Muscle Spasms causing involuntary flexion at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jo! Any advice on the bending? He just said to make sure to stretch it well each hour. I ended PT last January as it was proving to be what I have learned from you the WAY too aggressive type. I think some of my issues were a definite result of that. So, I want to be sure I do enough on my own but not too much. You have taught me it is an important balance. All input is very welcome. I feel very lucky to have found bone smart....... Wish I had found you all at the beginning but better late then never;)

Great report!!! I'm so happy this went well for you.

Your doctor is right on with the gentle stretches and bends for a while. Once you get feeling better, you can up the activity a little.

Awesome report and I'm glad things went so well. Sounds like you really needed it.

Concentrate on the full range of motion he gained even if you have to have someone gently assist or need to assist yourself. Your muscles may not be strong enough or used to getting there on their own. I know mine still aren't. Hang in there when you get tierd and keep going. This ROM is well worth it.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011

Danny I hope your doing well with your manipulation. I've been thinking about you.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Thanks Jo for the exercise link. I had actually looked at those before and so I know I am doing what I should be doing!

Thanks for checking on me Donna. I would say it is still going well. Not sure what the measurement is as I am doing PT at home. Yesterday I added getting in the pool and just moving. My daughter, who is expecting her first baby, bought a long floating "noodle" thing. I sat on it and peddled my legs as if on a bike. Closest thing to biking I will get as I do not have a stationary one and am afraid to get on the little beach comber that I used to ride around the ranch on........BIG fear of falling off right now. So I am just stretching whenever I get a chance and working here at home gives me the opportunity to juggle my schedule a bit.

I am getting most of my PT through normal daily activities. I read here often that daily living can also be considered PT.........hope that's right! I know I am not where my Dr got me last Friday but so much further then before the MUA. I have very little pain and the AWFUL "vice grip" that felt clamped on my knee is gone! Still tight and sore but I finally can lean into my stretch and feel some soreness but not the serious pain I have had the past 7 months!!!

Sleeping in the brace still (although not so well tonight...... That's why i am on the forum at this crazy hour!) and likely will for awhile..... I believe those awful night attacks hindered my healing so much so will continue to eliminate the possibility of them returning for now!

Any advice on pool exercises anyone? Just kinda winging that and hoping moving in the water is just good in general.

Donna, sounds like you are doing a great job with you MUA progress.

Night, night everyone..... Looking forward to all new advice!

The exercise you are doing in the pool on the noodle is excellent. Keep that up! You can also do some bends in the water and you may find it easier than on dry land. The pressure of the water on your leg helps.

I'm sure you still have some measure of swelling, so don't worry about where your ROM is at this point. Just keep working things and doing your normal activity. It actually IS therapy!!

I needed to hear that Jamie...... My knee is so stiff and sore today. Sore versus pain...... That is a such a relief but still scared me a bit that I had already lost the MUA gain. I have followed Donnas thread and she is doing so many sessions a day. I am not seeing a PT and my work day is longs is just getting through the chores of the day. Almost in tears today I was so worried that I had somehow screwed up and the MUA was going to be for nothing. I logically know that some swelling must come along with the treatment but it is not that visible on the exterior. I just want so badly to get better..... And I need to try and keep at least some of the gain. Your words were like a soothing salve to me. Once again I am reminded that a turtles pace is ok. I had just felt like Wonder Woman the first few days;)) so happy that the "vice grip" on my knee was removed! Tomorrow will be a better day! Thanks.

The stiffness and soreness can be helped by icing and elevating. Remember, "Toes above Nose":wink1:

Please also remember that the swelling is what's preventing you from realizing the ROM that you have. It won't go away. But....the swelling is also a sign that you are pushing a bit too much for this point in your recovery. I'd slack off the activity some until you can keep that swelling under control.

Danny I agree with the ice and elevation. You can even get in your chair upside down of sorts to get the leg going up straight. Add more ice and elevations if you can. I put an ottoman that is level with the seat in front of my couch to give me more room.

I'm not doing anything for strength. I only warm up and do 10 knee flexions each time I work it then I ice. I don't do leg raises or quad sets or anything but the flexion. Did you say you were back at work? Since I've been back mine is swelling more. So let the housework slide and try to rest the knee when you can.

I agree with Jamie that the gain is still there and it is hard to bend when its swollen. Hang in there and be gentle. Your doing great.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Thanks my friends!! Nothing beats encouraging words or..........cute signs Jo :))) I am elevated and icing right this moment. I will keep it up and keep reading the ever so helpful posts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie