BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Most comfortable clothing post op?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by MaryC, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryC

MaryC Member

Ladies, this is aimed mostly at you. What is the most comfortable clothing post op? Can you wear pants? Or is that irritating for the scar? I need to figure this out so I can buy what I need fairly quickly, unless I can get by with what I already have. Shopping is difficult, so I need time to do it in bits and pieces.

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I think you'll find loose fitting stretchy pants or shorts will be most comfortable....like workout clothes.

Some people wear loose pullover dresses too....think muu muu.....

3. MaryC

MaryC Member

So like cotton knit pants? What about for warmth - since it is possible it could be getting cooler snce I'm having it done in October....

4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Yes, like cotton knit pants...but if it's pants instead of shorts, make sure they are VERY loose. Your incision will be tender and you'll have a bandage for a while. If you are at all comfortable with shorts, I'd get some of those too....even like men's boxers. Sweat pants are good too. Remember you'll primarily be inside so you don't need to worry too much about the cold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Elastic shorts, not too loose around legs for modesty and because you will have to keep your incision exposed during the day, probably. Later, I wore some knit Danskin looser fitting crop(mid-calf) pants with tie in waist, which I could pull up legs during therapy, then let down after. I always wore these same pants, in black, even to Dr. visits so I wouldn't have to change clothes.

I wouldn't worry about the top area, wear comfy clothes and layer if it becomes cool.

I actually wore some of my old stuff around the rehab place and bought some large gym clothes and donated them to hubby for his workout stash. I packed in two piles, one for hospital, and one for rehab.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MaryC

MaryC Member

The thought of appearing in public in shorts.....!!!!! Oh, well......small price to pay to regain my life, eh? How long before you were able to tolerate pants (meaning loose soft ones, whether cotton knit, sweat pants, etc.)?

7. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

I used long jerysey knit pants. They worked very well. Gentle on the knees. At home...I recommend as little as possible (LOL):shk:

8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Trust me....in the hospital you don't care and neither does anyone else. Take both shorts and pants if you want, but the shorts are much easier because of all the bandages and things that people are constantly checking.

You really aren't in public for quite a while, so it shouldn't be an issue. The thing is you WANT to be as comfortable as possible.

9. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Jeans for some reason give me a fit. I wore them for the first time in about 3-4 months this past weekend. Don't know what it is. Knit all the way for me still.

If you don't like shorts, find the longer knit pants and roll them up.

Agree with Jamie up there. It really doesn't matter what you wear as long as it's clean and no holes, but they want to get to that knee. Don't spend money to buy stuff just for up there. In hospital you will probably stay in a gown. They want you in it at night anyway.

10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Helen....the denim is a little rough and sometimes a person has to kind of "work up to wearing it." You can try the jeans for short periods and greadually your knees will de-sensitize. Some folks actually did an "exercise" where they rubbed the fabric across their knees to do the same thing.

11. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Well, you know, it's not the roughness, it feels heavy and droopy. Didn't go away after these months. But could be because that knee still has swelling.

12. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Yes, that would do it.

13. MaryC

MaryC Member

Yes, I agree, I'm not thinking or worrying about the hospital - figuring on mostly the gown there, plus a snap front short robe. I guess I'm thinking ahead to when I go to rehab and have to be dressed - and here I am not only thinking of a rehab facility, which I don't know if I'm going to one - but also of the outpatient rehab I'll be going to once I am home.

14. MaryC

MaryC Member

:hehe: Love it!

15. MaryC

MaryC Member

Thanks - I left for a while and did some online window shopping, to see if shorts are even available any more at this time of year.....found some - just need to figure out what size to order - did you order larger than your normal size for comfort's sake?

16. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I had some old shorts I wore that I bought at a discount store that I wouldn't even go to the grocery in that I took to rehab. I used those the most. I went to the hospital originally in cargo shorts but those were not adequate for PT. Bought some men's knit pants too. My faves were the old shorts. They were made of a thin poly-blend. Didn't care for the heavier athletic knits I took in.

Don't know your size, but you may want to look in the men's dept sale rack if you dont have anything at home to take with you. To answer your questiion, I did buy/order larger. Although I lost weight, body was pretty swollen with drugs and IV. But then after a week or 2, you will probably lose weight, so don't buy too much! Keep the tags on your clothes and tickets to take things back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Yes, do buy them a bit larger.

You may be using home health and not outpatient PT.....I did.

18. MaryC

MaryC Member

Thanks for the useful answer, Helen.

19. MaryC

MaryC Member

Jamie, I broke my hand on July 4th (forgot my knee didn't let me squat - spilled a bowl of cereal and instinctively squatted to clean it up - kaboom!). Anyway, when I got the cast off I went to PT for my hand, and mentioned about the RTKR. The PT told me that the PT for the knee would be group classes at the medical center. So, I will definitely be appearing in public in my "gahgeous" PT clothes - lol!:shk:

20. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Ahhhh.....well then.....we must make sure you are adequately attired. I think the loose workout clothes - either shorts or pants - will suit you just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.