BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Mini Trampoline/Rebounder

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by lilacwolverine, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilacwolverine

lilacwolverine New Member

I have just bought a mini trampoline and am now worried that it might hurt my new knees. I have been doing ten light runs and ten light jumps. Please any advice.

2. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

United States United States
    In PT I use a mini trampoline which stands on its side. Holding a weighted ball and standing on one leg tossing the ball at the trampoline and alternating legs. Sometimes standing on a foam pad. It s all for balance and strength.:thumb:

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Definitely do not use a trampoline! That's just the kind of activity that can cause the implants, especially the tibial one, to loosen.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, lilacwolverine....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you joined us.

Did you purchase the trampoline to use as a form of exercise? If so, you really should consider something else so that you are not putting a lot of unnecessary impact on those knees. You have many, many options for a workout!

5. lilacwolverine

yes I did buy it for exercise, after being told it was extremely low impact. So, I dunno.:tantrum2:

6. Josephine

Who told you it was 'extremely low' impact? Bet it wasn't your surgeon! :wink1:

7. lilacwolverine

Re: Mini Trampoline/Rebounder THEN PILATES REFORMER

If the mini tramp is no good, then what does everyone think about a Pilates reformer? Wendy

8. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, but whats a Pilates reformer?

9. Josephine

You mean one of these?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sure, why not? :skeptical:

:snork:

Seriously, as long as you are going use it sensibly, then indeed why not!

10. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

Who's the guy in the middle picture? :biggrin:

11. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

Looks like Joseph Pilates (1883-1967), developer of Pilates. Wikipedia has a short article.

12. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I myself would love to do pilates. The excercise club in which we are members has classes for extra cost. So I haven't joined it, but have been told it would be great for excercise and for my knees. The instructor happens to be a PT. (just have too many medical bills as I now wear braces for my jaw issue) :biggrin::biggrin:

Oh that's me in the left picture, giving the equipment a whirl.

13. MapMaker53

MapMaker53 Member

That's very strange. Hospital for Special Surgery in New York has given me the okay to resume the sport of "bocking" once my legs are strong enough (not happening anytime soon), and that is very similar to jumping on a diving spring board or a trampoline. Also a study by NASA concluded that jumping on a trampoline is far easier on the lower joints than jogging because the gradual deceleration when you come down allows the force to be spread through your entire skeleton. For those who do not know what bocking is, you can see it here. SPORT OF BOCKING.

But my advice would be to ask your doctor if you can use a trampoline for PT or exercise post-TKR based on your specific TKR and medical situation.

I have just never heard of not being able to use a trampoline after a TKR. Josephine, Is that based on an old study or on the newer models that allow a greater range of activities? Did screws vs. cemented make a difference in that study?

I think there is probably a HUGE variety of opinions that doctors have regarding post-TKR activities, so I'm not even sure asking one's doctor results in a correct answer -- but it's a good place to start. Certainly, there are crass doctors out there that will simply tell you that you are lucky to be walking without pain and to just get used to being less active. Other doctors might tell you to just enjoy life and do as you please, knowing full well you may be back for a revision which means more money for them. I think we are all pioneers when it comes to doing more activities at younger ages with a TKRs, thanks to better TKR technology and materials. So I don't think anyone really knows what we can do and not do when it boils down to the individual abilities, type of TKR (some are cemented, some have screws, some have long stems, others short stems, etc.), as well as general physical condition of the person (some people have denser bones than others, etc.). Consider the overweight person trying to lose weight who got hurt on a stationary bicycle. Seems like a fine activity until you find out she was impaled on the pole when the seat broke under her 400 lb. weight. (True news story.) So it is really difficult to give advice in a forum regarding post-TKR activities without knowing all of the factors for that individual.

And, no, I don't do flips on my spring stilts. At least not yet. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

Ok, I can just see me trying to bock and then fall and bust my hiney. Imagine the look on my ortho's face when I roll into the ER and he has to repair my broken butt. :DOH:

15. Josephine

All you have said is perfectly true! I just know that knee surgeons I know go pale in the face at the suggestion! And from what I see of bocking, it is similar to the recently published article about bare foot running in that the stress goes up through the ligaments and muscles of the leg rather than the bone. That makes a great deal of difference.

See these articles
    Running shoes changed how humans run
    Running shoes could cause joint strain

16. lilacwolverine

hi everyone, I have been using the reformer and doing Pilates since 2006, bilateral tkr in 2008 and put my swift recovery down to that, and have been using the rebounder for gentle fast walking for ages, and my legs seem fine. Physio thinks the rebounder is fine. I have owned a reformer and a leg press for about 4 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.