THR My Hip journey (THR 18 Nov 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annelize Buys

Country
South Africa South Africa
I was training for a marathon in 2013 when my hip pain started. After the marathon I had a labral tear fixed via an arthroscopy. Unfortunately that did not solve my hip pain completely. Upon further investigation we found that I have osteo arthritis, genetically passed on by my mom. This year the xrays showed that the right hip had almost no cartilage left. My running dwindled to walking with a limp, but I continued doing road races. I finally had an AMIS (Anterior minimal invasive surgery) replacement of my right hip last week. I am amazed at how little pain I have and how quickly my walking ( with crutches) and my range of movement exercises are becoming easier. I have high hopes for this new bionic hip. I don't think I'll wait so long before doing the second one.
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1448529859.791939.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum Annelize Buys 18/11/2015

:wave:Hi @Annelize Buys, glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are not experiencing much, if any, pain. I think it helps immensely when someone goes into surgery in a fit condition like you were as a runner. Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.:)

Thanks for your response @Hipster Girl. I did try to keep very fit, even started swimmimg and spinning again when running turned into crawling Really believing that being active is good for body and soul. I do think the anterior approach also helped though. Still just taking it slow and wishing the crutch days away, so I can move a bit faster and more!

Welcome to the good side @Annelize Buys ! Sounds like you made the right decision getting that THR. Easy does it now - slow and steady is the tried and tested recovery approach. I'll leave you with a bit of reading:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Day 10: i've managed to have three very good night's sleep in a row. This morning I joined my husband on his trip to our local parkrun. I sat in the shade and just breathed in the fresh air. I watched the other people running amd walking and took photographs. In the process of getting there and getting back to the car, as well as a quick stop at the shop, I walked 1350 steps with my crutches. I also managed to take zero painkillers today. Only took the blood thinning tablet, ecotrin. I feel absolutely fine. So grateful and happy. Now wondering if I should try and stretch it through the night without pain killers? What do you think?
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1448725425.834025.jpg

Now wondering if I should try and stretch it through the night without pain killers? What do you think?
Far too early to be reducing your pain control. At only 10 days out you still need your medication to increase your mobility. You will know when it's time to reduce your meds when you start forgetting doses. This is usually your midday dose.

Thank you so much @Jacey, I was a bit worried that I'm too quick to try and be brave. Will take all needed tonight! One day at a time, and motion is lotion

Yeah, I would wait, too. There's plenty of time, and the pain is usually worse at night. You look great. I think the hardest thing for athletic people doing this surgery is developing the patience to completely heal. It's really worth it, though. I was also very fit before my surgery, and it made the recovery much easier than I expected. That's wonderful that you're not in pain!

Thanks so much, @hiphiphooray. You are right, patience is the big thing. Actually good that I was told to use crutches, because that's a reminder to go slowly. Will behave, promise

I was a bit worried that I'm too quick to try and be brave.
You have already been very brave just having the surgery. No heroics during recovery - they only set you back. Just remember - a very short time with meds and walking aides for a lifetime of no hip pain.

I'm 33 days out. I've really just stopped the pain pills at night this week. Probably stopped taking most when you did but kept the night ones going. I did switch to tylenol extra strength at less than 2 weeks and then the night time version just to try to encourage the good sleeps. Didn't really feel I needed them but just wanted to encourage the sleep as much as I could.

It is nice to be able to talk to all of you. We truely are a brave bunch. Let's keep carrying one another! Thanks@Jaycey and @Lseven

I'm having a good day, again! Walked the furthest yet, around the block...0.87km...equaling 1354 crutch steps! Taking it slow, but so nice to be out in the sun. Have a good day hipsters!
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1448802243.934974.jpg

@Annalize Buys - well done. I suppose if nothing else this will teach us some patience.

RTHR 25 November 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks @shiv01, and I still have energy left! But not gonna act on that. Rather read up more about our journey for now. Tomorrow is another day! Good luck to you too!

Taking it slow, but so nice to be out in the sun.
Well done on taking it slow and steady! Each day will bring a new accomplishment. What seems impossible one day is easy the next time you try.

PS - can you please send some sun my way? Grey, cold, dark and very windy here. I forget what sunshine looks like! :sad:

Good job on the walking @Annelize Buys ! It looks so warm and pretty where you are with all the flowers; I bet the walking is such a treat when you have such beautiful scenery! :cool:

Yes, @Hipster Girl and @Jacey, we are so happy about summer! Cape Town is beautiful at the moment. Can't wait for my wound to get healed up enough so I can start walking in the swimming pool. Good luck with you winter. At least you might be able to look forward to a white Christmas!

It was my birthday yesterday, so I rewarded myself with a longer walk. 930m around a bigger block in the area. So wonderful to get moving! Seeing the doctor in 2 days for my 2week checkup. Really hope I can then get rid of one crutch. Will be great to have one hand free.
Also getting quite frustrated by the compression socks, because it is very hot to wear in summer. How long have you guys used it? My physio sheet says 6 weeks! Well, will survive if that is what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads