BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

[THR] New hippie lady is home

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Oakviewneighbor, May 12, 2012.

1. Oakviewneighbor

Oakviewneighbor Junior Member

United States United States
    Hi Sandy and Cardie,

Yes my recovery is coming along nicely. :egypdance:I walk 2 plus miles daily and am enjoying pain free walks for the first time in years. I still need the cane outside, but am weaning myself off it in the house. I ride the stationary bike for 10 minutes also. I would love to take my old bike for a spin, but know that it is not a wise choice at this time as balance could an issue. Not going to chance it, with only 4 more weeks on precautions. I still need to work on the steps. :umm:

Well I have set a new goal as the kids want me to watch the new little one while they are at work. :happydance:Little Charles was born June 28 th. I spent this afternoon enjoying the little guy. :angel: Grandma has got six weeks to get ready. :spin:

Boy time has flown since the surgery. Hard to believe it has been 8 weeks. The recovery the first 5 weeks was rather slow and now it seems to be in fast mod. That step counter sure has come in handy in keeping me moving forward. On days where I just wanted to sit on my butt, it has kept me motivated. I still need one Hydrocodone and would like to be off that soon.

Pat
  2. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

Hi Pat,

What a wonderful update, you are doing great!!! :thumb:

You'll get the steps again, I was a bit further out than you are when I had to spend a little time to re-train myself on them.

Congratulations on Baby Charles, he will be a whole new level of "therapy" for you :) and fortunately it'll be a while before you have to chase him around the house.

Nice that you have a step-counter to help with your motivation, but do remember that rest is an important part of your recovery as well. It's o.k. to have a day-off, sometimes just take the step-counter off and relax for a bit, you will continue to move forward.

Take care,
    Cardie
  3. Oakviewneighbor

Hi Cardie,

I only slacked off for a few days on the exercises about a month back when I was having a lot of pain. I have a whole bunch that I do daily and more have been added in the last week. I am back using the exercise step. :happydance:
    I did ten reps with the armless chair.:dancy: It was hard to do but with practice it will improve. I also made some progress on stairs with 3 whole flights done the correct way today.

All in all I can't complain, I am making steady progress. :egypdance: Doing PT before the surgery has really paid off.

Hope this heatwave ends soon. Walks in 90 plus degrees is not my cup of tea. :thud:

Pat
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oakviewneighbor

Hi,
    Another month has gone by, hard to believe. I am back to riding the old bike again. :happydance:The shower chair has been retired and long soaks in the tub are a welcome treat at the end of the day. Still working on my gait. Not ready to retire the cane yet. PT started me on new exercises to wake up the butt muscles more this week. :groan:They seem to be helping a lot. :yahoo:
    Pat
  5. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Hi Pat. You are well-launched on recovery. Aren't those sleepy butt muscles stubborn!! Hope your PT gets them wide awake...it won't be long before the cane is history too. Good to hear from you.

Sharon
  6. forbesy

forbesy Sr Bonesmartie

Hi Pat everything seems to be tickity boo, great when you have that first bath, can't wait for mines but will put up with the showers until It's time. Terrific feeling as well when you can go these walks without any pain :thumb:

Billy
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ohaya

ohaya Senior

Billy,

"tickity boo" :)?

Jim
  8. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

Hi Pat,
    Awesome report, keep working on those gluteus muscles!!!

I like "tickity boo", it sounds quite bouncy and cheerful:)

Take care,
    Cardie
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oakviewneighbor

Finished up my last session with the PT today. Hard to believe how far I have come. :bicycle1:

Sharon, glad to see your recovery is going well. Love your new photo :flwrysmile:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pat you are real poster girl for THR recovery! Well done! Long may it continue!
  11. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Thanks Pat. Got a haircut yesterday. Have to take advantage of a good hair day. :)
  12. debkakes

debkakes Senior

Congrats on biking and bathing! It sounds like everything is going swimmingly, and soon you will be tossing away that cane (that is my wish for myself as well)!
  13. Oakviewneighbor

Jaycey, recovery takes on a new importance with the new little guy. I have a long way to go still before I can manage to do steps safely while carrying him. Plenty of exercises to do. Figure keeping it slow and steady will get me there the soonest. :happydance:

Deb don't think I will toss the old cane after I am done with it. The other hip has arthritis. :thud:

Pat
  14. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Great to hear from you Pat and such a positive update - good for you :)
  15. Oakviewneighbor

Hi Sandy, Hope you are doing well. Haven't posted for a bit as I have been tired out by grand baby most nights. Its a good tire. :happydance: Pat
  16. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Aaaw! Nice! Pleased you are having fun :)
  17. Oakviewneighbor

Week 19 and things are going well. :happydance: I got a used tread mill for a whole $12.00 and am putting to good use with this rainy weather. Retired the old high rise toilet seat. Now that took some getting use. :shocked: Manage the steps carrying the grand baby now and we make it to the park and back, a few times a week with the stroller. :egypdance:
  18. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Fantastic Pat, I am so pleased for you that you get to enjoy the grand babies :)

What a bargain - $12 for a treadmill, that will keep you fit!

Talking about raised toilet seats... and the other kind! We dropped in to a country cafe and just had to spend a penny.. They had the lowest toilet I have ever seen.. this was seriously low! I just don't like them that low anymore, so just copied the guys and did it standing up, left the seat up for SO who was next to go in... Hehehe!
  19. Oakviewneighbor

Where has the time gone? Nearly seven months now and life is grand. :yahoo:Last year I settled for a small table tree and a few decorations. This year we are totally decking the halls :yes!: Hard to believe how far I have come and the things I now can do. My limp has been retired and a new proper gait is now the norm. :spin: The tilt of my pelvis now straighten. Getting off the floor is a breeze. No more :groan: :gaah: No more letting:bow: pain dictate my life. :cocktail: What hip?:whistle:

Pat
  20. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi Pat,

Great to hear that you are doing so well, I am so pleased for you.

Love your last comment - 'What hip' fantastic, you have joined the club of the forgotten hip.

Sounds like Xmas is going to be grand this year!

Don't be a stranger now, drop by when you have time and update us :)