Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I've been walking over 4 miles at 15 min mile pace but so far I cannot run on my joint yet - just biding my time! Good luck next weekend!!!
xoxoxo,
Linda.

That is what I did Linda! I just went out and walked and fought off the temptation to break out running. That first 5K at 5.5 months post op, I wanted to run so bad but I just kept telling myself that NO it was not time. I must walk before I can run. I started walking about 9 weeks post op about 2 miles but only once a week and would do ROM and strengthening the rest of the time. After jogging on a treadmill to test the waters I went outside finally and did 3 miles alternating walking and running and then waited a couple of days to see if there were any ill effects and there was none. Eventually I would run more than I would walk. In my 5 mile race though in December I DID WALK down all of the downhills as downhill is not nice to anyones knees let alone ours.

By far my biggest set back was the two falls off of the bike with my TKR leg still clipped to the pedal and the twisting as I went down assaulted my soft tissues. I am so happy to hear that some of you are excited to read of my progress, but it is because I have read about others before me that have done well, and with their stories and my strong will I have been able to get to where I am today.

Six months ago, sometimes I felt like I didn't even want to get out of bed or get dressed, I figured what was the point, my life as I knew it was over, but that is because I was impatient. Please listen everyone when those before you tell you to slow down, because balance of rest, activity and patience will get you to where you want to be!!
:hysterical:

Bonnie, your posts are such an inspiration! I can't wait to hear from you after your run next weekend. Take photos if you can!!!

Bonnie, terrific story!!

Very encouraging and a tribute to patience in the face of a great challenge.

Good luck!

Dawn

Wonderful to read your news, Bonny - I'm amazed by people who run miles at the best of times, but with your new knee it is even more remarkable. Enjoy your 1/2 marathon and come back and tell us how it went.

Wonderful to read your news, Bonny - I'm amazed by people who run miles at the best of times, but with your new knee it is even more remarkable. Enjoy your 1/2 marathon and come back and tell us how it went.

Thank you Deeden, I surely will let you all know how it turns out. I am sure that I will be thinking of you all out there on the course with me being my virtual cheerleaders!

I have a special shirt to wear that reads Bionic Bonnie on the front with the oval that says TKR (just like the oval stickers that people put on their cars saying 26.2 or 13.1). On the back side of my shirt is the actual X-ray of my knee. Should make for a lot of good conversation along the way or at the very least motivate people to want to pass me!

:hysterical:

hah i like that !!! Good luck to you:thumb:

Congratulations Bonnie!
Best of luck to you!!
Kick some butt!
Sandy

Today will be my last visit with the PT to work on the soft tissue before my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Tomorrow I am working at the Houston Marathon Expo all day long and will be on my feet a lot! But once home Friday night it is up and off my feet than Saturday morning a visit to the beauty salon and some relax time!

Staying downtown Houston in a hotel over night on Saturday night so no worries about driving the 25 miles into downtown Sunday morning. I'm watching the weather closely trying to figure out if I need to wear running tights or shorts. My main concern is keeping my new new warm as it gets so stiff in the cold. Right now they are saying a low of 43 and a high of 66. If shorts is the case (I am leaning towards shorts) then I'll run in my Zensah compression knee sleeve. This is my most favorite weekend of the year, marathon weekend. I've been a part of it for 16 years now and sadly last year I was in so much pain, could hardly walk, wearing a leg brace that I am extra excited to participate this year again!!

I will check in as soon as I can after the race. If you'd like to say a little prayer for me I'd much appreciate it! :flowerysmile:

Bonnie,

You've got a prayer or 2 from me. Good luck for the weekend, can't wait til you can report back to us.

Bonnie, best wishes for you to really enjoy your run. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Good Luck, By the time you read this your run could already happen. I would love to hear about it. :doggieshmooze::yahoo::thumb:

Prayers and good wisher a comin' !!!
xoxoxo,
Linda

May the road be smooth before you and a constant wind at your back!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back