New Hip new start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop06

Country
Canada Canada
well tomorrow morning Nov 26 at 9:45 am THR on my left hip...yeh. I have three very good friends who have gone through this procedure and have provided not only advice and support but true friendship. Even with all that support I'm still nervous, anxious and afraid. Nevertheless I'm ready to be pain free and to start the recovery process!

Hi @Coop06, sounds like you're all set. One more sleep and the pain goes away. You're already half way there with the support of your good friends. :friends: Pop back in and let us know how it went. We are here to support you. :wave:

Same for me @Coop06 (except I'll be a bit ahead of you due to time differences) oh and I'm having the other side done. Still waiting for the hospital to call and let me know what time they want to admit me. I'm getting ants in my pants now waiting for the phone to ring...sitting at work exclaiming "Ring Dammit!" approximately every 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Hope it all goes like a dream and I'll see you on the other side :wave:

Thank you...it is amazing how the mind wanders, the rational side knows all the 'good stories' however every now and then moves to fear. I think besides the actual surgery my biggest concern is the recovery. Having been and hopefully to continue being an athlete, not doing workouts and playing sports for a few months seems like an eternity to me. I know short term pain for long term gain.

Will keep you posted on surgery and how I'm feeling tomorrow.

Thanks again for your thoughts it means a lot to me.

Mike

Good luck for your op..... And for a great recovery x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

the rational side knows all the 'good stories' however every now and then moves to fear
It sure does! But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them. I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.

You can make a start here
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Having been and hopefully to continue being an athlete, not doing workouts and playing sports for a few months seems like an eternity to me.
Almost forgot this little gem!

Just because you're an athlete and are used to doing hard workouts and all, do remember this - hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Wow you gals are awesome. Excellent thoughts, suggestions and ideas. The people here are incredible.

Yahoo a new bionic leg! Surgery went well now trying to get comfortable and get some rest. Talk to you tomorrow or then again maybe sometime after midnight!

Cheers
Mike ... A new 'hipster'

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Man I don't even know what day it is. My surgery is today 27th here - so I'm still waiting. Just in pre-op now in a gown with my butt hanging out (well practically) and ready to go. Just said goodbye to my son and now I wait.

Hope it all went well - you sound happy as a clam. If you want to chat any time by all means send me a private message :)

How do you do private messages? How are you doing? Tried standing but too soon and have had to bump up meds.
Cheers my friend.

Awesome! Yah waiting is a pain in the butt...you get over the modesty pretty quick, especially when you want your meds like 20 minutes ago. My brief experience tells me to ask for drugs sooner than later. If you are like me, being a crazy runner, we like to think we manage our pain...don't be shy and insist on them right away. It's 2:45 am here and time does go slooow!
Good luck and will talk to you after you become my sister hipster. By the way I got ceramic and polyurethane. No squeaking for this boy.
Hugs to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks