLO and send you lots of love and hugs xoxoxox
  12. VThereandnow

VThereandnow Graduate

Wow, catching up on you and I see you survived a scary fall. Glad you were ok and are now back to your full PT. Is everything still going well at PT? Do you feel it is helping you? ...and you are sooo right, slow and steady wins the race , Cathy
  13. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

Hi Diane,

Just stopping by to say hello and hoping that you are doing well as we roll through the summer months. Still working at PT or taking a break for a bit?

Take care,
    Cardie:flwrysmile:
  14. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello, Poppet, Tashia, Cathy and Cardie, Suki, Ann, Sharon and Sarah! Time for an update. I am still going to PT twice a week and getting stronger and stronger. Walking at home without the cane around the house and the limp is finally getting weaker.
    Been busy with life and that is good! I have some feeling back from the nerve damage. Can now feel the entire bottom of my foot and half way down my calf and some feeling is back to the inside of my calf! Feels so good to feel some "normalcy" again in that leg.

Saw OS today and had x-ray...no issues whatsoever from fall! Don't need to return for 6 months. Then will x-ray both hips and go from there maybe a year out. Going to visit my daughter next week. First trip I have made since last August and it will be nice to be out from these 4 walls and have a change of pace and scenery. It's about 2hr. 15 minutes on the thruway, lots of rest stops so I know I will be fine.

Sharon, love your idea for the 5 year plan. Think I'll work on one.

Life is good, hips are great.
  15. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi Sis,

So pleased to hear that you have had a good report from your OS, with no issues from the fall... great news and very reassuring..

That will be fantastic to make that first trip to see your daughter - another milestone achieved. :)

xoxoxox
  16. Suki

Suki Senior

Diane

So just when I am ready to finally throw in the towel and have a HUGE pity party for myself, I read your post. You sound great. It gives me hope. My hip is wonderful, my back not so much...but tomorrow, things can change. So glad you are doing well.

Hugs
    Suki
  17. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Diane, Isn't it great to find out that our new joints are tuff. What scared me was I was at the airport and meet a woman who had fallen and now could hardle bend her new knee. Then I fell not to late after that. All is well and it was quite some time ago but we still carry the fear. I think mine will be for life. The other day got to do errands in a truck. It was hard to get into and my hip has been tender but I think it will be ok if I don't do something so dum again. I have come to conclusion that recover is like life, Has ups and downs and when we have the ups we are to enjoy it all we can. Do take care and have a good weekend. :puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1:
  18. Anniepops

Anniepops Post-Grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Diane, great report, it's fab to hear things are going so well for you, pleased the xray results reassured you about your fall

Hope you have the most wonderful visit to your daughter. Have fun.

Take care

Ann
  19. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

Hi Diane,

What wonderful news that you are having some sensations in your foot and calf again!! That is marvelous, you must be thrilled!!!!:dancy:

Have a great time with your daughter next week and I hope that the car ride is easier than you are expecting. You are right, it is always nice to have a change of scenery :)

Take care,
    Cardie
  20. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hey Sis, do hope you are having a wonderful visit with your daughter, will be waiting for an update with all the gos when you get back xoxoxox