BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Made it to the other side.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by GearQueen, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GearQueen

GearQueen Junior Member

I'm 8 days out now and doing ok. I was surprised when I woke after surgery,that I had very little pain. I had the femoral block, and it worked great. My pain level stayed very low for 2 days, and that is amazing since I got up so often to pee. It seemed at least every couple of hours,day and night. I was able to get around a bit with my walker, just a few hours after getting back to my room. What a nice surprise. My doc thought I was doing well enough, to not have to spend a 3rd night in the hospital. I was so happy to see and feel, my bed. Nursing center brought me my motion machine, and I was set.
    Pain got a little worse after no more block, but not more than a 3 or 4 when I would get up to move. I did have quite a bit of nausia, and could not eat much, but got something different from doc and all is well again.
    The worst pain I've had was the first poop, which I felt like I had addressed from the moment I woke up from surgery, but It still took 3 days and hurt quite a bit.
    PT came for the 2nd session, last night, and I was in a lot of pain from that. It didnt seem like much at the time, but I hurt bad,for several hrs after, I could not get comfortable. I will have to learn to take it a little easier with PT .
    The pain meds are working pretty well to keep me comfortable, but boy have I been foggy. This is the first time that I,ve felt like I would be able to focus on the computer.
    It sure is hard to lay around so much, and be waited on, but I think that will pass quickly.
    I'm very happy to be on the other side and recovering in a new way!

2. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Congratulations on your new knee. It's great to hear you're doing so well.

But what do you mean by it's hard to be waited on? Surely that's the best bit:biggrin:. Make the most of it while you can it'll be back to normal soon enough (you could always feign a sore knee when you feel like a bit of pampering - who's to know :snork:?)

Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

xoxo

3. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Queenie-

Remember to take a stool softener or you will find the pooping part your biggest hurdle. Colace works great if taken twice daily. Ice and take meds prior to PT and then directly after, or you'll get behind the pain which makes it difficult to catch up. Lay back and relax, it'll be a good number of weeks before you begin to feel anywhere near normal. Best of luck!

4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  5. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Congratulations on your new knee! I hope your recovery continues on the tolerable path. Rest and enjoy being waited on, you deserve it! I look forward to your posts. Take care!

6. grabbit97

grabbit97 Senior

Congratulations on making it to OUR side!!!
    Its a great thing that they can do with modern medicine eh?
    Ice, Rest, Elevate and do move around a bit.
    Do keep us posted..

7. AussieBill1962

AussieBill1962 Member

Hi Gear Queen,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm just a little ahead of you I'm day 12 post TKR.
    I have had no one waiting on me, lucky you. Just writing on the IPad with my leg iced up and elevated. Foggy as well with Oxycodone, but keep up the meds and ice. I have been perhaps a little too enthusiastic regarding goals, but this is an excellent place to get support and answers.

8. GearQueen

GearQueen Junior Member

Thanks Mother Hen, I have read them all, and know they will help. I think I will refer back to them often.

9. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi GearQueen

Congratulations on your new knee! You sound like you are doing well but take it easy on the PT - do not over do it at this early stage. Take it nice and easy, try to enjoy be waited on as it will not last forever :thumb: Keep us posted.

10. GearQueen

GearQueen Junior Member

2weeks out and making good progress.

The last couple of days I've had a couple of good things happen. Both extensions and bends are coming along nicely. Doc says I'm bit ahead of normal. Also around the house I've been able to get around with one crutch comfortably, which has been great, I can actually go get my self a drink of water, which somehow seems like an accomplishment. And best of all, a couple of days ago I started just rocking back and forth on my exercise bike. Next day I was able to comfortably make a revolution. I was very excited and wanted to just keep going, but I was a good girl and kept it to about 4 minutes. This morning after my walk, I was able to do a revolution pretty easily, and peddled for 10 min. This was a major thing for me, and turned up my happiness scale a bunch. I,m working on my flexing and extending as much as possible. For me the extensions are the hardest, but I've tried to make it more pleasant by massaging my leg while doing the extensions, so that it kind of feels good. I can't stand to just let my leg hang and hurt.
    I feel lucky that recovery is moving along, and my pain level has required less pain killers the last couple of days, to stay comfortable. Doc says its because I was in good shape to start with. Boy am I glad about that.

11. Pleinair5

Pleinair5 Member

Re: 2weeks out and making good progress.

Good news, GearQueen,
    You are doing great!!

12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States

Congratulations on your great steps forward during your recovery! Keep posting to let us know your progress!:thumb::thumb:

13. Izzy0608

Izzy0608 Junior Member

Hiya GearQueen

Sounds like your are doing great, don't overdue things, and remember to ice, ice, ice. It really helps.
    Take care.
    Sheila

14. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Good job, Gearqueen!
    One thing that you said is stuck in my mind. Many of us are in horrible shape because of our knees. I know that is me. I'm having the surgery JUST so I can walk from one room to another. I can barely get from one room to another with the pain and my cane. So, according to your doc, my recovery will not be easy. Not calming at all.
    Wishing you a continued easy recovery.

15. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Your stellar recovery is the kind of happy story that I need to read this morning.

However, being in shape before TKR didn't help after, in my case. Maybe I should've had your doc!

Nyland, don't fret because you may be pleasantly surprised. Where are you having your replacement done? I've just been down to Mass. General for a 2nd opinion.

16. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Nyland-

I rode my bike a couple miles a day prior to surgery, my legs have always been in great shape. Didn't help with my recovery, which IMHO is moving like a turtle. What I have realized is, it doesn't matter! Your knees really do lead the way so I'm only going as fast as they want to go. My calf and thighs strength increased at about 6 weeks when I noticed a subtle decrease in swelling. Remember that we share our experiences so that we can learn from one another, don't be quick to compare what your recovery could be, each one is very unique. Chin up! :biggrin:

17. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

GearQueen, So glad to hear your good fortune!:yahoo: Everyone loves to hear a happy story, it gives us all hope!:biggrin: I wish you continue success and a speedy recovery!:wubroses:

18. GearQueen

GearQueen Junior Member

Thanks Everyone,for the encouragement. It is very interesting to me that every one does heal so differently. I feel very lucky with this tkr and my recovery so far. It has been quicker, and with way less pain than my acl repair, many years ago. I guess I would have to give my OS some of the credit. One reason that I picked him, is because he is a sports doc,and he's all about getting people back to the sports they love. Is it possible that his skills and focus, somehow caused just a touch less trauma? I don't know, but I am pleased that it is going well for me, and that my pain has been well managed, and that I'm moving as well as I am.
    When I found this forum, I looked for and read positive posts, about good recoveries, and found them very inspiring for me. So I wanted to post mine, and let people know that some times it goes pretty smoothly, with a bit of motivation and work and luck.
    I am kind of a sports nut, with my passion being windsurfing, but also love mountain biking, snow kiting, unicycling, hiking, and used to love basketball, tennis, racquetball.
    I am very motivated to get back to windsurfing, and am working hard to get back to it. I also am a whimp about pain, so my plan is to get strong without causing too much pain. I know that it is a real balancing act to do that, but I have experiance, and have been through the acl, a hysterectomy (with the bikini cut) and 4 knee scopes followed with PT. So I know me and my recovery pretty well. I know for me, how hard to push me. I also am the queen of ice and elevation. As soon as I get back from a walk, or bike spin, I get the ice back on and elevate. I've told myself, that it's my job right now. So far I feel like its working for me.

19. jancat

jancat Sr Bonesmartie

Thanks for your inspiring story, Gearqueen, I hope your recovery continues uneventfully!
    @Nyland- I too was in BAD shape before my surg. because of my knee, but I am 5 weeks post-op and doing pretty well. Started OP PT this week, going 3X/week and it is going very well. I don't know my 'numbers' but I am not really fixated on them- I have decent ROM and a teeny bend in flexion (~3-5 degrees). My PT is not fixated on them either although he is measuring and paying attention to them. Still need pain meds, still icing, elevating, healing.
    Yes, it is our job now to heal. Let's keep working hard at it! Happy Healing, all!

20. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Mary,
    I've chosen to have David Ayers at UMMHC to do my TKRs. Have you made a decision yet? Have you seen anyone at NE Baptist? Who did you see at Mass General?
    Thank you, dear Bev! Since this is so unknown (and scary) I admit that I am one of those sponges that is reading every story, trying to figure this all out for myself. Great job after 6 weeks, my friend! Congrats! I wish you continued healing success and accomplishments.
    Hi Jancat,
    I'm so glad that it is getting better for you! My only aspirations are to be able to walk from room to room, from my car to my office, and in the yard without a cane. To be able to do these little things would make me so happy and feel so free!
    Gearqueen,
    I wish you a continued fabulous recovery. I can't wait to see your first posts after you have been wind surfing, mountain biking, snow kiting, and unicycling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.