BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

[TKR] New Knee for me!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by LB Cruiser, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LB Cruiser

LB Cruiser New Member

I have received my new left knee and understand I need to start a new post for the recovery area. Had surgery Mon 2/13/12, came home on Thurs eve. It haas been 2 weeks and I'm off the pain meds but have lots of stiffness. Trying to get well as quickly as possible. Bending is at approx 90 degrees. Still need walker to feel secure.
    Laura
  2. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Wow, it sounds like you are doing great at 2 weeks, but I think it's a bit early to be off the pain meds. I took them for 5 months, till I finished PT. Stiffness=pain in the TKR world. You know you can't rush recovery, your knee leads the way. Recovery from a TKR is not like recovery from any other knee surgery. If you push too hard, too soon, then you will have a setback. Please remember, no pain=MORE gain. I hope you are resting, icing, and elevating your leg.
  3. Larosser

Larosser Member

Welcome, LB! Hope your recovery goes smoothly. Are you having in home PT now? I agree with Jerseychick - don't throw away your pain meds yet, you may want them as PT ramps up. Best of luck!

La
  4. sandyk

sandyk Member

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum - i wouldn't be too eager at getting off the pain meds - i am at six weeks and still taking them on a regular basis - and with regards to recovering quick - DO NOT TRY to rush things - remember it took a while for your knee to need replacing and recovery is not done over night - do you know what it entailed during the op ???? your knee has been cut apart both on the outside and the inside your bones have been sawn - hammered and drilled - bent several times into positions that it has not been in for ages no doubt - the tissue inside your knee has been pushed - pulled and traumatised and needs time to recover - stiffness - swelling and pain are all normal recovery processes and if anyone tells you different they have not gone through knee replacement - please enjoy your recovery and take care - don't rush it as you may cause more damage than you had before the operation.

take care and good luck xx
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Laura, Sandy has nailed it. Take it easy, please.
  6. acdoozie

acdoozie Junior Member

HI Laura, I agree with all of the above, too early to quit pain meds. Anything you push yourself to do at this point will only set you back since you are a slave to your knee for the next several months. Do take care and don't overdo or your knee will get mad at you :tantrum2:
  7. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

8. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Laura

Welcome to the post op side :thumb: You sound as if you are doing very well but I have to agree with everyone that at 2 weeks you should still be on all your medication. It's a long road with this recovery so take it easy :thumb:
  9. LB Cruiser

LB Cruiser New Member

Thanks to all for the insight on this. I go to PT twice per week. Yesterday was my 2nd visit tomorrow will be the 3rd. They took the walker and I am using a cane to walk. I stop taking the pain meds because I was not feeling much pain and the meds were not changing anything. So I found more relief from Tylenol Arthritis than from the Oxycodone .5mg. I started taking Ibuprofen along with ice, this am and it is helping with the swelling. Agian THANK YOU all for your great support.
  10. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

Oh well, that's okay, though you might want to read that article on pain management very carefully as pain comes in many forms that you might be misreading. Not saying you are but you should check it out.

But take a look at this as well Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lilly

Lilly Junior Member

Yes, Welcome to this great site! I have to tell you that everything everyone has said is exactly right. I am glad you are not just "cold turkey" with your pain meds. I am about 9 weeks out and still take my hydrocodone a couple times a day, especially before exercises. Makes things go much smoother. Good luck on your healing journey. You have found a good site for support and information.:thumb:
    Lilly
    RTKR
    Jan.9, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. tyncam

tyncam Member

Welcome and best of luck as you continue to progress through your recovery. Many of the forum members have shared similar experiences and are available to offer guidance and support.
  13. lisabon

lisabon Member

Heck, I'm 5 months post-op from a bilateral TKR and I STILL pop a percocet or vicodin on days when I feel particularly sore. And I'm finding I still need to at least take 1000mg of tylenol once or twice a day. Granted, a bilateral is twice the fun, twice the pain, twice the recovery (for the most part) but I learned very early on that there's nothing wrong with taking pain meds when you are having, well, PAIN.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LB Cruiser

LB Cruiser New Member

Guess my last post got lost with the rest. Oh well, it happens. Thanked all for the great information and support!
    I was humbled by all of the posts about pain meds so I started them again. 5 weeks now-Only on 3/20/12 my Dr said to ween myself off, so I did. I have a date for the right knee replacement on April 2, 2012 and then I will start pain meds again!
    I have back up if needed.
  15. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Has your doc had a tkr? I had both of mine replaced one week apart. Of the 20 or so docs, nurses, residents and pt people i have dealt with not one has had a joint replaced. Take the meds as long as YOU think you need them to manage your pain. I've become a little radical because these medical types are fairly clueless where the recovery for joint replacement is concerned. Be your own best advocate because the docs and the insurance companies are not very helpful. Good luck! :yay:
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Roy Gardiner

Yes, but it's not always that way. I'm 3 months and don't take anything, haven't for ages.
    Don't you mean 'half the recovery'? Both happening at the same time, not one after another?

But I absolutely agree, take pain drugs when needed.
    One comes off pain drugs simply by forgetting to take them, easy-peasy no problem :th_heehee:
  17. LB Cruiser

LB Cruiser New Member

:dancy:Thankfully I am in fairly good shape for an old lady! You are totally correct about the medical staff. Although I believe I have a good surgeon, sometimes they finish the job when the last stitch is done and move on to the next! My angels are the Physical Therapy staff! Without them I would not have progressed at such a steady pace. We hope on Monday the right knee will recover as quickly!
    Laura
  18. LB Cruiser

LB Cruiser New Member

I have read so many articles that are in your Library and elsewhere in this site. They all help so much!
    I am at 7 weeks since my LTKR. I have no severe pain. When pain is minimal the 1x per day 1300mg Tylenol Arthritis time release works as needed.
    The left knee is progressing quite nicely. I continue to do the physical therapy exercises daily which is why I believe it is coming along so well. Of course I still need to ice and elevate after going through the exercises!
    I would like to pass on what really helped with my surgery and recovery process was the Pre- Surgery Physical Therapy exercises. They are helping so much in the post op recovery.
    Surgery for Right TKR tomorrow.
    ( will I need to start a new thread?)
  19. barbara heider

barbara heider New Member

How long were you in the hospital and did you go to rehab after? I'm having both knees replaced tomorrow. It's hard to try and imagine what it feels like.
  20. Roy Gardiner

To start with it's utterly alien.

Then you notice that standing is pain free; getting to standing is another matter, and relieving the pain of that is what recovery is all about.

You will feel great on the first day, post surgery. The next week is (or was for me) the worst. After that, you're listening to your body and recovering.

Recovery : rest, relax, ice, elevate and go with the flow -- don't fight your new knees, let them set the recovery pace.

Some wish it never happened, for a while. Almost everyone gets over that very fast indeed. Pain-free is wonderful.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.