New hippie lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakviewneighbor

Country
United States United States
Hi folks, Thank you for the nice welcome.

It is beginning to feel real. A case manager from the insurance company called. She said she would be there to assist me. Joint class is on Tuesday and then the test after.

The right hip is gone, avn end stage, degenative arthritis and osteposis.:cry4: I am bone on bone and in pain. You would think I would be ready to end this nightmare, but I want to run the other way. Okay enough of that pity party.

I should be counting my blessing of getting a date without much wait time.
:dancy:

Re: New

Welcome and I hope you get your date very soon :)

Re: New

I understand your apprehension--It's a big surgery and a big recovery--not to be taken lightly. That said ... IT IS SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Keep thinking about the positives ...

Dorothy

Hello Oakview and welcome to BoneSmart,

Hang in there it gets easier. The initial news and thoughts about having the hip replaced is daunting, emotional and scary. I'm glad you joined Bonesmart Personally i found great comfort knowing I wasn't alone and that there were many, many others dealing with this, all ages too. We are here for you, ask questions and read lots.

Warm wishes,

Sarah

Hi Oakview and welcome,
You sound very normal. I don't think it matters what your condition and how well the medical team have prepared you, pre operation anxiety is the natural order. I discovered this site just prior to my hip replacement and it was great timing. There is so much information and it is great to hear from people who have been through it all and provide reassurance.

You will be very happy with your new hip and new/old life! Good luck and ask any and all questions.

Don

Hi Oakview, I was at the same stage pre-op and had to wait 5 months for surgery. It's certainly no fun! Do spend some time reading here. Then come back and ask all your questions or share your concerns. We do understand and we're here to help!

Welcome aboard! You have come the right place. This place is very comfortable and easy to navigate. Ask ask ask. We all b glad to help...

Hi Oakview

You are in good hands here - I did not find this forum until after my op and wish I had, it would have aswered many of my pre-op concerns.

Read and ask questions.

Cheers

Clive

Hello Hippie Lady
As someone who went through it (surgery on 3/26/12) I can tell you that it is worth it and that you will do well.
My personal experience in the two and and a half weeks since my surgey is that it has given me a new lease on life and a new perspective.
Before my RTHR I read this mantra on these boards and it really helped me:
You will go to sleep.
You will wake up.
It will be all over.

God bless you and please keep us posted.
Sincerely
"Zorro"

Hi Oakview,

I found this forum shortly after diagnosis and it's been a lifesaver! I highly recommend you read the articles Josephine has pointed out in the library. They're full of helpful info. As well, everyone here is very supportive and knows exactly what you're going through. I was and continue to be very emotional about this whole thing. Though I want the pain to end, I am frightened as well. From everything I've learned on this forum, that's completely natural. One day I'm crying, the next I'm relieved that surgery will fix it. The info. I've learned on this forum in addition to the info. provided by my surgeon is allaying my fears a bit. I feel better prepared for my upcoming surgery and believe I'll be able to make sound decisions about my care.

Nice to meet you and best wishes as you prep for your upcoming surgery! I go to hip class this week, too! Just think, we'll soon be feeling so much better. An acquaintance told me I'll feel 20 years younger post-surgery...wooohooo! That's better than botox! LOL!

Hello Neighbor

Welcome to BS. You have come to the best place on earth beside Disneyland.

This is a very scary time and the only thing I can tell you is you will be fine.

Now is the time to inform yourself about what is coming your direction. Prepare...prepare...prepare. And not just getting all the "stuff" together for your surgery like the grabbers and ice bags but getting familiar with the library. There is lots of info there for you but also pick a person from the recovery side of things and read their recovery story. You will see the whole scope of what you might go through. For example the scared feelings :scare: and the happy times :happy dance:and the I've taken drugs and now I feel silly times. :hapydancsmil:

There is nothing you will go through in pre surgery or POP (post op) that we cannot help you with. We are all over the world so if you are up at 2:00 am and need a friend :console:there will be someone around. All you need to do is ask....

Take care

Welcome!!

Like everyone else said you are perfectly normal! I experienced a lot of the grieving steps pre op-anger,denial,depression,anxiety, then some acceptance and even a little bit of hope.

I got quite a few 2nd opinions and even sent my xrays to a hip preservationist-who told me my AVN/OA was beyond any other measures than a THR. I think that was what helped me accept that a THR was the only way to get my life back.

We cant turn back the clocks and change why things happened the way it did to cause needing a THR but we can move on knowing that a THR will give you YOUR LIFE BACK!!

I am thankful everyday for both my shiny new hips!!!

Hi Oakview. Just chiming in with everyone to say welcome. Settle in, relax, and enjoy the company. By the time your date comes, you may still be apprehensive about the surgery itself, but you'll be eager to "cross over" to the recovery section of the forum and start the healing.

I put off surgery for a good five years. Like a lot of us, when it's all over, I wondered why on earth I waited so long to feel better.

Looking forward to hearing your story, and to see you feel better too.

Sharon

You all have been so super. :friends: I was pretty down the last few days, but I think I am pulling myself together. I know I can't live with the hip the way it is, so it is onto acceptance for a better life. :yay: :yahoo::dancy:

I located an anterior lateral hip replacement online and watched it. Only one online for that type I found, the rest are direct anterior. Thanks Josephine for point out the difference in one of your posts. :thumb: Scar will be bigger than a mini, but that's okay.

I will be having to change my diet for the blood thinner. Mine is way too rich in K. I would appreciate any suggestions on low K foods or dishes you might share.

Pat

Welcome to Bonesmart Pat.

In the Library there is a very good read discussing nutrition, in fact that is what it is called.. You may find that helps you.. Good luck :)

Saw the OS today for the pre-op approval. Monday is a go. :thumb: My to do list is getting smaller. Busy - busy - busy :hysterical: Six days and count down is going fast. Gave my four legged kids their flea bath. :doggieshmooze: Laundry is all done and pantry is well stocked. Rugs are retired to the basement and house is walker friendly. Grab bars and high rise toilet seat are now in place.

Welcome Oakviewneighbor! It sounds like we'll be chatting on the recovery side very soon!!! Best of luck to you.

Congratulations on your date Pat,

Looking forward to seeing you on the other side very soon!

All the best,

Sarah

Tick-tock the clock is winding down - 60 more hours. The hospital called and my time was moved up to 8:30 a.m. Monday. :yahoo: Looks like pt the first day. :dancy:

The hospital bed was delivered and set up.

Got a nice cozy blanket and pillow stuff in my over night bag. :yes 4:
Going to miss my :bathtub: :cry4:

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562