BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

New knee at last....

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mazz, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazz

Mazz New Member

New knee last Thursday evening. Dreading it but after spinal block and sedation woke up on operating table feeling fine. Starving hungry and thirsty and couldn't wait for my soup and sandwiches. Got up later for the bathroom and didn't have a lot of sleep. More uncomfortable than painful.

Up in the morning feeling fine and by one pm I was walking along the corridor on my new knee much to my surprise and to the friend who had come to see me.

Another unsettled night, mostly because I sleep on my stomach and couldn't get comfortable. Up Saturday morning and after showered and dressed did two flights of stairs. Met consultant half way up who thought that I was doing so well I could go home. Friends came to visit me in afternoon as husband was playing in golf competition and was coming in evening. They ended up taking me home which was a bit of a surprise for him.

Much better night's sleep in own bed. Only woke a couple of times and then applying the ice. Doing physio and then lots of elevation and ice; love ice it feels so nice. All in all not as bad as I had imagined long way to go but good beginning. Come on musketeers!!!!! :loll:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to the far side! Sounds like you're doing great.

3. megbabyrn

megbabyrn Senior

United States United States
    Welcome, sounds good so far!!

4. Larosser

Larosser Member

Welcome and congrats! Sounds like you're doing great so far. Just don't get too frisky too soon! :biggrin:

Best
    La

5. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

another member to the bright side :wink1:

6. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

7. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Welcome to the other side of life---the better, newer part of you that will allow you to really enjoy your life now!

8. helix-2000

helix-2000 Member

Sound like you are doing great. Welcome to the new side of life.

9. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Welcome to this side. Do take care and don't overdue it. Do keep us posted on how you are doing. :doggieshmooze:Tashi:loll:

10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You are doing well!!! Just don't get carried away and do too much too soon. It's easy to have that happen when you get off to such a good start. Just remember that your body is healing inside and will be for a while. You have just had a very major surgical procedure that will have an effect on your whole body for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

12. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

Wow, sounds like you're doing wonderfully well, Mazz, with a positive attitude. Keep us updated.

Kathy
    x

13. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Mazz

Welcome to the other side and congratulations on your new knee!! You sound as if you are doing really well and have a great attitude for this recovery. Remember to take it very easy form the next couple of weeks - it will pay off if you do :wink1: Good wishes to you and keep us posted.

14. Mazz

Mazz New Member

I have been very good today making the most of a lie in and breakfast in bed.Lots of bruising coming out now and leg uncomfortable in the night.Have had visitors today bringing dinners most appreciated by me and also husband.Letting them all help themselves to tea and coffee and giving them the occasional chore.
    Read lots about taking it easy so thats just what Ive been doing.Nice to hear from you dont feel quite so alone.....:rolleyespink:

15. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Hey there! How nice to have friends and family pitching in. The first week is almost a honeymoon. I think as the days go by you begin to experience the roller coaster ride of recovery. I found I feel most hopeful between 5 and 8pm, no idea why. I sleep between 3-6, it seems to be nap time. From 9:30-11pm at night I tend to struggle with pain even when medicated my legs are giving me a fit. Between 11-12 they settle down and the pain meds do their job. I watch tv on my iPad and read until about 2am every night, this is highly unusual for me, but since the surgery it's my routine. Then I sleep really well for about 4 -5 hours. Therapy is the same way, lately, it's been very good but I have those days where I feel I am struggling just to walk to the therapy table, no good reason, just the way I feel. One minute full of energy, next minute ready to pass out. Go with the flow, expect nothing, do what you can and sleep as much as possible. It really does help improve your outlook, motivation and ability to participate as the days go by and they do seem to go by fast. Best of luck!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Bruising is quite normal. Don't let it worry you. But look in here - there is a neat tip about how to take the heat and the burn of of bruising Bruising after surgery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.