BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[PARTIAL KR] LPRK May 9, 2012

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by JustmeT, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    The past two days I haven't been able to tolerate anything for pain...even Tylenol is giving pain in my stomach. I have been icing and elevating but that's not even taking the edge of the pain I am feeling this evening. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, T.
  2. bassplayer

bassplayer Senior

Sounds like you need to speak to your doctor urgently.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jacksmor

jacksmor New Member

So sorry you are in such pain. I wish I had a solution for you. If it were me, I would be on the line to my doctor for immediate help for the stomach, the knee, or both! Hope you get some relief soon!
    Kay
    TRKR 6/4/12
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Morning Glory

Morning Glory Senior

United States United States
    You really do need to talk to your doctor. There has to be something he can give you to keep your stomach happy and let you tolerate the pain medication you need. I wish I had a better answer. Other then the ice you're already doing I can't think of anything. Hope you get some relief soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

:iagree:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

The other reason to talk to your doctor is that although it seems obvious that your stomach pain is tied to pain meds, there may be a condition going on that needs to be addressed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    I will be calling the dr in the AM...my stomach is feeling OK now that I have stopped taking the pain meds. The only now is that I cannot get any relief for my knees.

Thanks for your replies...T.
  8. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

hmmm had another thought . . . I've never heard it used for TKR recovery but maybe it's worth throwing out the notion of a fentanyl transdermal patch when you see your doctor. Again, I haven't a clue whether it's appropriate but it's worth mentioning. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know what happens.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

I think my mom had some kind of pain patch when she had her tkr...
    I don't know if you're taking your pain meds on an empty stomach, but I found I had to have at least a couple of crackers with them.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Both excellent suggestions. Never take meds on an empty stomach and if you still get nauseous, the doctor can always give you an anti-emetic to stop it. He might also give you an acid inhibitor to stop the stomach irritaion. You need pain meds to get a good recovery.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    I didn't realize how much I did depend on pain meds to keep the knee feeling good when I was up, out and about. I haven't needed to take them regularly for a while but I did rely on them when needed. Friday past I did much more walking, on the beach, up and down a long set of outdoor stairs to a beach and taking the kids to swimming lessons that required a significant walk down and back up a hill. I was feeling pretty good the whole day until that evening when the knee made its presence known loud and clear. I took a tramadol (not on an empty stomach) and the trouble began, I was in more pain from my stomach than from the knee...earlier in the day I took Tylenol and that caused a little pain but it went away so I thought no more about it. I haven't taken anything since because I am not willing to cause myself that pain again but my knee is not happy. I just cannot make it comfortable, it feels like I cannot extend or flex it as much as I could and when I do flex it, it hurts like heck :gaah:! I have iced, elevated, stretched, rested, walked, talked to it and it just doesn't want to meet me half way...what to do? I am sincerely hoping that I can get an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow, the chances of that happening are less than 10% but one can always hope.
  12. Morning Glory

Morning Glory Senior

I hope you get in to see him. Or at least talk to him so maybe he can prescribe you something till you can get in. It's awful to be in pain and not able to do anything about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

And something that we have all experienced I am sure..You have some really good days and then oops..this one was really painful..Sounds like a call to the dr is in order..and you do know that there is always someone on call, even on the weekend.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    This sounds like a problem that calls for an urgent appointment. Surely there must be some system at your doctor's surgery for making urgent appointments? You need pain relief and you need to get some help for your stomach pain. Don't just hope - insist. Keep on insisting until you do get your appointment. If you can, take someone with you for backup and support.

As for me, I'm a pushy patient (ex-nurse, so that figures :blush: ) so, in this situation, I'd arrive when the surgery opens and say I am going to sit there until I'm seen. That's not for everyone, though, so try just being emphatic on the phone!

Best wishes,
    Celle
    • Like Like x 1
  15. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

In the meantime, seeing as the knee will not meet you halfway, then perhaps a few days of TOTAL rest. No stretching, walking, etc. - don't you think?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    I called to get an appointment with my family dr today, I may get one on Wednesday. The knee has calmed down a wee bit trying to not do anything to aggravate it...stomach is still wanting to protest but I am watching that too.
    :thankyou:everyone for your replies...! T.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I hope you and your doctor can work something out, so that your knee and your stomach are both happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    Its raining here today but warm, I won't mind sitting and resting a little on a day like this but here I am thinking there has to be something I can/should do...I am one of those who cannot seem to sit back and enjoy the inactivity especially when forced, :loll:!
    My stomach is feeling much better and the knee has quieted down quite a bit all without medication however its taken lots of ice and rest.
  19. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

I do hope you can get this solved. You don't want to hurt your stomach but you also don't want to hurt your recover. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustmeT

JustmeT Graduate

Canada Canada
    This has me all excited...and hopeful...my knee looks like a knee, a real knee again, I just noticed it a little while ago when I took the ice pack off. :happydance: Its the little things that gives encouragement sometimes and this little thing just gave me some, I feel like jumping up and down and shouting woo hoo! Instead I will sit here with my knee elevated and just smile, hahahaha, who am I kidding....I will shout woo hoo anyways. I am more vain than I thought...hahahaha! :scary:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.