BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Muscle pain after almost 5 months

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by wingnut, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Hi. I'm a 46 year old male approaching the 5 month mark after surgery for total right hip replacement - 5 months on May 15.

Things have been going well. I feel strong, can walk as far as I want - but do experience some discomfort on occasion (especially after sitting for an extended period), have been riding a bicycle, etc. Still going to PT twice a week. I feel like I get something out of it and they've been great about challenging me.

My problem is that I feel like I've leveled off, or even gone back a bit. I have pain in the and groin joint area. Still using ice for relief along with occasional Advil. Seems like I've been sleeping on my right side a lot (probably because I couldn't before surgery). The soft tissue is sore in the morning, and I still have some spots neat the back of my butt area that are sore to the touch (if I press on it or sit for a long time).

Seems like even my incision is still a bit sore.

My PT's tell me this is totally normal and that the soft tissue/muscle pain I experience is due to increased activity. I spoke to the doc and he said pretty much the same thing. I'm a little paranoid and am wondering if anyone else experienced issues like this. I feel more sore now than I did a month ago.

Anyone?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Leslie57

Leslie57 New Member

Hi Wingnut,

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I suppose 3 months on an Anterior is about 4-5 months on other THRs. I have pain and stiffness in the thigh and groin area. My PT did a very complete assessment to make sure I didn't damage the prosthesis last week and then I met with my surgeon and had Xrays to confirm that everything was OK. It was and they told me the same thing as you.

I was walking longer distances and driving 50-100 miles a day at times, then I worked on a friends computer in a 2nd floor office with about 20 steep steps top to bottom. I figure I must have walked about 400 steps that day (his computer was a mess and I worked on it 8 hours). Next day the pain really set in.

I was told the muscles are still weak and prone to overuse injuries if I don't watch it. My fellow joint replacement friends at the gym say it takes 6 months or more for complete recovery, and to be careful. Patience is the key, and it's hard when you're used to being active, and beyond tired with being inactive.

So take is slow, but don't stop. You don't want tightness or adhesions forming. If you can use a pool and do some easy water walking and easy movements that really helps.

Best,

Leslie

• Like Like x 2
  3. MsSplenda56

MsSplenda56 Member

Hi,

I will be five months on the 29th of May from a TRH revision. I haven’t been walking long distance. On April 29th being four month out I decided to see what I could really do so I walked 1.2 miles in 12 minutes. Friday I was really sore. What helped are the stretching and the exercises. Don’t stop what you are doing it sound like you are really enjoying your new hip. Just remember we are still recovering and from time to time will seem like a set back. My incision is sore and swells from time to time; my PT see the swelling he work on soft tissue that day. Chin up and keep doing what you are doing.

Happy Tuesday!

• Like Like x 1
  4. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Thanks to Leslie and MsSplenda!

While I'm not happy to hear you're having similar issues, I am happy to hear that you seem confident in the explanation of the issue.

I've put on some weight since the surgery, am still trying to figure how low is too low for a chair, have been able to cut my toenails but can't quite get a sock on yet. Don't even ask about how I was able to cut the nails-it was stupid, I stretched waaay too much and that's probably where it all began. I think I had myself convinced that the weight gain and stretching may have damaged something.

For what it's worth I'm amazed at the amount of support and advice offered here. You're a good group. Thank you!

However, please don't let me thwart any alternative opinions on this. While I certainly appreciate the advice I'd like to hear any other ideas.

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I have two. First is that you have some tendonitis or even a bursa. It often happens about this time. There are two bursaes in the hip area, one one the outside and the other in the groin. They are naturally occurring structures but if the muscles and ligaments around them are over-worked, they can get inflamed and be very painful.

[​IMG]

These can take some time to settle and in the meantime, you need to take some pain meds to help you out. Two Tylenol Extra and 400-800 mgs ibuprofen should do the trick two or three times a day for at least 3 weeks, more if the condition persists.

Second is that you need to rest it. If the area is inflamed and hurting, working it more is counter-productive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

Hey Wingnut,

I am just a day ahead of you as I had my hip replaced on December 14th. I too am having quite a lot of pain and still walk with a cane when not at home. I've been working through IT band pain and hip flexer pain. My main pain problem now is in the groin and down to the knee. I'm at the point I think the pain won't ever go away. I guess we both have to be patient, huh?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Member

Hi Wingnut!
    I posted a thread on this same issue a little while ago. I'm 6 months out from my LTHP and have dealt with that same sort of pain. (Mine kicked in when I was overdoing it at the gym. ) Jo's diagram really pinpointed my problem area for sure! I'm getting better now and I can do more walking without waking up the next day with that pain. Hang in there!! It's getting better everyday! :thmb:
    PS~My RTHP was a year ago and even that incision is still a little sore! :pzld:

• Like Like x 1
  8. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Once again, thanks to all for the help.

A minor update. Since my original post the pain has gotten a bit worse. What seems odd to me is that the worst of it occurs while walking. Oddly, going up steps is bad at all. Going down steps is a bit painful. Standing from a seated position, no problem.

Looking over Josephine's post and diagram I'm wondering if she's onto my issue. The bursa sac could explain why it hurts doing one thing but not another. Also, the fact that lying on it causes some discomfort when I wake up. The Trochanteric Bursa is EXACTLY where I experience the pain inside and to the touch.

I'll begin ramping up the advil and going a bit slower. Although, to be honest, outside of lawn mowing last weekend and coaching my son's TBall games Monday and last night I feel like I have been fairly inactive. (by "coaching Tball I mean pretty much walking very short distances and cheering on the kids as they all chase one ball. Very cute and funny)

9. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

Ugh. I just watched the metal on metal video posted here and now have myself convinced something is messed up. Pretty much only based on pain, not any of the other symptoms the doctor mentions. I just want to fast forward to the part where I forget I ever had this done! (and my issues are so minor compared to some of the ones I've read about here)

10. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now, now - you just said yourself that you thought I'd got it right and I am pretty sure I have as well! Bursitis is very common whilst those issues are not at all common. Some people have had those issues but that doesn't mean you have!

11. wingnut

wingnut Junior Member

LOL, I know, I know. I'm just a total spaz. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.