Needing encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betkita

I am having both knees replaced on Jan 5 2012, and I am terrified! My doctor told me to go off of my pain pills now so that when I have the surgery the pills will help most when I need them. In the meantime I am miserable! The pain is awful and I still have months to go. Any suggestions?

I'm glad you have a date now, Betkita. Please try not to worry about the surgery. You'll feel better if you spend some time here on BoneSmart reading in the Library (tab at the top of the page) and in the knee forums. You'll see that many folks have gone before you and they do just fine. You will too.

However....I do wonder about the wisdom of stopping all of your pain meds this soon. If you are hurting, I suggest you readdress that with your surgeon. There are plenty of options for pain management following surgery...there will be something that will work for you. I don't believe you need to suffer for two whole months!

What pain medication are you taking now?

I agree with Jamie, there is no reason for you to suffer now, while you wait for your surgery. Please talk with os about it again , make him understand how much you are suffering now. I wish you luck:thumb:

Hi Betkita, it does seem very odd to come off pain pills.

No reason to be terrified about the op. What worries you? Tell us and we'll try to help alleviate these worries. Reality is a LOT better than imagination:thumb:

:scratch: That's insane to make a person stop all pain meds for so long. I thought mostly they stopped them for about two weeks only. Is that not correct? Of course, in the UK they don't make us stop at all and in the letter advising about admission, even tell patients to take them but to tell the staff what we've taken.

Anyway, that comment about stopping them now so the post op meds will be more effective is rubbish. Total rubbish.

I agree with others, I as taking narcotic pain meds the 4/5 yrs prior to my TKRs
The Hospital just needed to know how much I was taking so they could best medicate me. I could not have imagined trying to get through the months/weeks/days before surgery with out good pain management.
Hang in there, ask more questions. Does your surgeon do a lot of BTKR? It is a big surgery and both your knees are bad now. I would talk to him again like others suggest. I think that it is reasonable to be on good pain management prior to your surgery, I can't think of why you would need to suffer.

:rolleyespink: It's crazy to stop your med so soon. You need them now more than ever! I would go right back to the surgeon and clarify how long just pre-op he wants you off meds. As Jo says, if indeed patients are require to go off it is usually only just before your op.

Please let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Betkita, It seems extreme to me to be off meds when obviously you need them, I agree with previous posts to ask your OS again about that.
Either way, best of luck to you. I hope and pray everything goes well for you.

Angela

Talk to your OS like everyone else says. You do not need to suffer! I have no idea why he thinks pain meds will not be as effective! If he cuts you off, have you tried Aleve? Are you on anything like Celebrex? I was taking Celebrex and Aleve before surgery and that worked for me. I was in a lot of pain, but the combination of the two took most of the pain away. (Along with knee braces) and a walker, I might add! :wink1:

Don't let your doctor push you around! It's your body! You know your pain levels and tolerances!

We care about you! Take care and keep posting!:friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back