MRA worries and my hip story - advice welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyday

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I've been lurking and decided I'd like to share my hip story!

In January 2015 I started experiencing a sharp pain in the hip/groin area of my left leg, on the front. It happened usually after I'd been sitting and I'd yelp, limp for a couple of steps and then it would subside. I thought I'd possibly strained a muscle or something and didn't really think much more about it.

After 3 months or so, I realised it wasn't getting any better and the pain was actually getting worse. I visited my physio, who'd treated me for other ailments previously. He said he thought it was referred pain from my back, as he felt some stiffness between L3 and L4 in my lumber spine. I had a couple of sessions, he recommended waiting a few weeks and reassessing.

A month or so later the pain had become so intense I was only coping through taking pain relief and I decided to visit the GP. I figured if I needed more physio I may as well go down the NHS route.

The GP felt there was some nerve irritation from the back, told me to go away, stop wearing skinny jeans (yes really) and come back if necessary in a month or so, although he predicted that by then it would have resolved and I'd be better. A couple of weeks passed and the pain was becoming so unbearable I made another appointment with a different gp. She agreed with the diagnosis, told me to do pilates and see how I get on. I felt totally helpless, cried and told her I couldn't cope. She prescribed amitriptyline 10mg (but said I could build up to 30mg) and referred me to the spinal clinic.

A couple of months passed, the pain was still there but not as intense, the medication was working. It had the added benefit of helping me sleep too.

I had my appointment at the spinal clinic with a senior physiotherapist. He felt I had a bulging/herniated disc and referred me for physio on the understanding if nothing improved I could come back for an MRI. Physio appointment comes 3 months later, and only after I have been back to the GP as the pain has again become unmanageable. I'm advised to up the amitriptyline to 50mg.

Physio lasted for 4 appointments. Treated for herniated disc and after reporting a better week with pain, I was discharged (not my choice). Come new year 2016 and I'm in agony again. Back to the GP I go, asking to be referred back to the spinal clinic for an MRI. The dr obliges and come March I have my appointment.

I see a new physio who declares I do not have any issue with my back and the problem is my hip! He thinks it's impingement (pain is simulated with the impingement test), takes some hip xrays and refers me to an orthopaedic consultant.

I saw the consultant a couple of weeks ago who upon looking at my x-rays he tells me I have arthritis in my left hip. This is a complete surprise to me! I also have very shallow sockets and my hips are turned outwards. Consultant says the pain is either due to arthritis, which would be treated initially with injection pain relief, or a labral tear which will require keyhole surgery to repair. I have been scheduled for a MRA of the hip on the 28th June. The consultant was very reluctant to speculate on either scenario until he has the results of the MRA. However, I'm now really worried that arthritis means one thing, and I'm worried that the problem may be much worse and I'll need a hip replacement.

The consultant also said to stop with the amitriptyline and now I'm on tramadol.

The pain is now constant, made worse with increased activity or increased sitting. I'm having to reassess everything that I do just to cope.

I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions! And I'm so worried about the MRA, specifically the needle! Any reassuring MRA experiences welcomed! Thanks!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi @sunndyday and welcome to BoneSmart. Are you really 14 or is that a mistake in the date of birth you used? You also used the term MRA - was this intentional or did you mean an MRI scan?

Until we know this, it's almost impossible to give you any advice.

I definitely get the pain all the time. Even with pain meds. it's there, chewing on your sanity. Gonna see Orthopedic next Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing what's what. I'm nervous and yet I HAVE to. I can't live like this. Stay connected here at least an hour. This is where you'll find your sanity.

Hi @sunndyday and welcome to BoneSmart. Are you really 14 or is that a mistake in the date of birth you used? You also used the term MRA - was this intentional or did you mean an MRI scan?

Until we know this, it's almost impossible to give you any advice.
Hi Josephine, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I'm not 14, I'm 40! I'll get my profile changed, not sure what happened there!

Yes it's an MRA. An MRI with arthrogram, the contrast dye. The letter says MRA. I've had an MRI on my head before so I understand the procedure, I'm just nervous about the injection element.

I can't comment on the diagnosis but I wanted to let you know that if it is arthritis and you do need a hip replacement you don't need to be scared of the hip replacement process. It's a very common, very straightforward operation and while it will take a few months out of your life in terms of recovery, it really does sort the pain out and give you your life and mobility back.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions about the experience of hip replacement, just ask.

And :rotfl: at being told not to wear tight jeans!

Hi @sunnyday You are very young so I can understand why you are upset and nervous about your pain and all the tests that are being done and Drs. you have to see. You mention that the x-rays show that you have very shallow hips. Did anyone mention hip dysplasia to you? There are a number of us on the site who have this condition which will bring on early arthritis in the hips. Eventually you will need a hip replacement(s) which may be where things stand for you now.

I agree with @Zelda that this is pretty routine and will sort out your pain issues. I, too, had a labral tear in my hip but two surgeons agreed that this was a useless procedure if arthritis is present. Eventually a hip replacement would be needed so might as well get it done once rather than two operations. Of course, I am older than you but all the same, I would question having that procedure done in light of your x-rays.

Sorry I can't offer advice on the MRA procedure but I'm sure it will be painless and quick. I've had a number of needles inserted in my groin and hip and although nerve racking, all went well. :wink:

You will find many stories and a lot of advice here on this site. If you need a hip replacement, this is where you want to be for help, support, guidance and lots of hugs!:friends:

Ah, okay, I've got it now. That must be a new acronym as I've not come across it before (showing my ignorance here! :wink:) I also changed your year date which was showing as 2002!

Well, the surgeon will use a local anaesthetic before the needle, much like a dentist does, so it should pretty much be painless. So try not to worry about that.
I'm now really worried that arthritis means one thing, and I'm worried that the problem may be much worse and I'll need a hip replacement.
Don't be scared about a hip replacement. It's not the dreadful experience people think it is this side of the surgery. But if you would tell us what it is that worries you, we'll be more than happy to put your mind at rest. There's nothing like talking with people who've already been through it. But first we need to know what your 'demons' are!

I had my MRI arthrogram yesterday and thought I'd update this post in case anyone else wants to read about the experience.

I arrived at the hospital and had a short chat with the nurse about safety etc and if I'd had any previous procedures etc which may interfere with the arthrogram. I then changed into my gown and my own dressing gown. I am so pleased I had my own gown as it was freezing in the scanner!

I was then taken to a theatre/sterile room where there was a nurse, a radiographer and the radiologist. I laid on the table and the radiologist then tied my feet together with a bandage so my toes were pointing inwards. This was to move the hip to a position that would give the doctor a wider area to inject into. My hip was then wiped with iodine etc and a large sticky pad with a hole in was then stuck to my leg. The radiographer then moved the x-ray machine over my hip and there was a screen where the images appeared next to her. the machine was switched on and there was my hip - cool!!

The first injection was administered and this was the first lot of local anaesthetic. It felt the same as any regular injection into the arm. I could feel it working, it felt a bit cold.

Shortly after the main injection was administered. The doctor explained that it needed to go through various layers and as each layer is penetrated there may be discomfort. He would keep adding more anaesthetic into the layers and as and when I needed it.

The doctor further explained that as the needle reached the hip it might feel uncomfortable, some people feel it and some don't.

Throughout the whole process the doctor was talking to the radiographer and taking images of the hip. I could see on the screen the needle getting deeper and deeper (but only cos i looked!)

When the needle reached the hip there was a slight increase in discomfort but no worse than having a dental injection.

The contrast was then injected, there was a slight feeling of fullness but nothing painful. The dr then pulled on my leg and that was it!

I was then transferred to a trolley and was moved to the MRI scanner. I was told to lie still on the trolley and not move my leg as I had to wait about ten minutes for the scanner to be free. I was put in the scanner feet first. My head was poking out the end but the rest of my body was inside. The scan probably lasted about 45 minutes. The machine is very noisy, and I was a bit cold as there was air conditioning inside the tube. Once the scan was finished I was able to stand up and go home. My mum had come with me and she drove, which was recommended given my leg was numb.

I slept ok last night, I have been taking some ibuprofen and the area feels quite sore, but totally manageable. Taking it easy today.

Glad it wasn't too trying an experience. Now the long wait for the report!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks