LTHR anterior approach July 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.

concal

Country
United States United States
This will be my second hip replacement. Had the posterior approach in 2012. I was very happy with the outcome and was back to riding my horse in 12 weeks. I recently moved, lost my support friends and decided to go the anterior route as I live alone and am totally on my own since the move. I am nervous because I had to go on gut feelings picking a surgeon. I did not know the 'go to guy' as I did before the move. I do trust the surgeon I picked but it is still scary to live in a new state and be so alone. I am stubborn and independent so I hope to have a speedy recovery and be back on my horse maybe even sooner than before.

@concal, well, at least you have the benefit of the experience from your first THR and can plan accordingly. I'm sure you will do fine, so many folks on this forum advocate the anterior approach and give some insight as to how they differ regarding the recovery. You'll be hearing from those here with experience. I have zero as my LTHR is scheduled for 7/25. Good luck to you and keep checking in with this forum...there is a wealth of knowledge here as well as an outstanding support group!

Welcome --- and you are no longer alone as you have a whole bunch of new friends who "have been there, done that". :console2:

You sound like me --- Stubborn and independent!

:horseriding:

Also horseback riding was one of my main "requirements" to be able to do after surgery and the biggest reason I held out as long as I did. So many of the surgeons I met with said no way to horseback riding. I finally found a surgeon this year that did anterior supine approach that felt riding would be no problem and indeed cleared me to try at two week mark to get on horse before six week post-op check leaving it up to me to decide exactly when. I did get on then and rode a little in the paddock but went for my first "real" ride at 11 weeks. I know hip-wise I very well could have earlier but had some other issues I had to deal with first. You can read about my first trail ride at http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/me2-and-recovery.23985/page-12 You are so lucky to be able to keep horse with you when moving! @Lmflora is also a recent hippie with much more riding experience than me! You may want to look at her recovery thread.

I am also thinking of when the time is right for doing the other hip. It is a big decision. :chinstroke:

Thanks Me2, you sound as determined to ride as I am. For the first hip replacement, the surgeon told me I could ride at 6 weeks but that was a joke as I had no control of my R leg due to muscles being cut. I held out as long as I could, but finally felt safe at 12 weeks. I am hoping with the anterior approach that I can ride sooner. I held out for 2 more years after the first one, mostly because I ride almost daily and the thought of not riding is too stressful to consider, but here I am getting ready to do it again, mostly out of necessity.

I am frustrated to say that I avoided riding for 3-4 years even as much as I missed it. I couldn't balance in the saddle and couldn't figure out why (duh?). I didn't realize how hip related it was until now post-surgery.

Unfortunately, riding (and sex) are the two biggies that really directly cause right (non-surgical) hip pain right now. I am trying to decide if that is enough to do second surgery. I am so enjoying the riding I do -- and though it hurts the non-surgical side some during ride and a lot after the ride, is that sufficient? So happy to know someone else out there that enjoys riding enough to include it in decision making process.

But for you, know that with anterior I only had 2-3 weeks of definitely out of saddle. Twas only my own worry and fear and not the surgeon's that held me up. But then, I gave it up for3-4 years so?

Also note too though that I had absolutely almost no pain in surgical side from immediately after surgery with only once a day Celebrex for two weeks after hospital.

The hip pain only gets worse. I had so much pain prior to the first surgery that I ended up sitting on my horse and crying because I could not stand the pain anymore. I have a huge tolerance to pain, but that was the final straw. I think you will know when enough is enough, especially after being through the pain process with your left hip. I am not nearly in the pain I was with the first replacement but knowing it only gets worse, decided to be proactive and just do it <g> Think of all the good riding times (and other times too) you will give up if you let that pain take charge and it just gets worse and worse.

@concal, you are certainly not alone anymore. BoneSmart is an international family ready to support you through your second THR.

Like you, I have just chosen a surgeon in a new area for my second THR. I did a bit of research but much of my choice was also gut feeling. If you trust your surgeon - that's half the battle.

@concal, @Me2, I'm chuckling a bit about the riding horses & sex comment....that's the shining light at the end of this very long tunnel for hubby...we celebrate our 20th in November and I think he's hopeful!
:loveshwr: :cheers2:

Think of all the good riding times (and other times too) you will give up if you let that pain take charge and it just gets worse and worse.

Yea, I am very much thinking of that . . . I couldn't even get on my Storm for so long . . . the last several times I almost passed out as I got on in the years before surgery. Bad way to start a ride. I too have very high pain tolerance, I can just ignore most pain but . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member