BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

May Marvelettes 2012 - Are you having hip surgery in May?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jamie, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    If you're planning surgery in May, welcome to the land of the May Marvelettes! Post in this thread and join our group!! Help your fellow Marvelettes make their way through the pre-surgery wait and on into recovery. Surgery is so much easier when you have folks who are going through it with you!

[​IMG]

And here's hoping that once recovery is complete, you'll all be swingin' and dancing with new joints.
  2. Jjeeps

Jjeeps New Member

Hi Jamie,
    My spouse will have his right hip replaced May 7th. I have been reading then relaying information from the forum for several months. Most of our questions have been asked and answered by others and we really appreciate the information. We do have one question that I haven't found yet. Jim, my husband, will be using a surgeon and hospital that is a five hour drive from our home. We have a medium size SUV but the seats are not overly comfortable and even with a big cushion I am thinking it will be a difficult ride for him. He has said we could put a air mattress in the back and he could lay down all the way, but I am concerned about the 90 degree rule and all the pulling he would have to do to get on and off the mattress. I was wondering if maybe someone else had the answer for getting home without a miserable ride.
  3. Jjeeps

Jjeeps New Member

By the way, I set up the profile for Jim, thinking he will be reading and posting while he is recovering...
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, Jjeeps...welcome to you and your hubby!!!

Your hubby may be more comfortable where he can lie down. Some people use the back seat of their vehicle. Is that possible? He should be mobile enough to get in and out okay using either the front or back seat. I agree it might be a bit tricky to scooch onto an air mattress in the back of the SUV.....not because of the problems with the 90 degree rule, but just the physical effort required to get in t here and back out.

You should probably start a thread of your own in the pre-op forum so you can ask questions and receive direct responses. I think your questions will get a lot more attention that way.
  5. Jjeeps

Jjeeps New Member

Thank you Jamie. It is really nice to know that help is available from others that have gone through the same thing. I will measure the back seat to see how that works.
  6. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Hi Jjeeps..

Welcome to you and your husband. What a thoughtful wife you are to join the BoneSmart family for him. How is your husband going?
  7. Jjeeps

Jjeeps New Member

Thank you Sandy,
    He is going slowly. Most of his pain is when he is moving, he still tries to stay active but everything he does takes 3 times as long as normal. We do go fishing but I do quite a bit of fetching for him because it so hard for him to get up and down. He is able to sleep without much pain and that is a blessing. Reading about other's struggles has helped us both, we don't feel alone and that there is hope for a quality life after surgery. (I hope I didn't misunderstand your question.)

How are you doing? Are you getting around without assistance?

Delores
  8. Poppet

Australia Australia
    I am fine thank you for asking :)

Yes one's quality of life does return slowly, and it has certainly been the best decision for me to have it done. It has given me back my dignity rather than being disabled, if that makes sense :)

Hang in there, soon it will be over xx
  9. Chris56

Chris56 New Member

Hi All

My RTHR is scheduled for 22 May and I am very anxious so I was pleased to find this forum.

I was diagnosed with extensive OA in my right hip and moderate OA in the left in November 2011 and since then my symptoms have been getting worse and worse.

Time is long at the moment. I have bad nights with little sleep because of pain/discomfort and then pain, together with tiredness, means I don't feel up to doing much during the day. How do others cope with this?

My pre-op assessment is due 26 April.

Thanks for reading this

Chris
  10. CDP

CDP Junior Member

Hi Chris

I had my RTHR only 3 weeks ago and only found this forum post op - I wish I had found it before the op as I would have been better prepared for what was and is happening.

Seach, read and ask questions here, it's probably one of the most useful ( and friendly ) forums I have used on any subject.

Cheers

Clive
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Good luck for the 26 April Chris... I am sure everything will go well and you will be on your way to a new quality of life :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. leosmom

leosmom Member

Hi Chris,

That sleeping (or lack of) thing certainly does put a damper on the next day. I, too, have just what you're describing. I'm still working full time (I'm a Controller for a manufacturing firm) and slogging to work each day. It gets tougher towards the end of the week and like this past Thursday, sometimes there's a complete meltdown :cry4: on my part. A lot of what gets me through is positive mental thoughts - I know from my experience 3 years ago with my left THR that this will all end, it's not a life sentence, doing activity during the day now works as a distraction which minimizes focusing on the pain so I push myself, and when I have those meltdowns I can come here and vent.

So, hang in there. Next month both of us will be on the way to a pain free life!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kerilyn

Kerilyn Junior Member

I'm having my surgery on May 7. I am only 47. It is my understanding according to my father it is hereditary as I have a few relatives that have had degenerative arthritis early on also and had hips replaced I am having anxiety about surgery but will also be glad to not have constant pain. My job requires me to be on my feet and moving most of the 8 hours I'm there. I just want to be able to do the things I love pain free. I might be able to golf again by August but after everything I've read that may not be so. I am having the anterior approach done. At my hip surgery class the physical therapist seemed to be saying that this approach may not be a good idea. So now I'm not sure if I should do that. The other nurses there appeared uncomfortable that he eluded that the anterior approach may not be the way to go. So my question is anterior or not? :skeptical:
  14. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The only caveat about it is that the surgeon you choose is very experienced at doing what ever approach is being suggested. Anterior, lateral, posterio-lateral; I can promise you that six months down the line you will find it matters not one jot which one you had! They're all good, all okay and if your surgeon is an anterior enthusiast then that's fine.

Who do you think is more informed to give an opinion on this - that PT or the surgeon?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TECMike

TECMike Junior Member

Put me down for May 03, 2012 for a TRHR. Gracious, I like to see Fred and Ginger dancing. They are perfection dancing together, IMO. Just hope me and my wife can get back to square dancing one day, after her knee revision seven weeks ago and my upcoming hip surgery.

And if things work out perhaps we might even take lessons and learn how to Texas Two-Step!
  16. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi to all the soon to be May Hippies..

Won't be long now.. To your new shiny new hip/s
  17. vikemike

vikemike New Member

I'm scheduled to have my THR on May 22. New to BoneSmart and looking to get all the help and advice I can get before and after the op.
  18. wills640

wills640 Junior Member

I'm in!
    5th May. Still hoping for the Silent Hip but surgeon will make his final decision when he gets in there. I have an awful, lot of previous damage to my pelvis so this may have a bearing on it.
  19. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Welcome to BoneSmart vikemike, you have certainly come to the right place to get the 'good' information.

I would suggest that you start reading through the articles in the Library, there is so much excellent advice and different articles, many written by our resident expert nurse Josephine who has had over 50 years as an ortho ORN, so well qualified. The Library tag is fourth from the left in the grey nav bar..

Once again welcome to the May Marvelettes :)
  20. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi Wills640

Welcome to the BoneSmart family and not long for you now until the 5th.

Have you started getting your nest ready?

There are some very good articles in the library to help you. The library can be found on the grey nav bar at the top of the page..

Once again welcome to the May hippies :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.