My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bottomshollo LOLOLOLOL......to funny!!!!!! You got that right...lol I think I said the word scared a billion times here.......when does that feeling subside......??? I got a feeling it doesn't...think my new word shall be EXCITED>>>>>>Everyone I'm EXCITED!!!:scary::yikes: :heehee:

@chaseyboy @MajorHeidi @Plumberbutt @frieds @psychteach You'll be so glad and relieved that you did it after it is done. I know, because I experienced pretty much everything you have. On February 4th I finally had the darn right hip replaced and I could not be happier. I know, everyone's recovery is different. I walked three miles today only three weeks and three days post op and I had none of the old familiar and dreaded pain and limp. I am really really tired tonight. I am sure it is the so called energy drain, but I feel absolutely wonderful. If you chose your surgeon carefully trust him/her to do a great job. And then do what they tell you afterwards. Bonesmart has been incredibly helpful for me. I wish you all the best.

@Briggieride I like your new pic in your avatar.
You are doing so awesome in your recovery. I sure hope we do , too!
:yay:

Thanks, @MajorHeidi . I figured out how to do it by reading how to do it in one of the posts. I overdid a little yesterday as evidenced by my slight slide back to limping, especially after getting up this morning. Nooooo! I'll do less today, but am committed to visiting my very pregnant daughter-in-law and grandgirl today. I'll try to take it easy.
I'll keep checking in on you.

@MajorHeidi So proud of you my friend for making the decision for April 10th.:yay: Thanks for letting me know you set this thread up. Trust me when I say you won't regret it. Just a mere 11 days ago I too was scared out of my wits, may not have showed it but deep inside I was. :scary:You are gonna do great, and like chaseyboy said looking forward to the summer pain free. :dancy:We are all here for you my dear and can't wait to see you on the other side!!

@chaseyboy You are lucky working at an ortho office because you have access to a lot. The ice pack has become my friend since the surgery but I didn't really use it before.:console2: I got a really nice one in the hospital that holds 2 gel packs that don't get too stiff but stay cold quite a while and I got a set to exchange so 4 total. I also found some reusable at Walmart for $3 each and I got 2 of them. I made 2 with the alcohol and water but with the others I have I just haven't needed the home made ones. We are here cheering you on and you too @Plumberbutt. You all are gonna do great!! :flwrysmile::friends:

@Briggieride...oh thank you for kind words...really I think I am now in a better frame of mind....Next week is going to fly so I won't have a lot of time to think of what is going to happen on March 10th...:scary:Still very nervous of the unknown...but with the help of my friends here I should be alright!!!!:SUNsmile:
@mystikfairy61...I hope I find you well today...took a trip to Walmart got some things for the hospital....See I am getting ready and feeling pretty good...My daughter drug me to IKEA,,,I don't know if you ever went there BUT OMG I really realized today how badly I need this surgery,,,All that walking and lately I have swallowed my pride and used a cane...I just had to ...BUT when I was at Walmart I was walking into the store with the cane and A guy was going by in one of those motorized scooters...He said excuse me Miss would you like this??????????? I said no thank you.....OMG :boohoo:Not Me??????????? Hello March 10th...HERE I COME:heehee:

@chaseyboy...I relied on those carts for several months, wouldn't have been able to go shopping without it.

shopping cart.jpg
Yes, I think they're great. I would never have been able to buy groceries for months before TKR without them. People don't look down on you for using them---and most want to help you if they can.

@frieds @psychteach @chaseyboy @MajorHeidi @Plumberbutt
You are all going to be so happy after the surgery. Once again I am feeling overjoyed today and kind of emotional. I visited my very pregnant daughter-in-law and grandgirl at the travel trailer they are staying in on hospital grounds waiting for the delivery of the new baby. Why the travel trailer on hospital grounds? Medical problems of the baby that need to be dealt with right after birth. Anyway, I was so happy to be able to walking around with them in a local outdoor shopping center without any pain. Before my surgery this would not have been possible at all. I am so incredibly grateful for the dedicated medical professionals who seek to better the outcomes, the recovery of especially THR patients. It is such an incredible gift to be given back ones life.
I have no idea what physical condition any of you are in besides your hips. I can't know if any of you recover the way I am. But what I do know is that you will be given your life back eventually.
Being women, except plumberbutt, remember that you don't have to do anything while you recover except recover and being kind to yourself. Let your significant other do for you and appreciate their efforts. Give people an opportunity to do for you. We don't have to be Superwomen all the time.

@chaseyboy @mystikfairy61 I ventured out to WalMart today myself.
I hadn't been there in about six months. Huge store.
I started using a cane about a week ago; had to..... It does help. :blush:

Near the end of shopping, I was so tired I was hanging over the cart holding on.
Good grief; I guess I hadn't been standing up for two hours straight in ages.
That really shocked me.
I was exhausted upon returning home.

But, I did get a little bicycle bag thingie with velcro straps to attach to the front of a walker to
carry stuff.
@DrToonz Today, I picked up a pair of trekking poles with rubber tip things.
Based on your story of using one/two, I thought this would be useful to me for walking outside on nice walks.
Thanks for the idea! :SUNsmile:

Onward and upward, all! Have a great Sunday!

@Briggieride...Oh you sound so happy,,,it makes me emotional....I am so happy for you...To be with your family and to be able to enjoy them..Again..Oh so happy for you...Its very hard I think for us as women to have someone help us. I'm just so use to taking care of every one . But you are so right!!! ..Its time for me to think of myself...not in a selfish way... my family keeps telling me they will be there...relax...and my son really made me emotional today..He is 26...He said Mom I will be at the hospital...I told him he didn't have to come,,,he said Mom I will be there...I guess that says it all Right?? I feel good today...I can't wait until March 10th....Be well my friend:SUNsmile:

@Briggieride So good to hear about your visit with your daughter in law and I hope her delivery goes well.
And, I am so glad you are recovering so well and you feel so good!!!!!

@chaseyboy Happy your son is being so sweet to want to be there and protect you and cheer you on!
Awwww... March 10 is coming. Yay!

@MajorHeidi...LOL I went to Walmart today to,,,and with a cane.....lol...My daughter says MOM get on the scooter...I said NOOOOOOO...LOL but it would have been nice to....lol.....Leaning on the cart is my thing...lol:heehee:

@MajorHeidi...I can tell you are ready to do this thing girl......and yes its good to have such a good son...two daughters to that SAY MOM>>>>>>>JUST DO IT ALREADY.....lol:dancy:

Hi @Poppet , I read your article on probiotics in the library.
Thank you that is very useful.

I do have a question, and just want to be sure.... these are safe to use after THR aren't they?
It seems like they would be helpful to your body. What do you advise? Thanks

Hi @MajorHeidi - I would suggest that you don't take probiotics whilst on your blood thinning medications (if your surgeon prescribes them) post surgery as probiotic bacteria involves the production of vitamin K. Vitamin K increases the blood clotting ability and may interfere with the medication's effects.

Once you have completed your blood thinning meds then probiotics are certainly a good idea to re establish the good bacteria in the gut. :)

@MajorHeidi Trips anywhere wore me out to the point of almost tears so I understand. I have felt so lucky since the surgery because I used the walker the day after surgery (Wed), and over the weekend. When PT came the second time to see me at home on Tuesday, 1 week post op, I started using the cane, but he also had me walk a few steps without it, and said I could use my own discretion at home on whether to use the walker, cane or nothing. I use nothing at home unless I overdo and my muscles are tired then I use the cane, and I use the cane to go out. I know you will be glad to be pain free, trust me, it is awesome and so worth it!!:dancy:

Aww Donna you are doing so great! Love your new xray pix!

@Poppet Thank you for the nutritional info. I am so glad I asked you.
I had thought about taking the probiotics right after surgery. Now I will wait til after I
complete the aspirin blot clot therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member