BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[TKR] Margie's new right knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by vegasmomof3, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Yay Im home. Had my Right TKA on Monday, March 12, 2012!! I was discharged today and will have home health care tomorrow. Surgery went well, OS said my knee was worse than he thought, lol. Unfortunately he had a family emergency that day and had to go out of town. I had my surgery at an USAF Medical Center. Another OS stepped up to the plate and took care of me. I had a General Anetesia with a Femoral Block. I also had a morphine pump which helped in the first few days. I then started percocet and celibex. I had my cell phone alarm set which helps alot. I am taking 2 percocet every 4 hours, aarm is set!! I have a Polar ice machine that they gave me upon discharge. Guess I didn't need one from ebay,lol. The one i got on ebay is larger so I will use that along with the cooler pad from the Polar Care machine, since I know its my cooties!! And it works on my machine. Im just trying to get the feeling of walking normal. It just feels weird, especially since I need my left one done too. I used the Cpm in hospital getting up to 90 degrees. I also worked my heel pumps, heel slides and pressing my quads to bed holding down. Only day 4 and plenty of more to go. I am excited about where I am right now I know my knee is boss so rest, ice, elevate, and pain meds on schedule!! I had my up and down days but I have to expect that too. Thank You all for your kind words and prayers. I can say now to those that havent had there knees done yet, DO IT. This is a life changing experience and it is difficult but that is controlled by all the Bonesmart, Smarties!!!

Thanks

Margie
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    What an "upper" of a post, Margie!!! You are doing so great mentally and that is more than half the battle in recovery. Keep it up!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. goodasnew

goodasnew Graduate

Great attitude Margie - so glad to read you're home and doing well. Be gentle with yourself, do those heel slides etc and rest, rest, rest! I had mine done 8 months apart and the second one was much easier being supported by the first TKR. Keep us posted, you have lots of good things to look forward to!:wink1:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Well done Margie, sounds like you're doing great. Take care.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

There you are, Margie! Glad to see that everything went well for you and you're home. Hope to read about your progress in the next weeks and months.

Hugs.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Today has been pretty good. It is day 6! Went for a car ride with an ice bag on my knee. Never got out just went along for the ride. It was prolly about 1 hour. I actually enjoyed it. Sitting here doing my heel slides, gotta love that rubber band feeling! So tight. But its progress,lol. Im getting lots of rest, ice and elevation. My cell phone is charging, I have multiple alarms set. Husband made some grilled pork chops, veggie and white rice. My appetite was pretty good. I do have moments of feeling sick to my stomach but I have been controlling that with Crackers. I also take my pain meds with milk this has helped alot. Tomorrow is my 1 week anniversay,lol. Did I say I LOVE MY NEW RIGHT KNEE??? :biggrin:

Margie
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Cynthia07

Cynthia07 Member

that's great Margie!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Wonderful report, Margie. It sounds like you're doing just fine. How nice you could get out of the house today.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Thinking of my March Muskateers having there TKR today, Mary and Vivian you are in my prayers.

Margie
  10. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

Margie.. You should be the poster girl for doing TKR recovery right!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Everything seems to be going well. I find re learning to walk is the hardest thing for me right now. Im at Day 10! I am very happy I made the decision to have the TKR and now can't wait til I get the Left one done.

Margie
  12. Lori

Lori Senior

Thanks so much for your encouraging posts! I will be having my old knee switched out on 6-4-12. I plan to have my bike helmet & ice skates in my hospital room! I really look forward to doing the fun things that I haven't been able to do for a long time.

Keep posting so that all us of who are waiting can join in your successes! :thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Lori I'm excited for you! My youngest daughter was a competitive ice skater for 11 yrs. She achieved the highest level in US Figure Skating passing her Senior Freeskate test 3 yrs ago. She is a senior in High School now and will be heading to college in the Fall. She now enjoys coaching the young skaters at skate school. I have never tried to skate maybe I will have her teach me a few moves, lol. I have no doubt you will once again enjoy the things you have had to put away because of your knee. Im just so determined to enjoy hiking, traveling, and riding a bike along the beach in Southern California. Stay focused and motivated. Oh and for me I laugh out loud a lot at myself. :biggrin:

Margie
  14. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

12 days post op. I find sleeping in the recliner the most comfortable. I only wake up when I have to use the restroom. The only problem I have had is with the home PT. I was 9 days post op and finally had to call to find out when someone would be calling to set up,an appt. Had PT come on tues for an evaluation and ordered a c p m machine. I received machine wednesday and the Rep explained the machine and put me in it. PT was suppose to come Weds. But was told on tues. if not weds, then thurs. Well I had to call Thurs. find out when they would be coming. PT came at 5:15pm and did another evaluation cuz it was a different PT person. He then decides to up the c p m machine to 100 when I had worked my way up to 75. When I left hospital 4 days post op I was at 95 but hadn't used the c p m machine for 6 days. I did not know he put it at 100 and was in pain for 2 hrs. He had left after he put me in c p m and said he would be back Friday if not Friday then Saturday. Well I have not heard from him since thursday and told my husband I'm firing him and just going to do outpatient PT. I will call my insurance company on Monday to get Outpatient PT approval. I am so frustrated with all this Home PT. I am doing heel slides, foot pumps, quad raises and am up to 95 on c p m. I also do some stretching. I ice, elevate, and take my pain pills. I walk around the house without any walking devices. I am going to go buy a cane today for when I'm out of the home. Thanks all for listening to me vent, lol, I know this is long.

Margie
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

Margie: not all home PT are the same. I had a good home health company and an exellent PT. In addition to monitoring my exercises and encouraging my stretches, she gave me good advice about food, nutrients, exercises down the road, scar massage, dealing with the pharmacy, sleeping position and she even petted my cat. I'm very happy with them. Sorry yours was subpar; but you took action!:yay:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Pooshay I'm normally a very positive happy individual and just roll with the punches, lol. I am so lucky to have found this fabulous site before I had my TKR. All the advice has been such a great help. I am glad you had a great home health company, lol, can you send them to Vegas!:biggrin: I am going to keep positive and I may not even know my ROM but I know that it will be what I want when all is done! Have a great weekend I'm going to go buy a cane today! Never thought I be so excited about buying a cane, lol. Maybe because I'm actually going shopping even if it's is at a medical supply store. Lol.

Margie
  17. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

Margie. Felt the same when we went shopping for a riser for the potty! :hysterical:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Margie, I think Roy posted that he didn't do anything for the first 4 weeks and has had a wonderful recovery. IMO, he's on the right track, gentle exercise until you get rid of some of the swelling seems to be the best way to recover. I was having 3 hrs of pt every day and frankly, my numbers were all over the place and my ability to motorvate changed from day to day for no good reason. Get your PT straightened out, but I wouldn't worry to much right now about hitting it hard because you are motivated to recover so it will happen when it's supposed to. I posted previously about the CPM machines, each doc and PTherapist have their own opinions about their usefulness, so again, I don't think using it or not will make much of a difference in the overall scheme of things.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

@ pooshay that is too funny!:hysterical:

@ Bev you are so right. And while I was out the PT guy called my cell and left a message that he was at my house. I mean seriously what ever happen to setting up appointment times, my home health nurse does in advanced! So I choose to just move on that's me. And as far as the CPM machine I actually love the passive motion. I feel good and I refuse to push it, especially after the PT guy put it at 100 the other day. It took me 10 minutes to figure it out and I shut it down and got off the machine. I will keep doing my exercises for now and the CPM. From reading other posts I know my progress may be different than the next and when my knee says it's time to give me a little more ROM than I will gladly except it!:biggrin: I'm in this for the long haul. Just the little walking I did while getting my cane and a smoothie from the smoothie shop was awesome! I couldn't believe how straight my leg was as I stared in the window and walked. Kept checking out my gait, bend, etc. Boy was I so happy. Then I came home and put ice on it and elevated. Going out to dinner tonite and I am looking forward to it. Its all baby steps but that's fine I'm gonna have so much fun when my knee says "it's time". Until then I will do things slow n steady wins the race!:loll:

Margie
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Margie that is sooo cool! I could just see you standing in front of that shop window admiring your legs! :loll:
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.