TKR Matching Knees RecoveryThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matching knees

Country
United States United States
l TKR 7/13. R TKR 9/15/15. I have to think twice when referring to replaced knee as bad knee. They're both bad in their way. Unless I can find a way out of 2nd replacement in next week and a half, I'll be claiming a matching scar.

Excepting closest family, this hospital stay & recuperation I'm isolating myself. Well-meaning visitors while I'm in pain, random chaplain saying prayers while I'm giving blood, toddler-granddaughter touching equipment and friends bringing unsolicited food offerings to the house ("If you'd just save my container & get it back to me.") helped me not at all. The offers of rides for P/T appointments couldn't be counted on. So, with the zeal of End of Earther types, the freezer is crammed, humor memoirs stocked, Netflix/Amazon comedies "watch listed", para transit bus card, and, yes, fiber pills ready.

Welcome to the Bonesmart family!!! we are certainly glad that you have found us and we will be here to answer your questions, deal with your concerns, and assist you through the entire recovery. Here is hoping that you get the next one done easily and as quickly!

Have you taken a look at the forum library? It is full of useful articles that will help you you understand all of the facets of a TKR recovery---here they are for you. They are rather short, but full of very useful information.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I did have some of the same incidents occur when I was recovering, too---one of my best friends showed up while I was in the early days of recovery---and the Oxycontin that I was taking for the pain made me feel very chilled. We heat our home with a rather large woodburning stove, and I think that I had the temperature in the house around what working around a blast furnace would be like! He didn't say anything about it until much later on---we both had a great laugh over it!

Please come back and tell us more about yourself and let us know what we can do to help you out!

My RTKR was July 9, and I forbade anyone but my husband from coming to the hospital. I had my boss and a couple of family members come by my house. That was ok. I am having my second knee done October 1, and same thing goes. Leave me alone, please. If I want sympathy, I will come on bonesmart. Good luck to you, surgery sister!

Your the patient and you set the rules! But I agree with you, don't like everyone up in my business when I am in pain or recovery. We got enough trying to heal without entertaining and making chit chat. Good on you!

I agree at those times last thing you need is trying to put a brave front on. I had wayyy too many visitors and it was very difficult to put the face on when I just wanted to say ow.

Legin THR Sep 14

I certainly agree, like everyone on here does! Good luck with your second surgery! Your gonna feel sooo much better, after you get through the recovery! Not having that constant knee pain, and all that goes with it!
I now have 2 new knees, first one done last October, and the 2nd done in july! I am happy I had it done, I get around so much better!!

I agree you're going to feel so much better. I'm now 6½ years and 9 months and feeling great! Just altely, I've decidedto stop crawling up teh stairs like the overweight, 73 year old I am and am now running u0p as fast as I can! Standard flight of 14 steps and I can now do it in about 10 seconds flat - or upwards! :heehee:

I've been lurking around Bonesmart forums for a bit. In between stocking freezer, cleaning bending-needed corners, sanitizing loan closet raised toilet seat & walker (thank you Commission on Aging) and pre-op appointments, I've scoured knee replacement articles here. I've learned from fellow osteoarthritis victims/survivors. Stories of pain, courage and success. You double knee patients, well, I'd bow to you if I thought I could straighten without help.

Of interest to me are postings from the UK, Canada, Australia. We in the U.S. tend to forget ours is not the only way. LTKR (7/16/13) was only a 70% success. Lots of physical therapy, some so painful I was discouraged. Bonesmart, your UK take-it-easy philosophy is eye opening. Therapy already scheduled after 9/15/15 RTKR, but I'll be in control. Pain is not gain.

For this 2nd recovery, I've prescribed massive doses of laughter (in between naps) for myself. Saved Netflix comedies, Amazon stand-up comedians, Kindle humorous memoirs, YouTube will get hit hard. Now that I've discovered the warm Bonesmart forum community, can I call on you to send a joke, or a smile my way?

Thanks. Carol
RTKR. 9/15/15
LTRK. 7/16/13
L Arthroscopy. 3/12

Wow you are and have been ready. My knee replace sucks lol. But day by day it's getting easier. I had partial dec 14 something happend. Had have revision 3-15 and still have therapy and pain. Day to day we don't know what to expect. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Carol, I am so glad that you have "seen the light"!! My second knee was so much easier mainly because i, like you, decided to take it easy. The end result? Better rom!!

So, don't allow any PT anywhere to cause pain to your knee---that is what makes the knee worse. Gentle stretches are the answer for the first couple of weeks while you are lying down a lot and helping the swelling to go down.

I love the comedy idea, I think you are right on the money. I also watched the complete set of Jane Austen's work. I have seen Pride and Prejudice at least five times and still love it. I will send you jokes!!! Good luck with your knee.

Hi Carol, @Matching knees
I'm glad BoneSmart has already been helpful to you and I wish you the best of luck for your second TKR on the 15th. We'll be here for you.

I'm going to give you our recommended recovery reading list, so you have it for reference:
First are the BoneSmart mantras - our recovery philosophy
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise a little, but only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

My surgeon, in New Zealand, uses the same approach to recovery as we recommend here on BoneSmart and his patients all do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be thinking of you Tuesday, and waiting to hear how you are doing.

At the risk of my head swelling like my knees - my 1st forum post and I feel like a celebrity. You replied! How easy is this recovery gonna be, I have a community that understands! (Perhaps stardom has gone to my head, trust that I can be even more depressed than manic.)

Ski girl, send those jokes! They don't even have to be funny, after 9/15 I'll be a captive drugged audience.

Celle, from New Zealand, how wonderful! I'd love to compare our health care. For now, I'll continue to read the articles you've shared. The ones (especially on nutrition) I've read already are so helpful.

Angel 1978, you're too young for new body parts! Too young for "something went wrong". Too young for revision, pain and months of recovery. Come back to my thread & we'll help each other through the rough moments.

Thank you all.

Good luck from Canada. I will be waiting for updates. Take your meds on time and take it easy with pt.

Hope things are OK with youn

Legin THR Sep 14

merge 5.jpg
your two recovery threads, @Matching knees. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

You can see that you get duplicate information (two sets of library links) when you have more than one recovery thread, and if you don't keep up with both, you often miss out on input from others.

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

In the 2 years since 1st TKR, I've had to take large dose of antibiotics before dental work and will for the rest of my life. I've learned from Bonesmart, processes may differ elsewhere - antibiotics where you are, especially not USA?

I am in the US, but my OS lowerered the dose significantly of the antibiotics he recommends.

My dentist says a small antibiotic about an hour prior to care. My surgeon was indifferent about it, but said maybe for the first six months or so. Which means I could either get a one time dose or skip it prior to my scheduled cleaning in November; however, if I'm getting anything more invasive done, I might feel better getting the antibiotic just in case. I'm not fond of taking antibiotics just to take them due to the resistance they've been building up, making treatment more difficult in the long run.

Of course, I come from the line of people who believe it's important to challenge the immune system just a little to keep it performing in tip top shape. Not crazy stuff, but it's important to keep it fit just like the rest of the body. (This is just my opinion -- no idea how much medical support there is for that theory.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member