My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorHeidi

big-cheese
Country
United States United States
Hi all,
I have been here awhile, getting acclimated and reading as much as I can.

The scheduler: (She Who Must Not Be Called) finally called with the news of my THR date: April 10!
:yay: but also :yikes:.....

I think each day til my surgery I will look at myself in the mirror, and tell myself that
"The surgery will be smooth, and the recovery will be a success".
When I was a sales rep, and had a big presentation to do... I would tell myself "I can do this". :SUNsmile:

My story:
I am 54, female, and live in a rural area in Virginia.
In August, I first felt groin pain, and thought it a pulled muscle.
It never 'got better'; and I developed a pronounced Quasimodo limp.
Meanwhile, I went to a podiatrist because both feet hurt.
Turns out I have bone on bone in both feet at the first metatarsal bone.
I told the podiatrist about the hip pain, and he sent me to the OS who found
Advanced OA in the right hip (bone on bone); and moderate OA in the left hip.

The wait for the OS has been lengthy, as there are many others in front of me.

So, I now have a date: April 10. I have become a bit emotional, tearing up at things.
But, I am going to be positive and think about the summer coming, and being able to
go to the pool. That will be nice!

Onward and upward.
I look forward to my BS buddies' support.
:)

@MajorHeidi , well done on getting your surgery date! Of course you are anxious - no one likes major surgery. Keep reading here and discussing your fears. There are plenty of other Smarties who are feeling the same way. You are part of an international family now and we are here for you!

This forum is what made me not scared and EXCITED to get it done so to get rid of the pain. Yes, I have the same limp and have gotten quite frustrated with it and want it to be gone....PRONTO!!! When I went to my OS, I WANTED the surgery date and it couldn't be soon enough. I was scared to death at first diagnosis.....this CAN'T be me!!! After finding this forum, it has put me at ease and March 26th can't come soon enough. I have good days that I only limp and I am careful to try and avoid the pain, but then I turn just wrong, or get up without my leg lined up straight and WHAM.....excruciating pain INSTANTLY!! My problem isn't the arthritis, but the bone head collapsing. Anyways....this forum is great and we can all help support each other!!! Don't be scared, all will be better before you know it!!

@frieds Makes four of us!!

@MajorHeidi...OMG you DID IT APril 10th!!!!!!! You think your nervous girl???? MINE IS MARCH 10th WHAT????? In one week????? oh my I have so much to do in one week I hope I can get it done. I didn't mean to do it like this but it was around 8 weeks ago I saw my Doctor and picked that date!!!! In the back of my mind I thought I would cancel,,,,,but I saw him yesterday and said OH YES LETS DO IT!!!!!! We will do this together....Think yes of the summer time and Jumping in that pool........Yay!!!! you did it...proud of you:martini: ...Now for me ..:scary:right there with you girl!!!!

Yay! @chaseyboy You are very brave!
I will be right there with you, my buddy!
You will be able to tell all of us coming after you how good it is!
Wow! March 10 is coming soon..... I have set my mind to the fact that the sooner the better, we will feel good again. Yes yes yes! :martini: I am having a martini now toasting us!

@Plumberbutt,,,,Limping is just the worse part of this.....You try not to but you can't!!!! This site has really helped me with coming to terms that I need this surgery....wishing you the best....:SUNsmile:

@MajorHeidi..oh I am far from brave,,,,I am very scared.....Its a very big decision isn't it??? And only we can decide it...I just want to get back to my old self...Not having pain 24/7 is just so nice to think about. Try to think good thoughts...Think of us 6 months from now walking and enjoying life...Not looking for a chair to sit down on cause you can't walk far....and ice packs that have become my best friend..... I am so sick of them!!!!I have more ice packs in my freezer than food these days>>>LOL Good bye to you ice pack and HELLO to my new HIP....March 10 is so close...coming fast. Hopefully I can get all the testing done!!! Having another snow storm this Sunday:gaah: Think I need a few of these!!!!!:martini::heehee:

@chaseyboy did you make your own icepacks? I see a thread on social area where there are
pics of how to do it step by step .... I went out and bought the isopropyl alcohol, but haven't yet made any.
Have you? or did you buy some?
I am telling myself that it will all be good !

@Plumberbutt Check out the social thread to see how to make these cheap ice packs yourself.

@MajorHeidi.....No I never made my own...I work at an Orthopedic office,,,,all kinds of stuff there LOL Always stealing ice packs...they were little ones though..The Practice that I work for has their own Physical Therapy Place. I got to go there for nothing!!! Perk of being an employee!!! After the pt they always ask you if you wanted ice or heat and I always asked for the ice. It was a gigantic thing they put on you, I asked where could I buy them??? Well they had them there for sale..15.00 well spent..Its like heaven:angel: Its so big It fits across your whole hip. You should look around I guess maybe at physical therapy places or maybe a medical supply place? Its sure beats the little ones and stays cold for a really long time. I may buy another one cause I think we are going to need that ice after surgery..:SUNsmile:

@chaseyboy, I have loads of pics to choose from when posting. I happen to run across this one, and it made me think of you and your thread title:

scared.jpg
However, I know that you're going to be just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562