My Story, BTKR 1/2/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing, that has me wondering - will I just go home from the hospital, after a few days after surgery?
Again, that depends on your OS's protocol. After a BTKR, most pateints go to a rehab floor/facility for a few days.

After my BTKR, I went for a bout a week---mine was a little longer than normal.

Since you will not have a non-surgical knee, the OT and the PT will help you with stairs, getting around, and such.

and I think that would really hurt my spirit....I guess this, is one thing I should talk with my OS this week?
I really did want to get home, but I realized that I needed some help learning to do things---and my time at the rehab facility really did help, too.

I would call your OS and see what he says about it---some will make that judgement after seeing how you do in the hospital.

@noc

I'm not sure what your healthcare options are, but for me, I will go home after a couple of days and will have in-home therapy for a few weeks until I am able to drive myself.

I went home on postop day 3. Since I have a 17 year old who home schools, my OS said I would be fine to go home. I had PT come to my house 3x a week for a month, then started outpatient PT. I was able to do all "activities of daily living" by myself when I came home, including showering in my tub/ shower combo. I will admit that I have a very independent spirit. I would talk to your OS about it. If you are willing, have help, and don't have post- surgical complications, he may allow it.

This week, I meet with my OS one more time, and also have my Primary Care Doctors appointment as well, for medical clearance for my pre-admin tests done last week..

One thing, that has me wondering - will I just go home from the hospital, after a few days after surgery?

I want to be home with my family ( wife, and kids ) - my house has a quest bedroom on the 1st floor, we have the "extended" toilet apparatus to make the toilet higher - I also have a temporary commode as well, we have two walkers ( 4 wheel, and no wheel ) - I believe that I am strong enough, and have the family ( my Dad, my Brother, and my in-laws) for support while home - I do not want to go to a rehab hospital, and I think that would really hurt my spirit....I guess this, is one thing I should talk with my OS this week?

Much Thanks~!

-chris
Chris ...with everything you and your family have been through this will be easier for you as you seem focused and positive....I wish you the best with your new knees and know that you will be doing things you would not think possible.......
Vincent

I didn't have bi-lateral but had each done separately. With my first knee I was anemic after surgery so they sent me to in-patient rehab. I was operated on on a Monday and discharged from rehab the following Wednesday, so I was bot home for9-10 days.

With my 2nd knee I was also operated on on a Monday and was sent home two days later. I had home healthcare, nurse, PT and OT visits for two weeks before starting out-patient PT.

Medical Clearance with my PCP today. I suppose this to go over the results from last weeks pre-admission testing?

Then, tomorrow - last visit with my OS, and also meet the PT people - have to start thinking of my question's to ask both of them, and also get my last prescript to last me to surgery on the 2nd, I noticed that in the morning's O have needed to take two (2) 10/325 just to get out of bed, due to all the work I have been doing at work to finish my projects and get things in order for my 12 week absence, + with all the Xmas stuff I have needed the increase in pain meds as well - I hope he can increase the quantity to 90, I hate asking , and feel like a "druggie" - with the all the craziness in the news, but I am in extreme pain.... Last few days, ( week ) - I have been using my neoprene wraps 's on my knee , cause they seemed to help take the "pressure" off a bit...But, really latelty it has felt like nails were being driven into both knee's....sorry to vent...respect -chris

Chris one month post op from a bilateral and my knees feel better than they have in years.....gone is the pain that brought stars and tears to my eyes,gone is the side to side rolling limp ,gone is the bend in one leg and the pain that gave my hip.....gone is the snapping and crackling with each painful step and replaced with an occasional gentle but not painful clunk........you will do great ....I left the hospital for home on day 3 post op and have never taken a pain pill since leaving the hospital......support system is important.....you will be a star .....

thanks Vin, I can NOT imagine the pain being gone from the arthritis - I so look forward to after surgery pain, then the way I feel right now - which is not very good~! You are definitely a inspiration, as ALSO everyone else on this tremendous forum, never meet so many nice people, whom I feel so at ease with...

You are ok too Chris for a Jersey Boy as long as you are not a Giants fan......go Iggles

@vinny , not a Giants fan ( though my Dad is, so I will take him to a game or two ) , but gulp a , a, a Jets Fan. lol..;)

Well, Primary Care Doctor Cleared me today for Surgery, that is a "check" off the list - had to do another EKG , cause she thought she saw something, and she saw the same thing in the one we did in the office -but, stated it was nothing that she was worried about -hmmm then why do it again, eh- she is a very nice Dr, so I trust her.

Next up Final meeting with OS tomorrow at 10:30, and then in the same building - PT meeting , should be a interesting morning.....

Hope all,. and everyone is well today..

respect,
-chris

ok, so now I get a email from my OS assistant stating I need to get a "clearance" from a pulmologist - that I havent seen on nearly 5-6 years, I had a 8mm nodule on my lung yrs ago, that was determined to be a scar from when I was young with pneumonia - and my PCP that I saw today - said nothing to me about it..

Then 10 minutes ago I get:

"I just received paperwork from Dr. Rossi stating that you need to followup with your pulmologist Dr. Friedman. Do you happen to have any contact information for this doctor’s office so I can send them your testing results? "

uggggggg

Bummer - but probably better that they are so careful. I'm concerned by the same slow downs - I have mitral valve prolapse...maybe :) I had it as a kid and they said I'd grow out of it, nothing to medicate but the valve just acts oddly and the one thing I can never do is give blood since major blood loss can trigger a heart attack.

No one has mentioned it, thus far...can't imagine they won't forever though. We'll get thru it!

@referee54 - Thank You for the "calm" down" ~!!!!

@TexasTee = always something~!!!!

Off to my oldest' sons basketball practice~!

Yes, it sounds like all part of getting your ducks in a row.

I would say that a few of us, myself included, had one of those moments when everything was appearing to go well, only to be interrupted by a phone call or an email that shook us up a little bit.

Down the road, this won't even be a "speed bump" on the highway of your life when you are fully recovered.

Thank You everyone~!@ The support here is second to none, being on the internet for so long with so many groups, I have to say this group is #1, no trolls, no bad mouthing - just people looking out for each other, I find that quite amazing and comforting .. = )

Slept terrible, now that I have this to worry about + I worked 12 hours last night, I am a Network Enginneer for Rutgers University- I am trying to finish up a wireless upgrade project Campus wide - so, that means swapping out the old access points for the new equipment, ladder, drilling, cutting ...ect...I want to finish up before my leave, which would make my Boss happy ( though, he is a awesome Boss ) and it would not matter if it were not done, I want to have it done..

So, I returned home around 2:30AM, now getting my two boys ( 8, and 6 ) ready for school - then up to see my OS, PT today, at 10-11- then try to deal with this pulmonary stuff - and hope to get back to work for another 10 hours today - today I will also ask my OS to increase the quantity of my pain meds -cause the next two weeks, with work and family, and xmas - I will be going on my feet like crazy.... I am sure he will see the need, and understand my problem at hand, just had to take 2 again , since I am feeling the late night work....

Again,Thank You all for the support - I am so glad I joined this group of awesome people - lol, I guess since we all have a huge thing in common it make's it easy on us to understand each other..

Much respect, I'll check in later.....

-chris

Like others have said before, make sure that you are doing upper-body exercises---believe me, you will need the upper-body strength when you are hoisting yourself around after the BTKR. Your legs are certainly not useless, but there most likely will be a "Trapeze" over your bed and you will be doing a great deal of pushing up from a chair with both arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie