LTKR on August 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

mla925

Country
United States United States
Michele here, and getting close to the big day. I had my left medial meniscus removed long ago and that surgeon predicted I would have pain and arthritis in my future. Almost 40 years later and he was finally right. Pain only became a limiting issue in the last two years. I've had three series of Orthovisc injections. The first set left me pain free for months; the next set worked for a shorter time, and the last set in June 2015 wasn't very effective. My "deformity" (as my ortho refers to my lumpy, bent knee) has become much more pronounced, and it's just time to get my mobility and energy back.

I've completed my pre-admission physical and tests, and have taken my class (along with my sister who will be my initial caregiver). I have a Tuesday appointment with my ortho for a final pre-surgery visit. Will also have my "devices" delivered and fitted that day ... CPM machine, walker and crutches.

Since I have 26 stairs to scale at home so I'll be spending the first part of my recovery with my sister in her single story home and walk-in shower. I only have shower/tub combination and don't look forward to making that step over the tub. Any suggestions as to safely making that easier?

Two concerns: I've had elevated liver function tests recently and have had an auto-immune issues diagnosed. I'm concerned that the amount of pain meds may cause an issue, but all my doctors are in touch, so I know it's noted. And I wish I could predict more about returning to work to my mostly sedentary job. I'm hopeful for 6 weeks, but will see how it goes. But good for me to have a goal.

Appreciate all the information and support here!

mia925,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you decided to join us.
Sounds like you are very well prepared for your recovery. Ask your OT about a shower bench for your tub shower combo at home, there are benches available that hang over the side a little, you can sit down, and bring your leg over the edge of the tub.
We normally recommend return to work at 12 weeks to allow your soft tissues to heal. Sometimes that is not possible, allow for breaks to elevate and ice your knee. Some use an overturned office trash can.
You also will want to follow a Phased return to work
I am going to tag @Josephine our forum orthopedic nurse to answer your questions about liver function, and immune deficiency.

@mla925 Hey there! My surgery is just 2 days before yours. All ready except the waiting. I have 1 more week of work left then the weekend to get groceries, clean house, etc. I am soooo nervous!! I too am getting my left knee done but wish my OS didn't talk me out of getting both done together. Right now my right knee is so swollen and painful. During my surgery my OS will drain that knee and give me a cortisone injection. Although nervous I'm so glad it's almost here. I am having such a hard time just walking around. I'm out of work for 8 weeks but will see how it goes.

:welome: I also only have a tub shower and the bath bench worked great.

Thanks, all. Spent the day looking at extendible shoe horns, toilet frames and bath benches on Amazon (and a few new dvd's),and measuring space. Really appreciate all the information and guidance.

They should show you during your therapy in the hospital or rehab center how to get in and out of a tub.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Check and see what the hospital sends home with you. I was astounded to be supplied with a bedside commode (that can also be used over your existing toilet to provide arms and height), a walker, and a motorized aircast cryocuff. You will need something in the way of a shower chair. I got a 12" round seat with adjustable legs. I made it as tall as possible and it works great. I also bought a body pillow and it is my best friend. Will be watching your recovery thread!

I'm getting my walker, crutches and CPM delivered and fitted tomorrow. And the UPS man will be bringing a leg lifter, shoe horn and DVDs. Need to take a look at body pillows - thanks for suggesting it!

Well, my last weekend before the big day. Stayed busy making a few meals for the freezer, and a quick shopping trip. Ran into a lovely lady who had her knee replaced 6/29 and was doing great 5 weeks out. So nice to have that as part of my day.

Also took my CPM to my sister's home about 7 miles away. I'll be staying with her the first week or so as she has no stairs (I have 26 to get to the living space) and a walk-in shower with a built in seat (I have tub/showers with sliding doors), and I think she will be better at helping me those first few days than my husband might do. He is a lovely fellow, but I think those first days might be a bit overwhelming for him.

Now to finish the final laundry and pack my recovery bag. It will be Thursday before I know it!!

I'll be thinking of you on Thursday! I'll be at the four week mark this Tuesday. Like you, a torn meniscus, removed in the 1970's, started my journey to this year's TKR. Sounds like you've got a great post-surgery recovery plan in place. I wasn't permitted to shower until after my staples were removed (about 2 weeks after the surgery), but others have had waterproof dressings and were allowed to do so sooner.

@mia925. Good luck on Thursday. I will be thinking of you. Once you are there and they give you the happy drugs you won't be worried about anything. It's the waiting is the hardest part :happydance:

Will be thinking of you Thursday. I will be 5 weeks out that day and am here to tell you that if you follow the bonesmart mantra, you will do great. I still take one percocet plus two Tylenol PM to help me sleep at night, but no pain meds other than that. In the beginning I took the meds religiously as prescribed, ringing for them in the hospital whether I needed them or not. So I got ahead of the pain, and now do not hurt at all. As far as physical therapy goes, listen to your knee. It might feel like you are stretching and slightly uncomfortable, but it should not hurt. If the knee says no, that means no! Keep us posted!

@mla925 I am now 1 day post op and so glad the waiting is finally over!!!!! I feel like I did well although knee is starting to swell. I am icing and doing gentle stretches. Asking for my oxy every 4 hours. They are really great here. Had a nice walk down the hall. Good luck to you tomorrow. You got this :)

Appreciate all the good wishes. I need to be at the admitting desk at 5 am, and then to the surgical unit for my 7:30 am TKR. Looking forward to seeing you all on the recovery side!

Michele

@mia925. Thinking of you today. I know you will be happy when it's all done. See you on the other side:loveshwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom