BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Muscle cramps at night

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Creation, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creation

Creation Member

Since the surgery, every night I have had muscle cramps that have woken me up. :scratch: I figured out that since I still do not have have a perfect full extension, whenever my body's reflex to stretch: the TKR leg just cramps up. This is very annoying and prevents me from having a good nght of sleep. I have to stretch my leg in a controlled manner to avoid this discomfort, which does not happen when I sleep!

My Family Doctor told me to take some calcium/magnesium vitamins to help with this. Not really any good results. But last night, after a day of a sore calf muscle I decided to take 1 Robaxacet before I went to bed with my regular nightly 1 percocet for pain. The Robaxacet has tylenol and a muscle relaxant.
    This was the best night I have had since the surgery. I do not know if it is the Robaxacet or just luck at this point, but I will try it again tonight to see if I have a repeat.

Does anyone else have that problem? :what:And what has your solution been?

2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sounds like you found a good solution to your problem Creation! Sometimes it's a matter of breaking a bad sleep cycle but I agree - try it again and see if you get the same results.

Please let us know how it goes!

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Muscle cramps do sometimes happen at night after a knee replacement. You might also try drinking a glass of tonic water right before bed. Be sure and get a good brand that has real quinine in it...that's what helps.

4. zjrog

zjrog Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I had a couple close calls with cramps. Once in the hospital, once after a tough day at therapy (just as I was nodding off to sleep). But I had a couple good cramps that held on way too long.

And last week, stretching, had a cramp in my left hamstring area.... I couldn't relax for over an hour. No, not from jumping off things...

5. kneesrus

kneesrus Sr Bonesmartie

I would suggest to be as active as you can. These systems are use to activity. I also have had luck with an Alkaselzer before bed.
    Best of luck,
    David

6. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    An Alkaselzter, David? What's in it that makes a difference?

7. margaretd

margaretd Senior

Glad you found a way to relieve your spasms. I still have them, and I am at 11 months. I take Flexeril, (muscle relaxant), and other various meds at nite, but I found that sleeping in a recliner works the best for me. THought several months ago that the spasms and ache were behind me, but now they are back.. I think it is just a part of the recovery process, and there are many parts to this, as you run up on another part, you will find there are different ways to help with the issue, your way to make it better may be totally different from anothers way. As long as the issue stops, that is what the key is! Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.