MRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

net0girl

Country
United States United States
Hello. Just curious if it is normal to be diagnosed with Severe arthitis without MRI or Catscan. The only imaging they have done on me was an xray 1 year ago. I am scheduled for RTHR on May 2oth

Very normal. They usually don't need anything more than a x-ray. Experienced surgeons (and experts like our Jo) can take one look at an x-ray and spot the damage. In many cases it's pretty obvious. I did have a CT on my right hip as the technician kept saying he only saw a shadow. But my surgeon took one look and declared THR needed.

Hi @net0girl - and :welome: to Bonesmart. I can only say that my arthritis was diagnosed from an X-ray taken 8 months prior. My OS got up to date ones taken this January which showed a big deterioration and I had my RTHR a couple of weeks ago. If your OS is considered to be severe then you're taking the right route. I imagine you must be experiencing a lot of pain. Do post all or any questions or worries on here. You can be assured of lots of great support

Absolutely it is! I can spot even mild arthritis in a hip or knee xray from across the room and I'm not even a doctor! Besides which, 'back in the day' we never had MRI/CT scans anyway and we didn't do so bad on diagnosis!

Thank you so much. I am in so much pain right now barely can stand it. I am thinking about using a walker instead of the cane to use at work. Any pros or cons in a walker?

If you are in that much pain then please do get yourself a walker or elbow crutches. Anything to take the weight off that painful hip. Just be sure whatever you use is correctly measured for your height.

Ok thank you. You are all so kind. I really appreciate your responses. I felt like i was alone and that nobody understands my pain then i found this site!

I'm glad you asked the question. I'm watching the replies. I, too, have only had an xray but my GP simply stated that I had no cartilage, bone on bone, bone spurs, and severe advanced arthritis! Guess that says it all! Am also wondering if a simply xray shows all that, why would added expense of CT or MRI be needed? ~ Am also watching response of using a walker (or cane?). What I would REALLY love at this point is a handicap sticker for my car. Just a temp one. (Not too much to ask!) It's NOW when I could really use it....not after...when I will have a shinny new hip and a good gait (hopefully)

Oh my gosh me too. I so need a sticker. Its getting tougher and tougher

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I felt like i was alone and that nobody understands my pain
Believe me, we totally understand that pain. My left hip collapsed before I even had my first x-ray. Horrid bone on bone pain and limping around on crutches for 6 months waiting for surgery.

The good news is all that pain will be gone immediately post op. I know at this point it's very hard to believe this. But that first step post op is just amazing.

Hang in there - your day is coming soon!

Oh man that is horrible. I am still going to work everyday but its getting harder and harder

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

@net0girl and @Nana2-8 please do use any walking aid you can (but as Jaycey says make sure you get measured for the right 'fit'). I rather inadvisedly presumed I would need those aids postOp, but went for a cane first, followed by crutches. They do help to ease the pressure on the hips and people tend to treat yiu with more courtesy because they are aware. And, yes, a sticker would be great wouldn't it - I could have done with a temporary one too. @Nana2-8 do you have a date for your Op? If you add details to your signature (see mine below) we will always be aware when you post. You've both put up with pain for too long but have got a lot to look forward to, believe me. Best wishes :flwrysmile:

I'm glad you asked the question. I'm watching the replies. I, too, have only had an xray but my GP simply stated that I had no cartilage, bone on bone, bone spurs, and severe advanced arthritis! Guess that says it all! Am also wondering if a simply xray shows all that, why would added expense of CT or MRI be needed? ~ Am also watching response of using a walker (or cane?). What I would REALLY love at this point is a handicap sticker for my car. Just a temp one. (Not too much to ask!) It's NOW when I could really use it....not after...when I will have a shinny new hip and a good gait (hopefully)

My MRI didn't catch the arthritis, but an xray sure did!

You could ask your GP to fill out an application for a temporary handicap tag that hangs from your rear view mirror. I just took the completed application to my local DMV and they handed the tag to me on the spot. My tag was good for a year. Good idea to get one now. I wish I would have thought to ask for one BEFORE surgery, when I was REALLY handicapped. I didn't even think to ask for one then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not put to much faith in either MRIs or X-rays unless your clearly bone on bone. I had scopes that failed and had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross two weeks ago. He was hesitant to do it as I had a lot of joint space still in the X-rays.

I was in constant pain 24/7 especially while sitting. After the surgery he stated he found four square centimeters of grade 4 arthritis on the femur and 3 square centimeters on the acetabulum. It was on the inner portion of the joint, he was relieved when he found it thus more than warranted the surgery.

I am off crutches and walking can't say enough good things about Dr.Gross, highly recommend him if anyone wants to go the resurfacing route.

Larry

I would not put to much faith in either MRIs or X-rays unless your clearly bone on bone.
@ljpviper it depends what you're looking for. If it's an impingement, they are phenomenally difficult to diagnose with any kind of scan as it's more dependant upon the skill and knowledge of the surgeon than any xrays or scans. However, for outright arthritic damage, give me a straight xray every time!

I had minimal joint space loss for my age 44 on the X-ray. As stated in my other post it was ugly in the inner part of the joint once dr gross got in there.There is just so many variables with the hip joint. My scopes only lasted a few years. I lost faith in scopes after the two failed, right and left. The grey area is most surgeons won't push you into surgery with minimal wear or visible impingement. In the mean time you might be damaging the cartilage, once you loose enough, the scopes are Useless IMO.

I am just so happy to be pain free, the arthritis pain was unbearable sitting at times. The first week was rough but I am feeling better by the day. I just dropped my crutches today. I imagine the recovery for hip replacement must be similar. Dr. Gross has done over 4000 hip resurfacings so i was very comfortable with him, even though I had to go out of state. From all I was able to gather the critical part of hip resurfacing in component placement. Placed in correctly it could lead to MOM issues.

I plan on doing the left side in October, it's not as bad as the left.

Larry

I lost faith in scopes after the two failed, right and left. The grey area is most surgeons won't push you into surgery with minimal wear or visible impingement.. scopes are Useless IMO.
I totally understand where you are coming from but the problem is in the surgeon's choice of treatment.

Arthroscopy is only effective in FIA that has NO arthritic development whatsoever. Once there is even mild arthritis, it really is not the correct treatment of choice. But sadly, many hip arthroscopists are enthusiasts for that procedure and will do them anyway. It's a poor reflection on their professional integrity but it does happen which is why I always urge anyone with even mildly questionable MRI scans to get a second and maybe even a third opinion. As you know, it's no fun having your hopes raised only to find it's a failure.

@Nana2-8 and @net0girl ...
It's fairly easy to get a handicap placard. Your DR fills out the form, which they all have, and you take it to DMV. They give you a temporary one and mail the permanent one to you. The worst part is sitting at DMV waiting for your # to be called.

Oh man, @Nana757 , don't we all dread the idea of waiting our turn at the DMV??? However, I'm in a unique situation in that I am 'down South' and all my Dr.s are 'up North'. The parking spot situation has just developed in the last month or so, when I have become painfully aware that the thoughts of "heck with it, I'll grocery shop another day" when/if I had no other choice but park 'too far away'. Once I get back North, I may immediately look into that temp tag, just in case surgery is put off too long. Thanks for your input. And maybe we both have given others the idea.

My family ohysician signed my form today fir a handicapped placard! It will be good for 6 months!

TRHR May 20th 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas