BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

MRSA and infections

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by skiagain, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skiagain

skiagain New Member

Has anyone out there tested positive for MERSA bacteria? I have had post op infections before so they are recommending that I do the skin scub 5 days prior. Haven't heard back from the nasal swab- will hear tomorrow. Just wondering how much it increases your risk of infection.
  2. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: MERSA and infections

Increases? Or decreases?

In the UK it is becoming standard practice to have showers five days pre-op with at least two shampoos. Each shower/shampoo has to be with a brand new wash cloth or shower ball and freshly laundered towels. Statistics so far have shown a dramatic decrease in the incidence of MRSA infections.
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States

We've had several members on the forum who have had problems with MRSA. It's an added concern, but joint replacements have been done successfully even in those who have a tendency to get infections.
  4. skiagain

skiagain New Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't test positive for it, but will still do the skin scrub for 5 days prior just on the leg. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make this the best experience it can be. Thanks again for the info.
  5. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Mine was a bit different, we had no instructions about showering, but at 6.30am on the day of the op we were told to go and rub ourselves down with iodine all over (except the head) and shower it all off. The smell reminded me of chemistry lessons many years ago. Must have been effective, as they never have any acquired infections.
    This was in an NHS hospital, but was operated by an independant company.
    I think this was the worst bit by far of everything done to me:wink:
  6. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

I was screen prior to each of my knee replacement surgeries. They did mouth and nasal cultures. Interestingly, there is new technology that detects MRSA by DNA analysis. Quicker test.
  7. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I have had MRSA 6 times including when I had my LTKR. They found I had MRSA pnuemonia and had to fight to keep it from invading my knee. I will be scrubbing with Hibiclens for a week prior to surgery, as well as using muprocin in my nasal passages. They will give me Zyvoxx, a powerful MRSA fighting antibotic before and after surgery as well as scrubbing my leg down with Hibiclens and then iodine before surgery. It is a lot of prep, but after so much infection, we can't afford to be lazy!:skp:
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was given the scrub to use the night before (shower) and then the day of the surgery. I was also test one month before during my pre-op. As you say, anything we can do to stop this bug!
  9. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

We have to get back the lessons we learned as children. Wash your hands...the most thing we can do to prevent the spread of MRSA. Ohhh...and we need to stop asking our docs for antibiotics everytime we have the sniffles. The docs need to stop using antibiotics indiscriminantly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.